3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hog bait???  (Read 791 times)

Offline 300lbleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
hog bait???
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
im going to hunt an area where there are "some" hogs.
they were there during bow season when there was bait, now there gone.
i dont think there out of the area tho.

my question is...has anyone ever used like a bag of onions in a sack in a tree hung over bait to atract them from far away?
or am i thinking all wrong.

if i were to put out corn it would be gone overnite!

my problem is i can only hunt this place every saturday, so i can hunt/scout one weekend and put bait out...then come back next saturday to replenish and hunt it again.

i just want to keep them around.
im not too worried about bears cause they should be denned up hopefully.
any hints or tips???
jamie
SO SIMPLE...
A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hog bait???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
I dont know about onions. Try a couple cans of corn and about a gallon of water let it ferment, take it into the area you want to bait and bury the stuff about 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep (just pore it in the hole)and then spread out some normal corn. The normal corn should get them in and the buried stuff should keep them around for a few days as they try to dig it up, and it will soke in the dirt ( not a hole lot to eat but will smell like there is for a while).

Note: i have never tried this but have been told that it works. It sounds like it just might.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
Marty Mcmahon is the best I know at baiting hogs.
Here is is getting ready for another season.

PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
now that's allot of corn.

I have used corn mixed with sugar & water.. set for a week then put it out like WTPOPS said....

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
what wtpops sead. it has always worked well for me.
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I'll third what wtpops said.  I usually take post hole diggers with me when setting up a new hog stand. Dig three or four holes about 2-3 ft. deep and fill with soured corn and spread some more corn around at ground level.  When the hogs get on it the ground will look like someone used a trackhoe on it.  The smell of the soured corn will keep them coming back although you do need to freshing it up occasionally.

God Bless
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Biggie,

That looks like about a weeks worth of corn here in La.  Ha!

God Bless
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Leaf,

Hogs - Port Huron Michigan ???
hunt it

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Unless you are hunting on a fenced in, commercial operation, baiting feral pigs in Michigan is illegal.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but I thought I should let you know.  ;)

Offline 300lbleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
so hunting for deer over bait and a feral hog comes in...wich is totaly legal to take by the way..and i shoot him.
how is that illegal?
SO SIMPLE...
A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!

Offline 300lbleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
not in port huron, up north a bit.
pigs got out of the fenced hunting reserve, and you CAN TAKE THEM LEGALY,ALL YEAR LONG.
i just did not know about any "baiting/non baiting" laws for a non game animal, feral swine in michigan will be something we see more and more of.
it just takes ALOT of hard work tracking and hunting a group of pigs that are using 3-5 mile radius as home!
SO SIMPLE...
A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!

Offline 300lbleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
State to hunters: Help eliminate feral swine

Wild swine pose threat to domestic livestock,
environment and individuals

Hunters with a valid hunting license of any type are encouraged to shoot feral swine (free-ranging wild pigs).  All prevailing hunting rules/regulations would apply.

See counties in grey on this map:
Map of Counties that Allow the Shooting of Feral Swine(314KB)
Map of Feral Swine Sightings and Kills in Michigan- 2001 to 2007-

In states where feral swine have become established, they have caused crop damage, pose a serious threat to the health and welfare of the domestic swine, endanger humans, impact wildlife populations, and impact the environment by disrupting the ecosystem.    
    Because state law protects domestic livestock that may be running at large, special precautions are necessary to guard the rights of farmers. The following locations had at least one feral pig reported:  Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Arenac, Baraga, Bay, Branch, Berrien, Cass, Cheboygan, Clinton, Dickenson, Eaton, Emmet, Genesee, Gladwin, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Houghton, Ingham, Ionia, Isabella, Jackson, Kent, Lake, Lapeer, Lenawee, Livingston, Marquette, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Montcalm, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oakland, Oceana, Ogemaw, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, Roscommon, Saginaw, Sanilac, Shiawassee, St. Clair, Tuscola, Washtenaw, and Wayne counties.  County prosecutors are aware that shooting feral swine in these counties is permitted and any potential owners of the feral swine have been contacted and do not claim ownership.
    "We will take aggressive enforcement action to protect the health of legally imported swine used in hunting preserves and to eliminate feral swine from the wild in Michigan", said MDA State Veterinarian Steven Halstead.  "Our goal is to safeguard the livestock industry as well as the environment from these unwelcome invaders."
    "Hunters, as always, have to be certain of their targets before shooting", said Alan Marble, Bureau Chief of the DNR Law Enforcement Division.  "Feral swine are unfamiliar targets to most Michigan hunters, and sportspersons need to make sure they are shooting at hogs and not black bear, dogs, or any other animal."
    Because feral swine have the potential to carry diseases which may impact the state's domestic swine industry, MDA and DNR have set up a program to test these animals. DNR biologists at field check stations, in counties where feral swine have been sighted, will help hunters gather tissue samples to be submitted to the state diagnostic laboratory for free disease testing.
    While there is no indication that these animals are carrying pseudorabies or any other disease, Precautionary testing will be conducted.  Feral swine may also transmit diseases such as brucellosis, bovine tuberculosis (TB) and trichinosis to people and other livestock.  
    A person field-dressing swine, especially in the Northeastern Lower Michigan TB area, should wear gloves. If the lungs, ribcage or internal organs from wild pigs look abnormal (multiple tan or yellow lumps), the meat should not be eaten. The carcass should, however, be removed from the environment and brought to a DNR field office to prevent disease transmission to other animals.
    It is highly unlikely a person will contract bovine TB, brucellosis or trichinosis by eating thoroughly cooked meat of feral swine. These pathogens and parasites are very rarely found, as a precaution however, all meats, including that of feral swine, should be thoroughly cooked to an internal temperature of 170.6 degrees F.  
    State law prohibits the release of any species having the potential to spread serious diseases or parasites, to cause serious physical harm, or to otherwise endanger native wildlife, human life, livestock, domestic animals, or property.  Intentional release of swine in Michigan is a felony and may be punishable by not less than $1,000.
    The law also requires domestically raised swine (including Russian and Eurasian Boars), have a physical examination by an accredited veterinarian to determine the health status before and after importation into Michigan. Proper housing, husbandry, and confinement of the animal must also be determined at the time of importation. Therefore, swine not raised in captivity may not be imported and released anywhere in Michigan.
    To help eliminate these pests, the DNR encourages hunters to take any legal opportunity to shoot feral swine. They can be unpredictable when and where they show up. Hunters may not easily get a second chance.  (Tip) When shooting a pig, aim for the shoulder or slightly ahead of the shoulder. The vital area of a pig is more forward than a deer.

If you see or shoot any feral swine please contact one of the following
SO SIMPLE...
A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
I,ve heard to dig holes using post hole diggers 2-3 feet deep fill with corn and pour molasses or corn syrup over the holes and into the holes. Never tried it but was told it works
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
easy for pigs: 5 gallons of corn plus enough of the cheap beer (stag) to cover. let set till beer is absorbed the dump into hole.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
I have heard that the beer corn mix burried works great. I plan to try it.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
300lb leaf,... I agree that the state makes no sense by not allowing bait to be used to attract
the wild hogs. I have personally seen the damage they do in Midland, and Ogemaw counties, and that was when food was readily available.

With snow cover, and cold weather, I bet bait would be super effective at bringing in pigs.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I have tried this several times.  I have been filling a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full, then pour in one gallon of milk, then some cheap whiskey.  The original mix called for a quart of diesel fuel, but I did not want to eat a pig that had been eating diesel, so I used some cheap whiskey.  I am sure that a six pack of cheap beer would work as well. Set it in the sun for a few days to really get it to cooking.  I sprinkle some on the ground, but you could drill a few holes in the plastic bucket - just big enough for the corn to come out, and the spell to really get out.  I have had them smell it when I opened the plastic lid and start coming in.  They smelled it about 100-150 yds away and watched them follow their noses all the way in.

Offline Boar Hog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
corn

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
What pops stated first,soured corn. You can just add some yeast instead of wasting Booz. works better in warm weather. Worked real good when we lived in south fla.If you just use water put a lid on your bucket and bring it in a heated garage if possible.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©