3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you consider quitting trad?? Tough year. .  (Read 10346 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you consider quitting trad?? Tough year. .
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Animals are lost to all hunting weapons each year. Traditional has no corner on that market. Perhaps getting back to basics and doing some small game hunting/bowfishing would get your groove back.

This will get me some heat, but what weight are you shooting? Sometimes as we age it is hard to admit that we need to go a bit lighter to better control the shot, especially as the temps drop.

In the end only you can decide what is right for you and personally I would never hold any weapon choice against someone so long as they are ethical, legal and HUNT!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
If getting game IS the goal, switch back or even go to firearms.

If HOW you get the animal is more important, then work it out. I used to sit around deer at game farms, and feed em, to get used to being close to them.

Find something else you can hunt during the off season, like TX hogs, and go down and hunt every month or two, even when its hot. Spend time shooting stuff. It will help.

Compounders lose lots of deer. Gun hunters lose animals. I wouldn't sweat THAT part of it. No one likes to lose any animal, but nothing gets wasted in nature, believe me.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
I think about it everytime I make a bad shot. I can't put in the time I used to. I'm lucky if I shoot 40 arrows a week anymore. I have recurring elbow pain and now a finger that feels like it's coming off.
Then, I'll make a good shot and it all goes away :-)
The guys I know who have gone back to compound devices STILL mmmmmmiss and wound critters. Discover your effective range and stick to it, pick a hair to split instead of the whole animal, and your "scores" will go up.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
well  said dave i like your way of thinking bro  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Yup, I'll absolutely quite traditional archery and hunter ... a few days after I die!

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
pm sent
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Good topic. Started in December and here it is March and there are lots of opinions.
Its a personal thing.
The best advice I have seen is what Biggie said.
Keep your shots close and shoot at a single hair, not the kill zone, and your scores WILL go up.
I hate to think of your bow hanging there, not out
hunting when the time comes.
Your concern for the critters is what makes you a true hunter, no matter what weapon you use. Its why you are a traditional hunter. The spirit, the honor, the sights smells and feelings. Not the kill.  ;)

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
if it makes you feel any better I have yet to see a trad shooter consistently group past 20 yards and I've seen quite a few shooters...and I'm talking barebow...so as far as im concerned if you can group inside a paper plate at 20 yards consistently your doing just as good as anyone I've seen...I hear stories of guys that can shoot and group from longer distances but they must be few and far between

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
I am not planning on quitting.  If I get to where I cannot hit at 20 I will wait till I get a shot at 15, or 10, or even 5.  I have too much fun with trad.   Besides, I can always stump shoot out to whatever range I can see a target at.
ChuckC

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Quit   Take a break    

If you like slingin arrows with a compound than thats for you!!!!!! Nothing wrong with it,But if you want to pick up the old stick bow its always gonna be waiting for you.
Is it deer season yet?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©