3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side quivers  (Read 657 times)

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
Side quivers
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »
Looking for input on side quivers for hunting.  How many of you use a side quiver in the field.  What are the positive and negative sides of this type of quiver?  What is the best one to buy.  Need your experience.  Any and all information appreciated.  Thanks.
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side quivers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
I've settled on a side quiver as the best option for carrying arrows in the woods.  It seems to allow me to slip through the thick stuff easier than any other type I've tried, and I sure prefer it to having arrows on my bow.

There are some really nice ones made, but I made mine in the style of Asbell's quiver out of a limb bolt model quiver for a T/D bow.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Nice quiver.  I too have a hard time with arrows on my bow and have used a back quiver but keep playing havoc with low branches, ect.  Thanks for the photo and your input.  Really looks good.

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
I perfer a side quiver,but stalking and still hunting I've had trouble with it getting hung up,especially if I backup.Currently I'm using a bow quiver except when target shooting but,I'm probablly going back to the side quiver as it just feels right.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
I use a stalking type side quiver or one of Mark Baker's Quiver Caddy's.  Love them both.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Side quiver is about all I use anymore. We make them from light weight pvc, foam, and stickyback felt. light, quiet, and very handy.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I have a couple.  I've used Mark Bakers Quiver Caddy and have nothing but good things to say about it.  It's a great tool.

I've also got a Side Stalker (I think that's what it's name is), that I'm really beginning to LOVE to use.  It just works right and I can get through the thick and thin stuff with it.

I'm working on a GFA quiver....right now, the "spine" isn't long enough...it won't hang right.  I'm fiddling with options to lengthen it and make it work.

FWIW, I can't stand a quiver on my bow.  Too much weight and I don't like my fletching waving around.  A back quiver may work but I haven't tried that, yet.  I've got a Cat Quiver in the basement I've never used....yet.

It's been a side quiver for me for several years.  

Hope this helps.
homebru aka nathan

Online Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
I just got one of the Side Stalkers from Three Rivers for Christmas.  I am loving it so far.  I have a GFA, but I like how you don't have to buy grippers and can use for wood or carbon or both at the same time.

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I have the Vista shoulder holster, it's a side quiver too.  I used it from turkey hunting to deer hunting this year, and I love it.  Easy to manuever out of the way, it fitted the arrows from 2018's, 55/75's, down to Easton Excel 500's easily.  Runs about 45-50 dollars if I remember right, and holds 7 arrows.  Get a fleece cover and you're good to go.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
chief by jack bowyers.......

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
I use what bqram has. Got it this year and love it.
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Check out the quiver at the SimmonsSharks site. It looks like a super one to me.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »
I like using a side quiver.
Some advantages are:
If you have your straps adjusted right, you can use you bow drawing hand to guide the quiver through brush and briers. It ain't up in the air catching on overhead stuff.
You can also grasp your arrows to keep them from rattling when hopping off a ledge, log, or stepping up onto something. Or when you're in a hurry getting to your stand.
Your arrows are where you can retrieve them without making a lot of movement. They're right at your side whether you're standing or sitting. You can swing your quiver around and across your back too, and still retrieve your arrows very well, if you get tired of wearing it at your side. Side quivers ain't hot on you during warm weather either.

I have only one complaint about side quivers. They're not real handy to wear in a treestand, and when you hang them on a branch your arrows ain't at hand. But that's a small complaint I can live with.

I've heard others complain that a side quiver "flags"........ meaning the position of the arrows cause the fletching to act as a flag, alerting game. Could be, but I believe if they're flagging, they're making too much movement.

The Raptor quiver that Ted Fry makes is a nice looking side quiver you should check out also, and he's one of the sponsors here.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »
highnoonhunter (Bobby) also makes a nice looking side quiver,,, mines should be here some time next week,,, I'll post pics for you to reference.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »
I'll second highnoonhunters quivers, they are functional and very light.
Denny

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 05:02:00 AM »
Kawika, I would be interested in seeing your quiver.  In fact I would like to see all the quivers mewntioned.  Glad to hear the positives ons ide quivers.  Just picking the right one is next on the agenda.  Thanks everyone

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Tbilisi, I've got a Raptor quiver that I coverted to a single strap, I'd be glad to send it to you, so you could try it out. And if you like it , I'd make you a good deal. Mike
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Thanks for your offer SB but I think I have finally made up my mind. I appreciate everyone's input and efforts.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
The "stalker" I said I use is one from Highnoonhunter - top notch!!!  Usually gey great comments when I carry it.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tbilisi:
In fact I would like to see all the quivers mewntioned. . . Just picking the right one is next on the agenda.  
I agree.  I am starting to look for a side quiver and have appreciated the advise given here.  

Tbilisi:  What quiver did you decide on?
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©