3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would a digital camera work for me while hunting?  (Read 509 times)

Offline greywolf63

• Trad Bowhunter
Would a digital camera work for me while hunting?
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »
I'm a Photographer as well as a hunter and I was wondering if I took my Digital camera with me while hunting if it would be a problem for hunting reasons? Or should I leave the camera or the hunting at home on that day?

Greywolf   :help:
"Why do not the Indians till the ground and live as we do?" May i not ask with equal propriety, "Why do not the white people hunt and live as i do?"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would a digital camera work for me while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
From what I have seen, doing either one seriously will be at the detriment of the other.
On the other hand, it would be a real shame not to have a camera with you to record those special hunting moments.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline pobs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »
well it depends on the camera, i mean there's a big difference between lugging a D-SLR with 400mm tele lens attached and carrying a compact digital camera in your pocket.

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
I think a compact would be a great asset,and just as long as you don't take pictures like this you will be fine,critters tend to shy away from half naked men in the woods, just ask Vic,and I won't even mention about how they shorten the life expectancy of the camera.lol,lol. just kiddin', we all know how purdy he is,lol.

True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
i find it very hard to do both however i agree with Steve, if you had a compact camera that was easy to grab and shoot you would be okay. that is where i messed up, i had a simple easy to use camera that i could grab and take a shot then put away quickly. i then bought a big 10x zoom with a lot of bells and whistles that was bulky but takes great pictures. however i can not quickly grab this camera and by the time i get it out the chance for a good picture is usally gone. i hate to buy another camera but i think i'm going to get a really small compact one to wear around my neck.
 Would love to see some of your pictures if you could email me them or post on them on here.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Why not do both at the same time?

I actualy shot this little buck after the pic was snapped.

Some past years

A small digital in your corgo pants pocket can be fun, just don't try to get it out of you pocket when the one you want to take comes along. Wait till after your arrow is in him!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Yep...me too. I keep a 7.0 megapixel sony in my pants pocket. It even will take short video clips. But I never consider it when I see a critter I'm gonna shoot.

Two weeks ago it cost me a shot at  bobcat. I was screwing around with the camera when I looked down and he was standing right under me. I couldn't stand, put the camera down and get my bow before he spooked.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I always have a camera with me. Usually a 4.0mp that I keep in my backpack or in the pocket of my handwarmer that hangs on my waist. In the early part of the season when I'm not carrying a lot of extra clothes I'll have a video camera and a tree arm as well.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
I hate the thought of being in the woods without a camera, too many things going on that I would hate to not be able to record.......but when I see something I want to shoot it doesn't come out until after the shot opportunity has passed....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
For me it depends on the kind of hunting. If I am sitting a stand, I have it ready to take pics all the time. While "running and gunning" I usually never take it out until I am hiking back to camp. Also it is nice to have a decent camera in case you tag out, it is fun to me to keep hunting with my camera.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I carry one of the pocket models with me all the time. I want to have it when I kill my first big  game animal! Most of the time I wish I had a better one with me. This year I had a buck with one 4 point antler come in behind me at about 8 yards. I had no shot with my bow but I took some pictures with my camera when he was about 35 yards out feeding away. If nothing else, I can prove to my wife I where I was all day! In my defense, notice the lack of cover. This country is hard to bowhunt!  Mike

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
I have taken SO many more pictures since getting a point-and-shoot digital!

My old outfit is a Canon Eos Elan2E with a backpack full of lenses. I would never take it out on a hunt, it is just too big and bulky, and film is expensive and takes a lot of time.

The digital has given me shots that I would never have taken, allowed me to "take notes" on things that I would want to identify later, and share my experiences with my friends.

From the beautiful

to the obscene,

there are SO many things that I encounter while hunting that I wish to bring back as my trophies. A camera brings them home to the campfire.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
I Am a shutterbug myself I would love to tote a digital SLR about in the woods But One more thing to worry about, And when the Moment of truth comes the last thing I think about is my camera.  The best thing to do is take someone along who likes to take pics as well.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Both, for sure!

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
I'm a shutterbug too!  I take a larger Nikon Coolpix 5700.  Sometimes it's a pain, but then, when I need a "good" camera for those moments, it's there.  I carry it outside my pack with easy access, with a minimum of movement!  :thumbsup:

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Carrying a small digital camera has enhanced my bowhunting outings for sure. Just make sure that your flash and sound is turned off so you don't blow a few opportunities like I have.

Biggie, bragging not get you a date...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
I used to carry a digital SLR around my waist at 3D's and hunting but it was very cumbersome.   :help:

My wife gave me a little 6m Nikon for Christmas and it hasn't been out of my pocket since.   :thumbsup:   I currently have a 2mg SD card in it for storage, and can store up to 1200 picture or 3:30 minutes of video.

Mine went bunny hunting yesterday in the afternoon, and to my buddies work shop last night. You just never know when your going to have one of those moments.   :goldtooth:
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©