INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: enlarge pictures  (Read 1292 times)

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
enlarge pictures
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
I have a digital camera { Canon XTI Rebel] it is a 10 mega pixel.I wanted to try a 11x 14 poster but the company says it is not recommended they say I should have at least 1260 x 990 pixels. Can someone explain this to me. Thanks

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: enlarge pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
The more pixels in your picture the bigger you can enlarge it before it becomes blurry or pixelated.  So you need to take a large format picture if you are going to blow it up to make it look right.  That is why I take all my pics in large format.  You can always shrink the pixel size but never make add more.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Wahoo - 10 Megapixels are more than enough... I have made 20 x 30 prints that are absolutely beautiful from a 6 MP Digital SLR and 11 x 14 from a 2 MP Digital SLR.

Are you shooting your images in RAW or JPEG? If JPEG, what size do you have it set to? Usually you can set it to take many different sizes depending on how small you want the file size. I always shoot in the largest size possible, flash memory is cheap nowadays so I don't worry about using small file sizes to save space. I always shoot in RAW mode as well and do all post processing in Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CS3, much better control over the end result as opposed to letting the camera do the processing.

You can interpolate a small file size up to a larger size, but you can only do so much before you start to see different artifacts in the image.

From the sounds of it you need to shoot your photos at the largest size possible for your camera and also make sure that the compression setting you are using is for best quality and not best file size.

PM me if you need any more personal assistance.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
wahoo,

that 10 Megapixels is the maximum size image file you can create, but you may not be set up for that size. Your camera can take pictures at different levels of resolution. You may not have it set up to take pictures that have enough resolution (number of pixels in the image)to look good. Go into your menu system and play around to see what the different option are. In my Canon it talks about smoothness of lines for one of the parameters.

Good luck,

Snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
sorry been out of town. I ck the menu and it says I am using the setting for the best quality. I have some bigger frames and just wanted to go to a bigger size. I am using Snapfish, where or who do you use to develop pics? I am shooting jpeg. Thanks

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I use Mpix to develop all my pics.  They have a great service and do fantastic work.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
wahoo, i used a 5.7 mp camera for an image that was used on a billboard(12ft x 18ft). your camera is capable of producing some huge prints you just need to make sure you have it set correctly. are you able to shoot RAW files or will it just shoot jpeg files?  

another issue could be in your post work. what program are you editing and saving your images?  

if you are really having a problem with this shoot me a pm i'd be more than happy to help you work through it.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©