3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you consider quitting trad?? Tough year. .  (Read 10342 times)

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you consider quitting trad?? Tough year. .
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
Two Arrows, I'm confused also.
I've been shooting trad gear for 13 years now.  I'm 29 years old.
I wasn't around for the recurve era with metal risers and sights and such.  I honestly got into trad because of Traditional Bowhunter magazine.  I was drawn to the simplicity and romance of trad gear.
I've been shooting wood arrows and two blade heads with fantastic success.  I only take high percentage shots and have had great results.
For awhile I must admit that I picked up a little of the elitist attitude that is present in Traditional Bowhunter magazine, but lately I've changed my tune.
I personally do not feel "handicapped" by trad gear. Compound shooters look at it like it's a toy but I realize how deadly effective it is.
So my logic is: it takes woodsmanship to consistently get within bow range of a whitetail. If the hunter is within 20 yards I don't see much difference in pulling of a good shot with recurve,longbow, compound device or even a crossbow for that matter.
I realize that compounds do have a farther effective range than stick bows, but if the person sets their own limitations then equipment doesn't really matter.
I believe it was Gene Wensel who said it best: "What matters is attitude."
Do what makes you happy and don't get to wrapped up in what is "purer."  We should enjoy our time out there that God has so graciously blessed us with.
Jaz

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
Try hunting small game- hard. It is amazing how jazzed i get when stalikng a rabbit and the size, distance and movement all have to be calculated just like a deer.  even your timing to shoot have to in snych.  It's not just a rabbit, it is a game animal.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
Actually guys I hope this does no deteriorate into a trad vs. compound issue.  It is not about longer shots, a better weapon, etc.  My larger question was "Have any of you went through these times, considered quitting the trad world, perhaps have, and has anything been able to bring you back out of it?"  My only personal compound inquiry is would this help me better hunter? (Yes, I know what many of you will say- but I can get within ten yards of 160" deer- so that is not the issue- the issue is confidence to kill the animal when the time is right)

Also, I hear many talk of misses- but misses can easily be wounded animals. I have a few over the years and do NOT like it- especially when they should have been chip shots!

Ron- yes, this is a part of my conflict.  I actually have a few encounters every year with deer like this (and 155 is conservative NET). With a changing world and some personal health conflicts I really do not know how much longer I will have opportunity of such animals.  If these were deer you could encounter anywhere and often, it would not be such of a dilemma.

Thanks all-

Yes- it is a personal issue. . .working through it here.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »
If someone chooses to shoot with wheels that is fine but for some they will never understand why we do what we do.but hey,THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!! good luck and GOD BLESS Tony  
Man you couldn't have siad it better
TGMM

Offline Gunney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
Dan,

I thought about it before, especially when I was very busy at my job.

I agree with George, have you thought about putting a sight on your recurve?

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Nope!

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »
I can name a number of people who have missed big critters with gun,compound or any combonation of weapons(myself included) but you know what, that is why it is called hunting. My suggestion would be to relive whatever hunt that is bothering you and find your mistake, don't put so much preasure on the size of the animal and just hunt.

go luck,
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
One of the guys I work with and myself were discussing something similar just today. THIS season alone, he tells me that he has wounded and lost two,and missed two more with his bow. This weekend he missed a buck with his rifle. He said that he was considering quitting bowhunting all together. His hunting buddy, another co-worker, says that he shoots great while practicing, and practices from a 15 foot ladder stand. Anyone want to guess what kind of bow he's shooting......... it's a Mathews Switchback . In talking to him he admits that he gets so shook up when he sees a deer that he "has trouble breathing"......I laughed with him and told him when he stops getting excited, it's time to quit.... told him to relax, that we do this for FUN, not out of necessity. JUST RELAX , HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE HUNT, IF WE PUT THE EMPHAMSIS OF KILLING, VERY, VERY FEW OF US WOULD MEASURE UP, TRADITIONAL, WHEELS, OR OTHERWISE.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »
KSdan, reread your original post, maybe altering your method of practice, creating the hunting scene in your mind when shooting/practicing, or one of my favorite, shoot just ONE arrow before work. Also rehearsing the hunting shots in your mind making that perfect shot while on a bus, waiting in line etc. helps you feel more relaxed when the moment comes for real because you have already done it many times, in your mind. Many can shoot well practicing shot after shot but making the one shot count will assist in dealing with the shot at live game. Mental preparation is just as important as physical. I have seen many great shots on the range that have trouble carrying it over to the field, (holds true for golfers aso) work on the mental preperation and I think you will see improvement, Good luck.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »
Go where your heart and conscience lead you anywhere else will only get you lost.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
Dan,

Confession time !  I shot compound for the first two weekends of the season.  I then purchased a traditional Viper Longbow, used it for two weeks, and was surprised how my skills came back in the practice with it. I then purchased a John McDonald custom " Big River Bow " 48 # at 28". Ever since I got it I have not been able to put it down.  That's what I've taken hunting this year until now, as in

TODAY !

I took my compound out for the first time today, I hiked in to the place where I put my double bull stand, which was on my back along with other stuff.  Altogether weighs about 40 lbs. with all the other stuff I take.  I walked about a mile.  I had my hands free because I use a Alaskan outfitter frame.  But in my hands I carried my compound.  With all of the extra gizmos it weighs about 8 1/2 pounds, maybe seven at the least.  By the time I got to the place where I was going to set my double bull blind, my hands were definitely tired.  And then as I placed at on top of my frame, I was worried about knocking the sights off, or out of place.  And then I was worried that if I didn't have my hand release attached to the string loop I would never make the shot in time.  And then there was the idea of being able to shoot to the Windows properly, you know the difference between the sight and Broadhead.

To say the least, I will not be taking it for the rest of the season.  If I get a deer with my traditional, I'll eat deer, I had disciplined myself when I hunted with a traditional, 15 yd. was the maximum, that's were I'm efficient.

The bottom line is you have to make the decision.  No one else can do that for you, my experience today, made my decision for me.  I spent over $1200.00 on my compound,its a Hoyt PowerTec purchased it in April of this year.  And now because of traditional, I don't like using it, simply because everything is simple with traditional, the bow, the arrow, and my skills.

I think what I see in the posting is the pressure, getting a deer, or wounding a deer.  Thankfully I have never lost a deer.  But my best buddy did, it was today 15 yd. shot. we looked for that deer for hours, and we had a good 4 inches of snow on the ground, lots of blood trail, spots were the deer laied down, that was 30 years ago, he shot it with a compound.  So you can have those times with traditional and also compound.  Just realize no matter what route you take, you still then have problems, I changed my sight on my compound three times, I changed my arrow rest twice, I purchased three different sets of arrows, the problems will come, what it comes down to, we need to get a good attitude about the equipment we have, and realize our limitations.

Like everyone said the decision is yours, but realize it's more than compound or traditional.

Because I was carrying a traditional bow when I passed on a 8 point buck, that was the hardest decision I've ever made in archery, because I've never shot a buck before, I really wanted to shoot that buck, he was five yards beyond my ability, it was darker than I would have liked to be to know if I would get a clean shot.  So I just stood there and watch him.  I would've liked to put him in the freezer, but he will be in my mind forever, because I shot traditional.

If I was carrying a compound at that time, I probably would have shot him, because I would have had more trust in wheels and cables and sights, then I would have had in myself.

Confidence, is what traditional gives me, if I understand my limitations, and do not break them.

Good luck in your decision

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »
Go back to a compound? Never! I'm one of those guys who look at today's compounds as vertical crossbows. As a matter a fact, since I've gone completely traditional,(14 years) I've taken more game than I ever did with the compound device. I simply get closer and I no longer have any temptation to take longer shots. Stick with your traditional equipment, success is defined in many different ways. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
Personally if it bothered me to a point where I was thinking of quiting....I would.It is not supposed to be a job to hunt.Just fun.If the fun has gone for you why do it? jmo

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
I am doing some soul searching as well right now. I'm coming off the worst year ever, period! I've found that most people don't question themselves until something goes bad, very bad. Misses wouldn't bother me one bit, everyone misses. Some, way more than others,  but wounding bothers me to no end. I can honestly say, I've missed maybe 5 animals in the last 7 years of hunting everything from elk, Bighorn sheep, antelope, to deer. I've had a few losses down that path, and this year was a few to many for me. The sad part is, they were on gimme shots. To some, method is more important than the end result. This is very clear to me now. For me, the end result is very important. I know how I hunt, and what makes me happy. I hope you base your decision on what's right, and not what others may think. Finding that special spot, taking the time to setup right, and then delivering an arrow cleanly is what it's all about. If you can put yourself in front of an animal, shooting should be the last thing on your mind. If it is, you really need to question your choice of weapon. There is no excuse for missing multiple times in a season, none. To use the crutches of bow, long and recurve is really sad in my opinion. The woods deserve much more than man's ego.

Good Luck.
How I love Colorado!

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jaz:
I personally do not feel "handicapped" by trad gear. Compound shooters look at it like it's a toy but I realize how deadly effective it is.
So my logic is: it takes woodsmanship to consistently get within bow range of a whitetail. If the hunter is within 20 yards I don't see much difference in pulling of a good shot with recurve,longbow, compound device or even a crossbow for that matter.
I realize that compounds do have a farther effective range than stick bows, but if the person sets their own limitations then equipment doesn't really matter.
I believe it was Gene Wensel who said it best: "What matters is attitude."
Do what makes you happy and don't get to wrapped up in what is "purer."  We should enjoy our time out there that God has so graciously blessed us with.
Jaz
Now there's some wisdom well beyond your years, Jaz. You're dead on. Equipment rarely makes up for  poor shot placement or poor woodsmanship. It took me alot of years, alot of kills, and alot of blown opportunities with rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound and recurve to learn this simple fact.

I no longer agonize over what I'm carrying when I walk into the woods, though 90% of the time, it's my Brackenbury recurve because that's what gives me the most personal pleasure. I killed the largest buck of my life this year on opening day of NY shotgun season. It was special, not because of what I had in my hand, but because my dad was there and I used his favorite shotgun - a different kind of satisfaction.

I find that the all or nothing argument we often struggle with internally is a trap. "Only trad, only bucks, only this, only that.." is a counterproductive mind game. I love being in the woods. I love hunting. I love the simplicity of the recurve. I love killing deer.

Do what jaz says: get out there and enjoy God's creation.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
I would rather kill the smallest deer with a rifle than to kill the world record deer with a compound. I would never consider going back to a compound. I LOVE TRADITIONAL  In fact if a compound was the only option for archery I would quit archery.But thats just me,you do what you gotta do.   :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
Nay,Nay My Friend!! Is this a Case of "It Aint The Arrow, Its The Indian?"  :confused:   Hope Things Get Better For You, and "Traditional" Means It Has Worked For Years!! Jaz Has It Down!!  :thumbsup:  
 "Do what makes you happy and don't get to wrapped up in what is "purer." We should enjoy our time out there that God has so graciously blessed us with.
Jaz"   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
I have been going through the same thing so I feel you pain, and this is what I have come up with.  Trad archery takes alot of time...If you practice alot, you will be good.  However, if your life circumstances do not allow you to practice all the time, the compound is an easy and quick fix to keep you in the woods.  In years past I have been able to shoot every day, but due to life this past year I have not.  That has shown up in my hunting and my confidence.  I had the biggest buck of my life 20 yards from me last week and did not shoot because I was not confident I could.  Last year he would have been dead!

So, I am contemplating using a compound for backup, and I am happy with that decision.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »
I read alot.  when I was 40 sumpin I noticed I hadn't read a bood in a couple of months.  picked up a book only to realize I didn't see the words very well.....trip to the eye Dr.  In the my late 50's I notice my groups had gone south to such an extent, I was not serious about hunting for fear of wounds.  started experimenting and found that all these yrs I had to see the arrow.  I put in under my eye and made the sight adjusts by gapping.  I could no get the arrow under my eye and look at my spot.  

so i strated aiming (string walking).  groups came back, confidence came back, hunting came back.  then i discovered the DAS SRF sight.  BINGO.  put the arrow back under and I already had 4 decades of "feel" for the gap.  I know this forum is not really geared toward sights and sight shooting but the SRF is not a like ya you have in your mind.  to me it is an instinctive sight.  the draw back is ya got to shoot with an upright bow, so if ya cant your bow that will have to change.

heck my hunting buds didn't even give me a hard time about it.  I figure they had rather me hunt with a sight than have to spend the time looking for marginal hits game.

don't know how old ya are but think it over.  SRF gave me a knew lease on tradbow hunting

rusty

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
Dan,

I started shooting Traditionally when I was a Boy Scout in 1963.  I've never owned a bow that wasn't Trad, and my experience with a wheel bow amounts to about thirty shots with my youngest brother's compound.  For me if it isn't Traditional, it isn't archery.  This fall I bought my first new bow since 1980... a nice Tomahawk.... 50# @ 28"  ...I intend to shoot for a while yet!  :-)

Hunting.....I've had two clean misses inside ten feet!  One was buck fever, and the other a bitty little maple tree that I hit half way to a ten point buck.  I've also had some seasons where I didn't get into the field .... not even one day.  This includes the past three seasons in a row.  I've had invitations from friends, but if I haven't had the opportunity to do some pre-season scouting, then during the season I'm just taking a walk in the woods....not hunting.  I miss my hunting.  :-(

Life continues to flow....step back and see what you want.

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©