3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to sharpen a drawknife  (Read 369 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
How to sharpen a drawknife
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
What is the best way to sharpen a drawknife?  How sharp do I want it?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to sharpen a drawknife
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Sharpen the beveled side-a good fine cut file,  a stone or a lowspeed grinder are all fine. On the flat side of the blade you will only want to make a light pass or 2 to remove the burr. Some people like a "dull" drawknife to help find the earlywood between the growth rings. Persoanlly I  like sharp tools.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Like Tree Man, I generally prefer sharp tools. But an over-sharpened drawknife is a recipe for snags, "runners" along the grain line, and ruined staves or boards. My experience bears out Bowyer's Bible advice -- don't over-sharpen a draw knife. I'd say, just get out any nicks in the edge. For the most part you're using the draw for remove bark and softer outer wood, then switch to rasp and scraper or hunting knife for the finer work of tillering. I'm sure you'll get more opinions here. Good luck, dave

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  This is my first effort at building a bow so maybe super sharp is not the way to go.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I like a sharp drawknife, but you have to understand you cannot use a sharp drawknife to "hack" at a bowstave.  if you do that, you WILL have gouges.

I work a drawknife by setting the blade, bevel up where I want to start the wood removal and leaning back.

Like any tool, it's a matter of finding a technique that accomplishes what you want done.  Me, I am more comfortable learnign to work with a tool rather than leaving it dull.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Bob Smalser has a good tutorial on sharpening drawknives. He is a general woodworker not a bowbuilder, but bows are wood after all.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/bSmalser/z_art/drKnife/drKnife1.asp
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©