INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: new digital slr  (Read 3580 times)

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
new digital slr
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
Whats the best for $1000 or less. I was thinking of buying a new camera and would like a slr type.Thanks. I also have old lenses that fit a pentax.Would or could they work on a new digi?

Offline DirtyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new digital slr
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
I have a new Nikon DS-80 that is supposed to be the best SLR digital. It is an awesome performer--fast, incredibly clear and very efficient.  I bought it on a Nikon special for $1200 including the 18-70 mm lens.  I think the Sony AS 100 is a little cheaper and Modern Photography rates it the best, for about $900.  I do not know about the lenses.  I had Minolta lenses for my old SLR 7000 i, but they would not work on my new toy.  Hope this helps.

Dan Spier
Marietta, GA

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
While you can find reasonable digital SLR's under $1000, that will usually get you the body alone.  Then you'll have to add the price of lenses which, depending on what you need, could be much more than the camera.

I'd say that for your price range a Canon Digital Rebel XTi or a Nikon D80 would be a good choice.  The Canon is about $300 less than the Nikon and you can get the Canon with a kit lens - 18-55mm for just under $900.  The lens alone is about $140.  That will get you taking photos but you'll probably want to add better lenses.  Plus you'll need items like Compact Flash cards, a camera flash, a carrying bag, etc.

Personally I favor Nikon but in the price range you have Canon offers the best deals.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
I saw a Nikon D80 at Costco,2 lenses. I think it was under #1200. Is this the same as DS-80? Where would the best place to buy these at? I looked at Beach camera but Costco looked to have a better deal.

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:10:00 PM »
There is only a D80.  The Costco package sounds pretty good.  The lenses will get you started.  

You need to consider what the two lenses are keeping in mind what you want to use the camera for.  An 18-55 f3.5-5.6 would be useful for landacapes on a bright day but would be useless for wildlife.  For wildlife you'll need at least 200mm, preferably 300 or more and a faster lens - f2.8 would be best.  A 300 f4 Nikon or Canon, probably the minimum useful lens for wildlife, runs about $1100. Of course you can find third party lenses like Sigma at a lower price but they are still expensive relative to the price of the camera body.

Don't forget to pick up a Compact Flash card or two.  The 512 that comes with the camera will hold about 55 or so large jepgs.  I'd suggest getting a 1 or 2 MB card also.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »
Take it from a Canon user; the 18-55mm is JUNK. You'd be better off buying the body alone (the Rebel XT can be had for around $600 now. 8 mp, great little camera) and adding one of the Tamron Di lenses.

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
This lens is an excellent, SHARP, all-around lens:  http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/2875mm.asp

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »
If I bought just the body of a Cannon xt which lense would be the best all round for a beginner?

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
The best lens will depend on what type of photography you plan on doing. The best advice that can be given when purchasing a lens is to spend the most that your budget will allow... do not skimp on the glass, you will only be disappointed in the end!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Alaska Jim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
Right at the present I have a Nikon N90 SLR film camera with an assortment of lenses.  I was wondering if I bought the Nikon D80 digital camara body if I could use my lenses. It would save me a lot of money if I could interchange. Alaska Jim

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »
The good thing about Nikon is that they engineer their current bodies to use older lenses.  You should have no problem using your older autofocus lenses on the D80.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
I have been looking at the Nikon and the Cannon but I see some reveiws that say the picture qaulities aren't that great any comments.

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by wahoo:
I have been looking at the Nikon and the Cannon but I see some reveiws that say the picture qaulities aren't that great any comments.
If the reviews are of the Nikon and Canon DSLR's, I'd have to take exception to the reviewer's comments on picture quality.  I've made beautiful 20"x30" enlargements from the 6 MP Nikon D70. After having made dozens of 10"x15" and 11"x14" prints (and a few 12"x18"), I can say with absolute certainty that the quality is better than if the images had been shot on film. No question. We are presently shooting portraits with the Canon Rebel XT and 20D (both 8MP cameras) and the 11"X14"s look like they were shot on medium format (2-1/4"x2-1/4")film.

Jerry

Offline Alaska Jim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 02:50:00 AM »
Phil, thanks for your input,I appreciate your comments. Alaska Jim

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I started looking at the Canon XT looks real good . With the extra money you can get the other lenses. I would like to buy something after the new year. Thanks

Offline abstract

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 05:10:00 AM »
Check out dpreview.com
Very informative for choosing a camera.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
I use a Cannon 20D, this model was replaced last yr with the 30D. Both are fantastic cameras, only difference being the screen size is bigger on 30D. Up here the 30D is going for $1295.00 at the moment. If you can find someone that still has 20D you should get a deal on it. As for the lenses, I am using all my L series lenses that I have had for my 35mm Cannons. Everyone that I know that makes a living from their pictures is using Cannon digital equipment.
hunt it

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »
The Canon 30D is a good camera but only offers some minor improvements over the 20D.  The Nikon D200 offers several advantages over the 30D.  I'm sure that the next round of Canon (40D or whatever) will offer advantages over the D200.  And the cycle will continue.  

If a person has a specific need that only one company can fill - like if you shoot architecture and need various PC lenses, Canon offers a few and Nikon only offers one - either brand will serve you well.  Nikon has some advantages with their flash and Canon has some advantages in how they handle noise.  Depending on what your main use of the camera is these may or may not be of interest in what you choose.  As far as lenses go both companies offer enough lenses to suit all but those with extreme needs.

While there are a lot of Canon shooters, I know a lot of Nikon shooters as well.  A lot of what a pro uses depends on several things - who buys the equipment, what their specialty is, and what lenses they have.

Offline seabeeholly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
I was wondering about different image sensors.  I've seen both CCD and CMOS sensors on cameras that offering 10MP.  Would I be able to tell the difference in the images.  I'm aware that CMOS sensors are easier to manufacture so they're a little cheaper, but I've heard that they aren't as good as CCD sensors.  But if the megapixel rating is the same, are the images the same?

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »
The high-end cameras from Canon and Nikon offer CMOS sensors.  I truly believe that the images I get from my D2x are the equal of any film I ever shot.

Here's a Canon article on sensors:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/cmos/index-e.html

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©