3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about short bows  (Read 1018 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about short bows
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
Is there draw backs to short bows like Bear Super Mag 48 ? I know finger pinch might be a problem but with my short draw 25 1/2" that might not be a problem. Do short bows forgive less? Are they harder to tune?

Thanks
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Question about short bows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
Don't know that they're necessarily more difficult to tune, but they are generally less forgiving than longer bows.  Given your draw length, a 48-inch bow might work for you.  Might you have a chance to try it before buying it?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
Two edged sword here. Finger pinch won't be an issue for you but short bows tend to have a higher brace height and thus with your draw a shorter powerstroke and that costs you in performance. They can be less forgiving and pickier on arrow choice also. All depends on how you shoot and what you want to do with it as well as the bows design.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
They are not a top choice for 3D targets and long range shooting,but for hunting in the bush and from blinds like the double Bull they are perfect.  Most are not well suited for draws over 28" but there are always exceptions.
 I like short bow for hunting, and have a few short bow reviews on my site , Kempf 50" Little Grizzly, Quartermoon 52" Hornet, and Rodney Wrights 46" Stalker.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the info
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
Harry Elburg crafted the best designed short bows I've ever owned. I have a Jaguar Mite, 48", and the brace height he marked on the little bow is only 5 7/8". I run it at six.

Adam Proctor,(Risin Son Archery), bought out Harry's bow crafting business and still crafts the little Mite bows, both in a flatbow and longbow design. The Cherokee Mite is the Flatbow and the Jaguar is the longbow with narrow limbs. You'd have no problem shooting one of these bows accurately under hunting conditions.
N/A

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Ron LaClair has a new model shrew: the Classic Hunter. 52" long with a 12" riser. I had a chance to shoot it in K'zoo last weekend. Had you a chance, your question would be answered.

Friend Curtiss Cardinal(C2) found no finger pinch even with his 30" draw.

My son and I have a father/son set of Shrew Chameleons which are almost identical in specs at a draw length of 27"...his is a 54" and mine a 56". To be honest, I like my son's bow better when shooting and hunting.

Of course, everyone (and bows) are different ;o)

http://shrewbows.com/shrewclassic.htm
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
I love the short bows and didnt notice any change in hunting accuracy (30+)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©