3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight variance in finished wood arrow?  (Read 213 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight variance in finished wood arrow?
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Out of curiosity I decided to weigh my cedar arrows, just to see how close they were to each other. The spread was HUGE. Most were within 20-30 grains, but there were a few others that were as much as 70 grains off! This seems rather significant to me. Is that just how woods are? As a background, many of them have been shot a good bit and may have soaked up moisture. I'm just guessing.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Weight variance in finished wood arrow?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
The range in weight was probably there when you got them.  My guess is that you'll find a pretty good variation in the spine as well.  Most suppliers say they're selling in groups matched to 5# and 10 grains, but a lot of them don't meet that standard.  The only way you'll know for sure is to have your own grain scale and spine tester and do your own regrouping before you make the arrows.

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I found that unless I pay extra for weight matched shafts the difference can be as much as a 100 grains. I buy shafts matched to within 10 grains. That is most the most common. Rouge River(sp) used to match to 2grains but those days are long gone.
I have seen for sale shafts matched within 5 grains. That is what I like for hunting shafts.I usually buy 50 or 100 hundred and weighthem out for myself.

Offline Billy Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
If you don't get (actually) matched shafts 100gr spread is pretty common. I gave up on that and buy matched (hex)shafts. Then spend about a week dipping them to match within 2gr. Thinned finish through a piece of cloth on the tube will only add one or two grains per dip.

Then if you really want to be silly use melted #8 shot to weight match the broadheads and tips too.    :mad:

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I got these arrows from a shop and they fly awesome, I just didn’t expect that much of a variance.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I can get you a dozen shafts that are within 5# of spine and 10 grains of weight.  That is just the starting point.  Every step you take in making the arrow will result in a different weight per shaft.

How much moisture did each shaft absorb/lose because of humidity changes before they were sealed?
How much stain did each soak up?
How much varnish/lacquer?
Was it the exact same amount of glue on the point and nock?
Does each point/nock weigh the same?

It takes a lot of steps to make a matched set.

Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©