INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Video Cameras  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
Video Cameras
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
What are some of the best video cameras you guys have used on your hunts? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Video Cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
I like the canon GL2.   Not a bad camera for the money.  There are some better and some worst.   The audio on the GL1 was very low quality.   Canon improved it on the GL2.    Good luck
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline cliff77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I do video work for our Church and prefer sony. We use pd-170's primarily because they have the best low light performance. I've shot some archery footage and even without HD it looks good. Today's smaller HD camcorders produce better footage than SD cameras though, and are much easier to use in the field.
Genesis 27:3
Elite 60#

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Chad i'm using a Canon XH-A1 (HD) camera now and love it.  Cliff77 mentioned the low light performance of the Sony but I will put this Canon up against it. I have some really nice stuff done at near dark and the audio quality is much better in my opinion than the previous cameras.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys, do they operate quietly? I know our old camera was pretty noisy when the wind wasn't blowing much. Any tips in that area? Thanks

Offline seany916

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »
We run A1s as well and do pretty well in low light.  Never hunted with it though.  

If you want quiet operation, keep to the hard drive cameras and away from anything with tape.  Don't forget to change your settings to eliminate all beeps.

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Thanks!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
I'm using a canon GL2 and everyone comments on how clear the picture looks. It really takes a nice video.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline seany916

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
The GL2 is a great camera, but the tech is pretty dated.  For size & convenience, the HV20/HV30 by Canon as well is difficult to beat.

Yes, it's a handheld consumer camera.  The HDV picture is really crisp when downsized to DV and the audio is strangely very, very good (yes, in camera mic).

This is in comparison to XH-A1s running off of shotguns.

Offline Buckeyehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I work for an outdoor television show and all we use are sony's.  The Pd170 vx2000 and vx2100 are all great cameras.  All three cameras have 1 lux which means if there is enough light to see it, you can film it.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Chad I have used the onboard mic as well as a shotgun and have not noticed any hum or camera noise in my XH-A1. I just finished shooting video for a hunt in Texas for some of the folks here on Trad Gang. As soon as we can put together some clips i'll get them posted.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©