3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it enough for black bear  (Read 518 times)

Offline Octavian

• Trad Bowhunter
Is it enough for black bear
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
My father and I are planning a black bear hunt and I would like to know if my current setup would be adequate for black bear. I'm shooting a 52 pound longbow with a 510 grain cedar shaft.With either a Woodsman or a Zwickey Eskimo broadhead.We still have about a year to go and I can acquire a heavier bow if I needed to.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it enough for black bear
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
It's enough bow. Like most animals in North America, shot placement is the real key to game on the ground. Also, either broadhead will work, just make sure they're shaving sharp and get 'em in the boiler room.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Your 52 lb longbow, and either one of those heads will reduce the biggest black bear around to a rug in seconds.

Study their anatomy, practice, practice, practice, and when the time comes, pick a spot.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Bears aren't all that tough. Pretty thin skinned and easy to penetrate----they have a pretty good constitution as well. Like Bonebuster says, study the anatomy and practicepracticepractice.

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Yes watch out for that shoulder blade, it will stop an arrow and you'll never see that bear again.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Plenty for bear - they are not as tough as most think.  Thin skinned and not a big deal to get two holes.  The general consensus of outfitters in my experience has been to lean towards multi-blade broadheads over a 2 blade.  The reason being the fur soaks alot of blood and more blades means more cutting and blood.  The WW or even a Snuffer 125 will work fine.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
I would certainly use the Woodsman on bears---southpawshooter is right about the fur soaking up a lot of blood that should be on the ground.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
For those who have previously taken a bear, would you recommend against using a Zwickey 2-blade Eskimo?
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Octavian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Thank you guys for your input. It gave me a extra boost of confidence. I was leaning toward the woodsman my self.  :thumbsup:

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Put a snuffer on and watch for results a 3 blade is far better on bears than a 2 blade good luch and shoot straight   :archer:
Gord

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
I agree with what's been said" 1) it's enough 2) bears ain't all that tough.

I think some of it may come from they don't spend their live chased as food as many ungulates do. I think they really don't know what to do when something is trying to take their life. I've never, ever had a deer or any other non predator die as easy as my bear.

Monty, you put it tight behind the shoulder, below center of the body and it really doesn't matter what broadhead you shoot. Shot placement, as with all other critters, is key.

However, I would shoot something with a lot of blade if I could, as the fur soaking issue has been mentioned. But you put it in the right spot and blackies seem to die quick: I killed mine with an old Pearson deadhead and if fell in 5-7 yards. Course that head is like a flying meat cleaver...  :D   Lot of other guys in camp with good shot placement had similar very, very short trails.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Labs----the Zwickey will kill just fine, but with a questionable shot, the 3-blade heads will just make a better bleed hole so it's easier to track the bear. I would love to see how a treeshark works.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Plenty of bow and yes on the snuffers,Bears dont leave a good blood trail.But JC right thier not that tough.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
I been bouncing back and forth between Magnus and Zwickey 2-blades for years, although, I've been hunting with Wensel Woodsmans exclusively for the past two season. Woodsmans are quality heads to be sure, but it seems as though I'm able to get a sharper edge on the 2-blades (I cheat and use an Accusharp to finish the edge on my 2-blades).

Point well taken regarding the dense hair on a bear. I'm a rook when in comes to bear hunting and because I shoot relatively light bows (51-52#s), I can't seem to get the results of Dr. Ashby's tests out of my small brain. The last thing I want to do is one-lung a bear as the result of improper equipment selection.

Thanks everyone for your valued opinions.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
50# is plenty for black bear and I would say what ever head you are shooting should be fine..Shoot the heads as much as possible and see whats gonna fly best out of your bow.Bear hide and hair are pretty water proof (by mother nature actuly) and do not soak up blood all that much.Thier hair is hallow makeing it even more water proof.Ever used a bear hair dry fly ??? But they do die quickly if hit well.I've killed a few bear with Bear broadheads bleeders installed... 52# recurve.Never had one go more then 20 yards.But do practice practice practice with the arrows and heads you are going to hunt with as mentioned above...shot placement is key to recovering your critter...short blood trails are best...........bd

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
You are shooting more than enough weight. Just be sure your bow is tuned acheiving perfect arrow flight. About ten years ago while Bear Hunting in Maine a woman killed a 300+ lbs boar with a 43lb longbow and a 26" draw. She had full penetration and a very shoot recovery. Good luck on your hunt and be sure to keep us all posted..... Big ED
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Great setup,but remember shot placement.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
What JC said, 2 blades will work, but ya want as big a hole as possible. I would use the WW or better yat a big ol' Snuffer. Shawn
Shawn

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
labs last spring i used and 150 grain magnus stinger 4 blade not much of a blood trail but the bear only went less than 50 yards. 49# BW PSR.

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©