3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help on selecting a youth bow  (Read 369 times)

Offline 5 point

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help on selecting a youth bow
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
My 13 year old son currently shoots a Martin Rebel 40#@28" which equates to around 30# at his 24" draw.(i think?)  He is ready for more wieght and is able to shoot a 50#@28 which would be 40#s at his 24" length.  I am thinking about a reasonably price semi custom such as a chek mate.  Should I order it at 40 lbs @ 24 or 50lbs @ 28 or does it even matter?  This is a bow that I want him to be able to use as an adult.  I'm guessing he will have at at least a 27" draw length by the time he is done growing.  Any suggestions on makes and models in the $300ish range.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
Re: Need help on selecting a youth bow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I shoot with a 22" draw.  For me, I have to have my bow built for my draw.  I just don't get good limb power out of a bow built for 28".  But 24" may be different.  Try Maddog Trad. archery.  Mike makes a great custom bow at the prie you are looking at.  He can make one that will grow with your boy.  I am on my 2nd Maddog.   www.tradstore.com/mta
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Has your son stopped growing yet? If not, I would stay with the bow you have now. Putting too much weight onto a boy of his age could do serious damage. As he grows over the next few years, he will extend his draw length and thus his draw weight.
Graham

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
5 POINT,
My son is almost 12 and has been shooting a 52lb Dwyer longbow. He too is pulling around 24-25 inches now. Last year it was 23" he was drawing. He shoots it better than I can shoot, he beats me most days ! Before that he had a Kodiak Mag that was 49lbs @ 28 and was shooting it when he was 10.

With that all being said, I also agree wholeheartedly with UKarcher above, about not overbowing him too early. Most of us will not admit it, but we are overbowed most of the time ! How big is he and how athletic and strong is he ? Can he hold his current bow 5 seconds without shaking all over the place ? My son is 5 foot tall, 142lbs and very athletic. He can hold his longbow for 5-7 seconds without shaking all over the place. Again as UKacher said above, every inch he grows in draw length will add approx 3 pounds to his draw weight. Check his current anchor point and alignment ? Is he anchoring well and getting his drawing hand and elbow in line ? If not then his current bow may be enough by the time you get him fully drawing, anchoring, and aligning his elbow. JMHO, hope this helps.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline 5 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
He can hold his current bow for more that 5-7.  He can overdraw it to his ear if he wanted to.  I guess the core of my question is a bow tillered at 24" at 40# going to outperform a 50#@28.  Then on the flip side as he grows and acheives a 27-28 draw,  would a bow tillered at 24" be problematic if he drew 3-4 inches beyond that.  I think I am try to have my cake and eat it too.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
You are dealing with a variable here. If it were me, I would leave him with the bow he has now, help him develop good form and then when he's done growing, buy him a really nice bow that will last into adulthood.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
A bow set-up and loaded for a shorter draw will out perform one set-up for a longer draw. Be sure it is being built or that draw though and not just scaled for it. This is an area were an ILF limbed bow that is adjustable can shine and grow with him.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
I agree that a bow built for his draw length will perform better than one designed for a longer draw that works out to the weight you want at his draw.

However if he might hunt with the bow as his draw increases you might want the bow draw weight marked at 28 inches.You could advoid trying to explain to a warden that his bow is really legal because he draws more than the bow is marked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©