3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New longbow....opinions please  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
New longbow....opinions please
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Hey guys
I have a Tomahawk longbow and it was my first.Now I'm hooked and want another longbow.
I need your help.Which one to get next.I want a sweet shooter in 50-55 lb range with no hand shock.Please give me your thoughts on longbows you've shot.
Thanks

Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New longbow....opinions please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
turkeycreeklongbows.com
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I love Centaurs.  Jim Neeves is a great guy to deal with.  Griffins and Shrews are great as well.  Those Turkey Creeks look good as do the RERs.... you wil probably be able to narrow your choices better if you look for length and the type of grip you shoot best rather than the draw weight.  50-55# is just about what "everybody" is looking for and I don't believe their is a bowyer who won't make you something in that range.  I have shot all the above and they all shoot nice, have no handshock if tuned properly.  My advice would be to go shoot as many as you can, get together with other trad shooters there in NY, contact the bowyers and see if they have a shoot it before you buy it program.  Shoot a lot of different bows before you buy your next bow...
Good luck,
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Shoot as many as you can. personally the Black Widow PL and Pronghorn TD are at the top.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
I spent some time shooting my brother-in-law's new Crow Creek Blackfeather over the holidays while he was in town, and it is the sweetest shooting longbow I have ever handled. A Crow Creek will be my next custom longbow for sure.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Too many bows, not enough time...or money.  Would have to second the Widow PL, but then I haven't shot the others mentioned.

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
There are many good longbows out there.  You have a dilema.  Robertson, Great Northern, Morrison, Centaur, Wolverine to name a few.  Personally, I am currently shooting Morrison long bows for my heavy "on the ground" bows and a Centaur for my lighter tree stand bow.  Both are fabulous shooting bows with ZERO hand shock.

Bob Morrison and Jim Neeves fall into that rare catagory of truly NICE people.  Dealing with them is a real pleasure.

Having said all that, I would still check with Dick Robertson and the boys at Great Northern, since they make great bows and happen to be nice guys, too.

Cheerio from New Zealand!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Longbow and Hand shock in the same sentence I don't get it....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
It is intirely possible to shoot longbows with NO HAND SHOCK!  Reflex/deflex bows lend themselves to this very well.  The old, straight longbows, such as the ones Howard Hill shot, can kick like a mule.

I have many longbows, although much shorter than what longbows used to be, that are free of hand shock and are wonderful to shoot.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Thanks Guys... any more opinions?
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
About a year ago, I had  Great Northern make me a Critter Gitter because I had previously bought a used one and found it to be an incredible shooter.  That's the only reason I had them make me a new one and that's all I was expecting.

Well, when it came, I was overwhelmed by the quality of workmanship and the sheer beauty of it.  AND, it's still the shooter I was expecting!
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Griffin longbows.

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
http://www.montanabows.com/index.html
You can't go wrong with a whip.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Well, I was a recurve guy until I shot a Robertson. Not the fastest in the world but I'd rather hit slower than miss faster. It shoots exactly where I point it and has no hand shock that I can detect,which was always an issue regarding longbows for me. Keep in mind I have a stable of Schafer recurves and Robertson recurves and I shoot the Robertson longbow better than those.

Like Mr Dwarf said, try as many as you can, everyone has different tastes and styles and there are many great longbow bowyers out there.

DonD
DonD

Offline bowquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Another vote for a Toelke Whip.

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Turkey Creek
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
got to endorse the Crow Creek bows by Elmer Patton. Proud of his bows as an old Arkansas boy, but they shoot great anyway.

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Guys ..How bout everyone picking the same bow so my choice would be easier...HeHe

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.

Bob

Offline Bullseye803

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Give Wes Wallace a look at. Extremely nice guy and builds a great bow.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
If youuu spend time with a Pronghorn, you won't be sorry.
Prarrie Dog

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©