3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit wearers  (Read 549 times)

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit wearers
« on: January 02, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
How do you carry your arrows and pack?  I hunted with a CQ 3.5 last year and love it.  I just got a ghillie suit in the past week or so and can't seem to get the CG on and comfortable while wearing it.  So besides a bow quiver (tried them and don't like how they feel on a long bow)how do guys and/or gals that wear a ghillie suit carry your stuff and especially extra arrows?
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit wearers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Cat quiver would be an ok deal. Or you could go to Simmonssharks.com and get one of them beautiful quivers.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Barry ,
The best most versitile quiver I have ever tried is the Shrew Mantis . You can wear it on your side / frount/ back , the arrows are held in place like the GFA quiver and it come in 4 or 6 arrow model . I have one if you would like to try it out and you can see one on Rons site . BTW , I got me two squirles with my Hummingbird this past weekend.

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
I have not, but would just put the pack/quiver on like normal.
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I wear a small fanny pack, if anything at all while using a ghillie suit. I prefer to keep what little I NEED in my pockets.   I use a bow quiver also.  You can get away with a side quiver, like a Raptor style.  To me, part of looking like nothing is not having "stuff" draped around me holding the suit  tight to me.  If you are stand hunting in a ghillie, just drop your stuff behind the tree or in the grass by your feet, including a quiver.
ChuckC

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Way to go Mike on the tree rats. My cousin and I are going after some of those corn fed squirrels in a couple weeks.

I see your point Chuck about not having stuff hanging off you. But I still don't like bow quivers so I'll have to make another one of these and not trade it.

Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
I use both home made and GFA side quivers, although I really don't move around much while wearing the ghillie.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
Yeah, bow quivers are not really fun, but they do get the job done.  Ghillie suits are great, once you get used to them.  I have had quite a number of close encounters with them, as has a buddy of mine.  

I had a dog and his owner...well, the dog was within probably 4 feet of me while I was hunkered down in a nest of tall grass, and the woman was not more than ten yards away.  Far as I am aware neither knew I was there. Dog sure didn't.

I have a suspition that she was out there trying to mess up my hunt...just...things about it....  it was all I could do to keep from jumping up, throwing my arms in the air and screaming as she walked past.  Now THAT would have made great video footage.
ChuckC

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I haven't done any still hunting in mine because gun season has been on, and I hunt public land. I put it on when on stand. Starting next week I will though as where I'll be it's bow only rest of Jan. I'll be using my Simmons  Bushmaster. I think it will work well, it has in practice. I've got a Skookum two-arrow stalking quiver on my Longbow also. I don't like much weight on a Longbow and the Skookum is light enough for me and keeps an arrow at hand just in case, and a Blunt or Judo in case I am attacked by a Tree-Rat or Rabbit.

P.S. Madness522---I love that quiver! It's like a Souped-up Simmons. Similar design, only in beautiful leather, and the snap cover is a great addition. Very nice work!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Don't wear that ghillie suit in a woods that has greenbriar in it, Barry.  You don't know what "stuck" is until you've brushed past greenbriar in a ghillie!  I gave up hunting in the South with mine for that reason...

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Hey Chuck C I wore my Ghilly On Halloween night and scared the you know what out of anyone who came to my door. I was sitting right next to the door outside and had a lot of laughs.
But to be serious for a moment, I use my Cat Quiver 2 and like it a lot. I also have a single arrow holder on my bow so all I have to do is just slip the arrow on the string without going to the quiver on my back.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Thanks Danny! I got the idea from the master, Steven Catts, and adjusted it a little here and there.  The finish was supposed to be more like camo and it looked great until it dried and the dyes sorta ran together.  It was so good I traded it and a couple others like it. Now I have to make one and keep it.

Thats funny Joe!  There are a few green briars on one of the places I hunt and one place I hunt is just about covered with them.  I'll keep the 'stuck' in mind!  Now I have a mental picture of you stuck in green briars in a ghillie suit...  When we gonna go chase tree rats?
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©