3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon Express Spine question  (Read 238 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon Express Spine question
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
I've been reading old posts and it seems the Carbon Express arrows are the best bet. Are they realy that good? How well does the wood grain finish hold up? What spine should I get for a 52# longbow my woodies are 29" BOP and my draw length is 29". I shoot 125g feild points. Thanks-Scott   :archer:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Express Spine question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
They are excellent shafts. Very sturdy, and the finish if very tough. I shoot 150's from my 52#@28(about 54lb at my draw) ChekMate with 200gr tips. Mine are cut to 30 1/2" and fly great. I can shoot 125gr tips also, but I would recommend the heavier tips or slightly longer shaft if you choose the 125gr tips, especially if your longbow is not cut to center.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
I ordered 150's from 3rivers do you think they will work? 125g or 145g points? I didn't have them cut but will bring them to work and cut them to 29". What do you think? -Scott

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Scott, I would leave them longer than 29" to begin with. I think you will need closer to 31" arrow to get them to fly well with 125gr tips. Even then 125gr might be a too stiff, especially if your longbow is not cut to center. Best advice is to start long(full length) and cut them down slowly until they bareshaft well. If you are set on a certain length arrow, then you should get some various weight field tips(at least up to 200gr) and go up in weight until they bareshaft well.

Hope this helps.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
If ya cut them to 29"s you better plan on shooting a lot of weight up front. I shoot them out of 2 bows a widow TF and a RER Arroyo, both pretty good performers and cut well past center. One is 54#s at my draw the other 55#s at my draw and mine are 29.5"s with 175 grain up front. I would leave them long at least 30"s and try at least 225 up front. Shawn
Shawn

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I just bought my first dz of the Heritage 150. I checked the spine on all of them. The charts say they should be .487 and all mine tested at .450. Now for the weight, the chart say 10gr per inch, mine came in at 11gr per inch. I set these up for a Martin Savannah 55#@28"  I draw 28.5", they bare shaft tested perfect with a 175gr point @ 30" long. The shafts spin real true and fly perfect. These are just my results...Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I'm glad I didn't get the 250's. I'll cut them to 31" and try 145g tips if that works out I can shoot woodsman broadheads this year  :D . How long do they come any way? Thanks for all the input-Scott

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
I think they are 31.5 from the factory.  I have fired mine thousands of shots into all kinds of targets, and the finish is still the same.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©