3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hi all looking for help  (Read 329 times)

Offline illhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi all looking for help
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Lets start with i am new to traditional bows and hunting. I shoot a compound now but want to get back to roots first bow i ever shot was a recurve many years ago.i have thought about it for awhile and decided to go back so i went to a shop top shoot some bows butwould like some help getting started i would like advice on a decent starter bow and anything else i need to get going. I can shoot a 45-50 pound draw and have a 30" draw length. I prefer to shoot using a glove so need a decent glove. I would like to thank you all in advance for any help that you give and am looking forward to being around here more often.

Terry

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hi all looking for help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
well if you ur on a tight budget I would go check out sipsey river, great bows great prices, hey may carry some one of a kinds so you show gow checke'm out, but honestly I think you shout try a common brand like a fred bear bow, you wont be dissapointed starting with that line

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »
I too am looking for a glove that protects from the bite of fast flight strings. I use a damascus glove now; but I am thinking seriously about the 3rs glove with neoprene inserts on the finger stalls.
    ?????  :confused:    :confused:  ????
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Try the Skookum glove from Alaska bowhunting supplies.Awesome glove.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
I think the above advice on a started bow is right on. I wouldn't spend a ton of money until you figure out what you like. I personally like the Damascus glove. You can actually "feel" the string better once you get a few calluses on the fingers its hard to beat.

Offline BJ STOUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Juniper mountain Longbows builds custom Longbows for about $525.00 one man one boy at a time. he is in Oregon and usually not more than a couple three weeks to get one done. I doubt you would draw 30 shooting a long bow if you do it the traditional way. 541-473-3812 Juniper Mountain Longbows.

B.J.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
there is a traditional archery show in kalamazoo, mi  the last weekend in january  if you want to shoot a bunch of different bows and listen to some great speakers!!

pm me and I will give you more info!!
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
I would recommend a American Leathers big shot glove.  Also, I would recommend buying a used bow from the classified here. If you knew what kind of bow you are looking for...post a "want to buy" ad and I'm sure someone will have what your looking for.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
I have a Kohanna Flatbow 62" 50#@28,great shape, with new string will sell for $300 TYD CONUS.
It was bought 2 years ago, and was my first Traditional Bow                        

DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline mshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Terry,

Where in Illinois are you at is the first question.  You may lose an inch or two of draw length with a stick bow also. When I was shooting wheels I drew a good 29" but with a longbow or recurve it's 28" or a little shorter depending on how my form is at that point.  Shoot me a PM with your info and I would guess I could get you in touch with someone near you that could give you some help.  Also look online for the United Bowhunters of Illinois, I am a moderator on the forms, resgister and post your info there as well.  

Shane
Is that MY arrow.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©