3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using Vintage Bows  (Read 1208 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using Vintage Bows
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Hey Killie,I'am pretty certin the bow in your pic is actuly a 1964 or 1965 K mag....Bubinga(African Rosewood) and Brazilian Rosewood.....bowdoc

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
My newest bow is a mid 70's SK, Oldest I hunt with is a '59 Kodiak,, Go to bow is a Bear "A" Mag TD, "Early 70's" I did cheat and pick up a new set of limbs for it, but really don't like them and haven't taken them afield yet.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Some of my Bears & Howatts

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
59 GRIZ will be with me next season. Bought it as a 62 and found here that it's a 59   :bigsmyl:  Great shooting bow.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
I hunted last year with a late 1950's Tri-State Jaguar.  Shoots great and keeps on tickin'.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Oh yeah---please heed Jon's warning re: metal limbed old bows.  My friend gave me two old Bears---1950's era which looked like longbows with radically reflexed tips.  The heavier of the two contained a metal lamination.  Out of a sense of nostalgia, I wanted to take a buck with it before retiring it, and it shot sweetly with Easton 1816's and old style Razorheads.  It delaminated in a spectacular, bloody and painful manner.  Steve Touray told me that that bow model nearly bankrupted Bear Archery: something about the adhesives available then were not able to bond well with metal.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Willow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Haven't hunted yet but I use a 70's (not sure which year) Grizzly. Works great. Just wish I could use fast flight string.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Bowfish carp and bunny hunt with a 1970 50#@28" 56" Bear grizzly.Might try and take a deer with it this Fall.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
One more time with my question...How about the '59 or'60 Kodiak Special, the one with clear glass over zebra? Is there a delamination problem with this particular model, anyone know?
    The bow in question hasn't been strung years...probably 30 years. It's a looker and I'm leary.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Bowdoc, y'ol curmudgeon...can't you let a gal lie about her age?

Looking at the serial again, yup, she's a '65. You have a good eye for age spots.

Killdeer  :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
I also have a vintage 1968 k mag great shape would hunt any day with it still farly fast and also accurate   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
All of my hunting bows are thirty years old or older with the exception of a Saxon built for mr last year. '69 Bear B riser TD-wood, '71 wooden B riser, '72 A mag. '70 Super K, '68 Super K. The '69 is my primary bow. I can't find anything else that shoots as well.For me, that is.
                                      Grant

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I have a 1969 Bear Super Mag. refinished by Bowdoc that I use in thick brush & tight places. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Stinkie shooter,I read the rest of your post about the 1960 deluxe and special D's.Actuly those bows did not break or delaminate any more then any other bow did or does.One reason Bear stopped production of that model,is because you could see the stress cracks in the clear fiberglass real easy....Bear Archery would paint the limbs on some bows the same color as the fiberglass before putting the silk screens and final clear finish on(to hide stress cracks)...The bows were cracked right out of the forms,beleave it or not,those are really more of an expansition crack then stressing....But Bear could not hide the stress or expansition cracks in the clear fiberglass so they dropped the KD's and KSD's,after one year....but thats not to say any old or new bow could break,it just happens sometimes...I will say this...I've shot about 20-25 different KSD's at least up to 55#'s and have never had one break..well not yet! Hey Killie,I think they just get better and more beautiful with age...thats a good looken mag ya'got there....bowdoc

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks Doc! That sounds logical. I doubt that we'll shoot this one very often but it will be nice to string up and shoot occasionally. I was told that even stringing it is a risk, funny how these rumors start and perpetuate. When, (what year, approximately), did Bear get the glass quality refined so that there were no stress or expansion cracks? I've never seen it on modern bows.  Thanks, Doug

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Went hunting last week with a 40 year old Shakespeare Kaibab.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
1959 Kodiak, 60" 54#, bowdoc replaced the limb tip overlays and gave it a new finish. sweet shooter...

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
I hunt with a 1969 Bear Grizzly. Shoots as good as any new bow
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©