INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Canon Digital Rebel XTI or Nikon D40X?  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Canon Digital Rebel XTI or Nikon D40X?
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
I have been looking to get an entry level, but nice Digital slr and these two models are the ones I have narrowed it down to. First let me just say that I am a complete hack at photography but would like to take some nice outdoor/wildlife pics from hunting to camping trips and everything in between. I would like to hear any pros and cons from people who have experience with these two models....ie...ease of use for a novice...obviously picture quality....and any other pertinent info anyone would like to chime in on with their two cents.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses fellas! It is much appreciated!

Mark

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canon Digital Rebel XTI or Nikon D40X?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I just recently bought a sony alfa 100 (cx100)

great camera   great price.  lots of good features

has got good reviews in the photo mags

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Woof! The age-old question...Canon or Nikon? Nikon or Canon? You will find avid fans of both brands. I started out with Canon as my first SLR, so the lenses I have are Canons. When I get a digital SLR, it will be a Canon. The point-and-shoot digital is again, a Canon, because that is what I have become fairly familiar with.

If you are not married to a brand by owning lenses already, then this site may provide you with some chewy reading for a quiet evening.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

The camera I had my heart set on buying is quite costly, and I just bought a truck for work, so it is out of sight for now. I found myself fondling a Rebel in the store today. At one tenth the price of the Glitzy Goddess, I would at least be out and at it with the long lens again!

Magazines that would aid and abet your illness are PC Photo, and Outdoor Photographer, the latter being a favorite of mine. Oh, and here is another site to keep you busy not doing chores...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Have fun and tell us what happens!  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks....found some great info on Ken Rockwell's site and decided for what I intend to use the camera for the standard Nikon D40 was the way to go for me....it comes with the 18-55mm lens and I also ordered the 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR lens...found a great deal at BeachCamera.com. Should get a hack like me started anyway. Can't wait to start shooting pics.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
And  we  can't wait to see 'em!  :)  

Killdeer  :clapper:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Nikon D50 is a good choice-----and it will generally outperform the comparable Canon(of course, I'm bias because as Killdeer says---married to Nikon), but the charts say it all.
 Not only that, but the Nikon is a lot more user friendly

Offline Sagitta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »
Canon all the way!

Either choice you wont go wrong.

Offline mattbritton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Great choice, I just got d300 last week and it's amazing. You will really love the D40, lots of bang for you buck. I would also recommend getting the 50mm 1.8, you can get it on bandhphoto.com they have great prices and are a fantastic company, I'm a pro photographer and buy things for them all the time. Enjoy your camera!

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
I have owned both Canon and Nikon digital SLR's and currently own/use a D70 with several different lens' and external flash.

With that being said, when I compair pic's from my Canon to my Nikon, the Canon pic's tend to have higher contrast and deeper colors. If I was starting at ground level again, I would go with Canon. Never had a problem with either camera. I normally carry a small point and shoot when in the field.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I just sprung for a Canon EOS 40D and absolutely love it...About the same price as the Nikon D80 but a little better ratings and fits my hand better.  Excellent ergonomics.

Offline Grant Sutherland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
I find that once you've got yourself an SLR, you don't switch brands much due to the expense of replacing all the lenses and attachments.
CANON and NIKON both have excellent optics, bodies, sensors and so on.  The only real difference is the Canon CMOS and Nikon CCD sensors but Nikon has made the switch over.  Other than that, they zoom the opposite ways and that's about it.
If you're likely to be changing lenses alot (most of us do), you may want to spring for a sensor cleaning device incorporated in the camera. (Worth it's weight in gold)
Adversity does not build courage, it reveals it.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
I am currently pinching pennies for a Nikon D80.  Fondled one in the store the other day along side a d60.  The 60 is basically a newer d40.  The 80 seems very user friendly and packed with features.  Maybe a little much for my first DSLR, but I hate replacing things, not likely to upgrade anytime soon.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Go for the nikon, by far the most for your buck. I have shot both side by side the nikon takes better out of the camera pics. I also had a friend that was die hard canon and when she used the d40x she was blown away, before that she would not even look twice at a nikon. But it all comes down to what camera you like more when its in your hands, how it feels is a big deal, and how you think the two images compare. Nothing wrong with either brand. One thing to remember is  with the Nikon D40x you can only use AFS lenses,that means the camera has no focus screw in the body (so they could make the body smaller) all AFS lenses have a motor to focus the lens, you could use other lenses but you would need to manual focus. Also the kit lens you can get is really not that bad, it all depends on how far you want to get into photography. I have had more nikons then canon myself, but they both have good and bad about them. So go to a camera store where you can play with both to see what one grabs ya.

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Grant31

Nikon does have a cmos sensor now, thats whats in my D300 ,  I just seen where you put that in your post, sorry. And you're right, once you have a brand you dont change, some people do but you really need high end gear to not loose much $$$ in the swap

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by JL:
I have owned both Canon and Nikon digital SLR's and currently own/use a D70 with several different lens' and external flash.

With that being said, when I compair pic's from my Canon to my Nikon, the Canon pic's tend to have higher contrast and deeper colors. If I was starting at ground level again, I would go with Canon. Never had a problem with either camera. I normally carry a small point and shoot when in the field.

JL
JL
Try your in camera settings, I found that with my D70 it was the same way but you can tweek it. All my out of the camera pics pop out at ya. But I have also owned a D50, D70, D80, a Fuji S2 pro, nikon D1h and now the D300. The D50 had the best out of camera pics out of the first 3 listed, then the D1h really kicked some a$$ in all ways. But now the D300! wow! I love it. The low noise at high ISO's is something. I have shots at 6400 ISO that are something, I couldnt do that with any of the others The D1h was great for low noise also. All the cameras are a little different in the settings though, just takes some shooting  get to know the camera then adjust where you need to.

Offline Blues Stringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I bought a D40 before a trip to AZ back in March.  Unless I'm going to be severely cropping something or making poster sized prints the D40 works great.

As far as there not being an AF screw in the body, it's not a big deal for me as there is a decent selection of lenses for the D40.  And if I get so serious that I want to be shooting primes and such, then I'll upgrade to a D80.

Take a look on Flickr to see a lot of D40 pics that are very good.  Just do a search for D40.

Here is a link to some of the first pics I took with the D40.  All these pics have been PP slightly, mainly a little sharpening, a bump in the contrast, and a couple I set to B&W, but that's about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloozestringer/sets/72157604255930001/

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
one thing that i didn't see addressed is intention of use. for most folks the D40 or D70 will more than suffice.  I shoot for a living and my first digital SLR was the D1x which was a CCD sensor (dust magnet)at 5.7MP. i was able to get nice prints as large as 36x44 from this camera. with 10MP camera you should be able to get sweet 16x20's all day long.

now if you plan of lugging your camera in the bush, climbing mountains and the likes you might want to look at the more durable bodies like the Canon 5D or the Nikon D300. both awesome bodies.

finally 2 things to ponder. 1st the camera does not make the photographer. one's artistic eye and knowledge of photography will surpass the ability of the camera. 2nd the camera body is only as good as the glass on the front. in truth it's better to spend the extra money on the best glass you can afford.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
In the last 30 days I've bought 2 new Canon bodies. First one is the new Canon 50D (15 meg)
and the second was hand delivered by the Canon sales rep to the camera store I deal with. That camera is the really new Canon 5D (21 meg). I've used Canon film cameras for 30 years and find them to be by far the best, Still use my film cameras. Two FI's and an M6 Leica.......moose

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 01:54:00 AM »
I think others (in the know) will agree.

Canon (I shoot) and Nikon are great cameras. What really counts is glass. You wouldn't spend $2300 on a rifle and buy a scope from Wal-Mart would you? The kit lenses and variable aperture long lenses aint that great. Sell your new lenses on **** and fork over the money for one good high end lense. You won't be sorry.

Most of all........have fun!
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline seany916

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Doesn't matter which camera you get.  Just get what meets your needs and take lots of pictures.

After a year or 2, you'll know what your needs have changed to and adjust from there.

We shoot D300s for paid shoots, but my favorite camera is still an old D70s that takes great pictures (and I won't cry if I lose it or if a kid knocks it off a table). Can't say the same for the lens I put on it though...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©