3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string silencers?  (Read 441 times)

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
string silencers?
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
i have used them all, and still i want more silence without sacrificing performance.  what do you all use and which do you feel are the best from a standpoint of quiet?
many thanks-

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string silencers?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
CJC,

I recently went to Llama wool silencers and love em.  They weigh nothing and do a great job...

Unlike beaver or muskrat silencers, you don't have the weight of the hide on your string.  They shed water with just a little thump of the string as well.  

Another pro is that I can silence one bow with one "ball" of Llama wool.  I split it up into 4 equal parts and place it at the quarters on the string closest to the limb tips, then add the other two parts between the quarters and the limb tips 3" from the other silencer.  So you can silence two bows with one package of silencer material.  

One drawback is that like any fur product, they will pick up stick tights, and beggers lice.  But they come out pretty easy.

I still am fond of cat whiskers as well, but the Llama wool is a new favorite.

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
I like using natural wool. It seems to quiet very well, and allthough I haven't compared my speed through a chrony, I can't tell it robs my speed any.

Lately I've began using the synthetic fleece silencers again. They also do a great job silencing, but they don't look as cool as wool does.

But the catwhiskers, limb saver silencers, and other new fangled silencers seem to do just as good. I think it mostly boils down to personal preferance, for the look you want, whether modern or traditional/primitive looking. When I messed with wheel bows a bit, and was caught up in the speed thing, they're was only 1-2 fps between several different silencers.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
HUSH PUPPIES, do it for me!!!  :goldtooth:  

Chort

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
String leeches by limb saver.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
String leeches also.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
i like string leeches for my compound. I am tanning some coon tails for my r/d bows. I like fur silencers they look sharp too.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Some times you can quiet a bow only so much.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
I've been happy with the durability and performance of just wool yarn.  Bought a skein of merino wool (acrylic doesn't last very long) from wallyworld in olive drab.  Do about 16-20 wraps around the TV remote or a deck of card or such.  Mark you string at where you like it, 1/3 or 1/4.  Pinch your bunch of loops tight in the middle and slip it through your loosened string.  Once both are in, restring your bow and work the bunches together and pull to shape them up evenly.  Then take scissors and cut the loops.  Ten shots later, very nice puff balls.  My held up all season on my long bow.  Make about a million of 'em for less than $5.  Here's a goofy picture of me playing with my Christmas camera on New Year's morning - last day of the season.  You can see one silencer in the photo that was probably installed last July.  

Lot's of hunting, 4 deer (and I don't believe a sinlge one moved before the arrow hit) and lots of shooting and, though probably due to be replaced, still in nice shape for a few cents.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
I agree Jason...Llama hair! Works great.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Beaver  Balls are the best water prof and quiet
Gord

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©