3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you consider quitting trad?? Tough year. .  (Read 10345 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you consider quitting trad?? Tough year. .
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
here is a pic of the SRF mounted on my favorite tree stand bow, 58" horne recurve with a bow bolt.

as you can see there are no pins, wires etc.  the top of the aperture give me a 8yd shot, the widest area give me around a 25 yd shoot.  you can see indeed the arrow is under my eye.  I have shot the sight enough now I no longer realize I am sohooting the sight.  

the sight acquires the target very quickly, easy to move with the target, and easy follow as the range of the target changes.  keep in mind (at least for me) this is a hunting sight.  I personally can't light matches with it any better than I could instinctively.  what is did was make me very consistant and cut my instinctve groups by better that half.

rusty

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
I loved hunting with a compound.  One day while shooting at a friend's archery shop, I picked up a 25# Kodiak just for kicks and started shooting my 2413's out of it.  Too much fun and I couldn't put it down.  Bought a 60# recurve and had a blast all summer.  Come fall, I was hunting with the recurve when I hit and lost a doe. First time I'd ever had that happen.  I was so distraught I sold all my trad gear and went back to the compound. The thought of losing another deer was too much.  

Two years later I jerked the release and hit a doe w-a-a-y back.  Fortunately the femoral dropped her in short order. This made me realize that my equipment had nothing to do with losing that deer.  It was all me.  I enjoyed shooting trag gear way more than a compound so I went back to it and worked hard at fixing ME.  

The results?  Year after year of good memories, wonderful experiences, and a great deal of personal satisfaction. A hobby that never grows old, is just about as much fun to read about as it is to do, and is filled with people who represent the best of who we are.

Go back to the compound you say????  Like a 10 yard shot at a broadside skunk....I think I'll pass!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
KSDan, man I wish I had 1/2 of your experience and 1/10 of you success, I would gladly take all of your problem  :)  and still would have-a-ball!
take care

Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
first of all -no- no desire to hunt with a compound or rifle.

I read what you have said; and I am going to comment on that.
 First of all what is a 'chip shot'? Any and every shot can be missed - because the shooting of a traditional bow is a mind set. Shooting a compound is a gear set.

Don't shoot at anything you don't want to hit.
If you shoot at a 150 buck; and you are into the majesty of the buck and not the shot- your going to miss...because at the moment of release you were into the moment more than the shot.
 You did miss- why? I think it was because you value the hunt so much you did not concentrate on the shot enough- and that is a beautiful thing!!
 Until you realise you missed   :banghead:  
One of the great things about traditional bowhunting is that it forces you to be out there longer and hunt harder; and to see the woods in a more intimate way. You have to do that to close the distance and make the shot you want.
 Speaking of that - were the missed shots the ones you wanted? Was the deer on the perfect angle; was it really a 'chip shot' - was the fact it WAS a 'chip shot' what made you miss: because something did!!
 This year I stopped by a camp of two bowhunters out to slay an elk. They did not have a deer tag; and they had deer walking right into camp to lick at the 'mineral content' of some hay they had raked up to put their tent up. The hay was some that had been under the horses last fall...
 So; I was sitting there with these guys drinking a beer they shared with me; and heard a bull elk not more than a 150 yards away bugle.
 They thought it was another hunter bugling from their camp- as they had heard the bugle every morning and evening since they had started hunting there. But there was no camp down there!!
 When I explained that; and the one guy got a glimse of the bull; and I pointed out a herd of elk to them- right near camp- and they had not seen a single elk all week... well it set the following scene.
 I wanted to kill a deer. It did not matter if it was a doe or buck; just wanted to kill a deer.
 so; when we sat back down again; a doe walked right up to us at about ten yards. I took out an arrow and shot and put it right over the deers back. I then did it again. And again.
 All 'chip shots'.
Why did I miss? Well; I had time to think about that; and went back the next night and missed again; and again. All ten yard shots.
 I missed because in my heart I really did not want to hit the deer. We were in the wild; it was wild deer I was shooting at: but somehow- shooting at a deer standing between the long underwear and regular underwear; and towels and such hanging on a rope from tree to tree- with deer walking right under and through it all-
 Was not really in my heart the shot I wanted to remember!
 Never shoot at anything you don't want to hit.
I wanted an elk this year. I had shots and just did not take them because I was in their zone; and just was enjoying it so much. Of course I kicked myself when they ran off- but that is all part of being there.
 How many of us have kicked ourselves for not shooting something the first day- that we had a shot at- that we would have taken the last day?
 If the thought of ' if I wait- I might get a bigger one' is in your head when you shoot- your probably going to miss!!

Another thing. I watch a lot of tv hunting shows; and guys shooting compounds. You talked about how well these bows work- well- next time you watch a tv show with a guy hunting with a compound- look at his arrows. Look at the design on the arrows; the color of the vanes or feathers.
 Watch when the deer comes in; and see how many arrows are in the quiver- and then when the guy or gal makes the hit- look again at how many arrows are in the quiver.
 Often several arrows are missing; or the arrows for the picture of the hunter next to the animal will reveal different arrows in the quiver than when he climbed into the tree.
 Don't fall for editing magic!! They miss too!
I watched a Nugent show from africa; where his son was shooting a crossbow the size of a grand piano- and he shot two animals that were not recovered before he came up with his prize. Uncle Ted did not edit out the reality of the bad hits; he did't dwell on it either; and you might have missed his sons comments about it.
 You can miss with any bow; and good heavens- do you not remember deer season with a gun?  :)
 It was rare to hear one single shot ring out - was it not?
  You just are into it man- so -stick with the stick  :)

:campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
Brian, great story, great insight. your advice is going straight to my memory bank  :knothead:  
thanks
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »
Quit? No freak'n way!!!

I did the wheels for 15yrs. Took my share of deer with them.  Now I'm taking deer with trad and will never quit. It's too much fun.  Yeah I missed with the curve, but I missed them with wheels also.  

Don't give up
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline carterT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Hello Dan, I hope my earlier post didn't sound like I was bashing compound shooters.I was just telling of my experience and personal preferance.If you feel in your heart thats what you would like to do I say do it.Try it out,I hunt for my satisfaction and for no one else.I could be wrong but I believe that if you try the compound you will eventually go back to the sticks.But hey in the process of you doing this I really think your confidence will soar and then you will say,HEY!!!! I think I can do this with my trad gear. and wola!!! a new journey begins.GOD BLESS , happy hunting, and no matter what you choose to shoot may you hit your mark. Tony

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
Although I have taken several deer with a compound what I remember most are the times a compound let me down.

Like the time I went to draw on a buck at 20 yards and the release fired early and I split my lips open while the arrow flew through the trees...Or the time a mature 8 point was crossing my path and I drew too early. He paused and I had to hold the bow drawn so long that my arms gave out started to shake which made the arrow fall off the rest...Or the time I drew on a trophy ten point and the arrow squeeked on the rest and he spooked...Or the time I skipped an arrow off a bucks shoulder only to find out later my sights had loosened and moved...Or the time a huge 8 point (26" spread) walked right up to me (3 paces) and when I drew back the arrow dropped off the overdraw and I had to shoot it off my wrist which gave him a nice haircut...Or the time my arrow droped between the rest while trying to harvest a nice forkhorn and my bow got stuck in the full drawn position...Not to mention the times I just couldn't get away with all the mechanics of getting drawn on bucks at close range. Or the numerous other deer that spooked from either the drawing or releasing sounds of the compound. Or the tired arms from walking around with a 7 pound bow all day. Or the hours spent trying to tune the bow to hit where I wanted just to have to redo it all next time out because it seemed to be pitching arrows again... Or the times I couldn't see my sight pins in order to make the shot...The list goes on and on. I don't ever want to deal with all that again.

I will be honest though and say that I was where you are at earlier this year. I had been hunting a nice 10 point and had it duck my arrow at 20 paces. Then I watched a video of some guy plugging deer with his super fast compound and it actually made me take mine out for a hunt. I started to hate that heavy thing in my hand and when I got within 20 paces of that same buck...well he ducked the arrow from the compound too. It wasn't the bow it was me and it was that jumpy buck. I went back out with my recurve the next hunt and this time I harvested that same 10 point. I will never touch a compound again. I will never loose faith in the simple things again.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Puma Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • From New Kingston, NY
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »
I wanted to, but it would take me too long to haul all the longbows and recurves I have out to the curb.
"My health is best in October"

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
Shooting a compound is indeed eaiser than the trad way.  I have been to wheels and back.  I still own a couple of them, but they now gather dust in the attic. I promise I could pick one up, and in a matter of minutes, be shooting tight groups.  So can anyone else, that's the point. The old saying about "it's not the destination, but rather the journey" is so true, especially in traditional archery.  We go to the woods to hunt, and if we harvest an animal, it's iceing on the cake.  It's the journey that's important, not necessarly the harvest.  "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." JFK
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
Yep, well if ya given it up just pack all your trad bows up and send em down Louisiana way to me, you wont be able to sell them for much and one of them compound jobs with the lights the gps, and cable TV reception and its carrying case will set ya back oh about 1000 bucks or 1500 depending ...plus new arrows , release...yes sir send ur old bows on down , or there is always rifle season...  :wavey:  nobody said it be easy, its bowhunting,  not always bow kill-in...even when ya do all ur homework...ya know Im kidding ... :) ....I hope ya stay trad...A archer pal, Marco#78  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
I usualy pop in a trad video when I get the urge to go back to wheels,that usauly does the trick!!!   :knothead:  
My wife and I was watching a hunting show the other day. The hunter was very nervous you could see him shacking.  She commented about it, I told her that when I got to the point that I wasn't excited and nervous I would Quit....

Traditional hunting isn't easy,but very rewarding..

But I will have to say that I haven't missed a monster buck yet?  :banghead:    

But Quit NEVER

Keep the Faith my Friend

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
Dan,
Started shooting 15 years ago with the compound for physical therapy due to an arm injury which almost left my left arm frozen in a 90 degree angle. Switched from right to left hand. Got stated with about 30lbs and over a short time increased to 70+lbs with greater flexibilty in my left arm. I tell you this cause the Compound Bow after a few years did what therapy three times a week could not do and that was to give me back 95% of the use of my left arm again. So I owe alot to the compound bow and archery in general. First time in the woods I harvested a deer in the first 10 minutes of daylight.
But I got bored and found no challenge that pushed my Americam will and spirit of hitting 1/2" pieces of paper at the range and pissed off everytime I missed it .  
Picked up a recurve then found true love with the long bow..
Now I love to shoot both, but the compound is my gun and the longbow is my pleasure as when I het the mark it's guves a greta high and when I miss I am humbled,not pissed as with a compound.
I have harvested much small game with the longbow including a black bear in Newbrunswick, but not a deer. The only real opportunity with a longbow came when a doe with two yearlings approached me within 5 yards. She just couldn't leave the kids behind could she. LOL.
What I'm driving at is will you be truly happy to shoot a deer with the compound bow,,,a nice 6 or 8 pointer,,,hell ya....So do what you need to do to fill the voids as we all know once you get the big one out of the way, you'll find comfort and more confidence in Traditional.
Best of Luck and Happy New Year to all.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
Dan...I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this.  

Everybody is in this for different reasons. Everybody needs to be stroked in different ways to remain happy.  If you feel that you are not having fun shooting trad, then by all means go to compound or cross bow or rifle, or just quit the shooting sports altogether.

You need to examine yourself and why you do what you do.  Then make a decision...is is good more often than not, or bad more often than not....  and by that I do not mean can you shoot straight, but rather the feeling that you get while doing this.   Based upon that examination, you, and only you need to decide what you are gonna do.

Many of us are here, not because we feel that Trad is better, or holier or ...whatever, but because it is what we do.  If I, personally, got to the point where I felt I could not shoot at critters with my bow and arrows.....I might stop hunting them(ie  actually shooting at them, not necessarily the going out there).  I still get way too much thrill out of shooting the bow to even consider this.

There are a bunch of choices you, and we, make every day of our lives.  There are typically a bunch of answers to all the questions.  Quitting is one of them, shifting your actions a bit is another.  Maybe you should consider shifting a bit first instead of quitting.  Shifting might mean not shooting at critters, or not unless they are say 10 yards or closer, or 15 or whatever your shift might become.

Whatever you decide...good luck out there !

ChuckC

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
Chad Lewis said it just about the way I feel.  I shoot both just depends on what Im hunting even though I sold all my compounds as of now.  I would say the best thing is shoot a mess of doe's, small game does help but its still not the same as biggame.  Just my .02

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »
I haven't considered quitting trad, but have on occassion considered going from "primitive" back to regular ol "easy" trad. Not due to any deficiencies in my primitive set-ups. On the contrary they have handled everything I have thrown at them and still eager to hunt like a 2 year old bird dog, but simply because it's so much "easier" to just call some bowyer like Bob Morrison,or Ron LaClair, or Jim Reynolds and order up a glass bow to spec, call some dealer and order up some arrow shafts (maybe even some carbons), glue on some nocks, feathers and 5 degree heads that are already pre sharpened and go hunting.

Then I wouldn't have to have a bunch of tools,like chain saws and mauls and wedges, and bandsaws,and a bunch of staves, wouldn't have a bunch of osage dust all over the house, wouldn't need string making tools and materials, or a bunch of leather scraps. Wouldn't have to have cane drying which I wouldn't have to straighten and plug, wouldn't have to pound sinew, melt hide glue, wouldn't need rawhide and snakeskins, and a bunch of different little tip overlay pieces. Wouldn't need to cut heads out of bandsaw blades, wouldn't need a grinder to set up the bevel for sharpening, wouldn't need boxes of feathers that need stripping...Heck, wouldn't even have to unstring the bow if I didn't want to. Wouldn't have to worry about heat or cold or rain affecting my gear......ahhhhhhh

Yep, been pondering the "easy life" on occassion.

Maybe someday..just not quite ready yet!  :archer:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
I am happy just having the opportunity to pick up my longbow, quiver and daypack and spend the days in the woods. I have always felt that way. Guess I'm a hopeless romantic, it's always been about the journey, not the destination. This year hasn't exactly been in the cards though. I had to sit out most of the season due to illness. I am looking forward to Spring Turkey though! With the help of God.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline headknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
:scared:  NEVER, I bleed trad  :campfire:
"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Well this is my first trad season and i missed a lot of shots, but then again when i first started bow hunting with a compound 20+ years ago i missed a lot then. I was lucky enough to get two button bucks, and a nine that was found a week later made a good hit no blood trail. I say you have to go with your gut feeling as for me I'm sticking it out. This trad stuff has opened up a whole new world for me and my son is into it also. There are a lot of guys that are just as deadly with trad as some are with compounds . I'm guessing that it has to do with concentration and consistency both of which i need work on. Personal choice, you can always use both that might work for you. Good luck  with whatever you choose.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »
I don't think I'd quit, what I'd probably do is move as close as it took to become really confidend. Even 10 yards. Frank  :thumbsup:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©