3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "custom" wooden arrows  (Read 600 times)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
"custom" wooden arrows
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
I switched to aluminum from woodies after several years for consistency.  But, I'd always made my own wooden arrows.  But I'm wondering how well matched and consistent a dozen cedars would be from a quality arrow maker.  Any thoughts?

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "custom" wooden arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Whispering Wind Hex pines are great arrows. Bob is truly a master arrowsmith.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
While there are some very good arrow smiths out there you cant not beat the consistncey of aluminum. I love shooting wood but im to dang picky.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
The wood arrows that Ron offers are top of the line.  I have 3 sets now and I shoot them just as good as my aluminum or carbon.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I just recieved some tapered laminated birch arrows from Elite arrows, now I have always shot cedars, but if a person wants a heavy tough arrow these are it, weighed in at 700 grns and of course I always have to check Pauls work so I put them on the arrow spinner, all of them were under .010 runout didn,t take a few minutes to get them to .005 or under, the points and nocks were straight as a string, they weighed out real close, I feel this is what makes a great arrow but to top it off they look to pretty to lose. I have recieved several sets from Paul Jalon, all of them great and yes I would highly recommend Elite arrows.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
I've had about 20 years of good luck with Kustom King arrows. I also have a few doz. Whispering Wind arrows I use when I want more weight and they shoot fine.

DonD
DonD

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
paul jalon...elite arrows
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I agree that Paul Jalon from Elite Arrows makes great arrows. I have 2 dozen made by Paul and they are great! The price is right too.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I'll check them out.  Dan, I had some laminated birch arrows I couldn't  keep straight!  I could have probably shot around corners with them!  I thought I'd get someone who knows how to put a dozen arrows  together better than me do it for me.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
EVERY arrow I've gotten from Paul at Elite Arrows has stayed straight, been closely matched to all the others in the dozen, and is the weight and spine it says on the box.

This can be said about many vendors here, but it's all about the time and attention to detail that they provide. Trust me, they're not getting rich selling arrows!
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©