INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: video camera question  (Read 1403 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
video camera question
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
ok guys, here is the situation.I have just about convenced myself to get a good video camera for filming hunting trips and archery events.I have been looking at Sony DCR-vx2100 and Sony HDR-fx7.I have used a GL2 a friend has,and it is fine.I just figured if I was going to drop that kind of cash I would get a hi def camera.The problem is this.I know SQUAT about video cameras.However I did find the GL2 relatively easy to deal with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.If you know of other camera's to check out,please let me know.
Thanks Bill

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: video camera question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
ANYONE????

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I just bought a Canon Vivia HF10 which seems really nice, but I haven't used it that much yet. It has built in memory which means fewer moving parts and is super small and light. I would look into how much computer power you need to process the video, what type of files it uses, do you have a HD TV you can plug into directly, what type of CDs can you burn, etc. It seems to me that you have to think of the camcorder as part of a system that must be compatible. With mine I can plug it in directly to my TV but I will have to (I think)buy a Blu-ray player if I burn discs. Another thing is I ended up buying a bigger battery and a wide angle lens for mine, so you need to decide if the camera right out of the box will work for you. I have Canon photo gear and there is some carry over in operations so that made me go Canon.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Depends what you want to do with it.  I think you will have to spend a lot of money to purchase a HD camcorder that has a good lux rating (performance in low light).  Also the computer needed for editing HD has to be much more robust.
I bought a Sony VX2100 and have been happy with it.  This is the only prosumer camcorder I have ever used so I can't compare too much for you.  It does very well in low light compared to a lot of camcorders.
The Sony PD170 is supposedly the professional version of the VX2100.  Can't recall for sure what the difference between them are though.  Good luck.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I have pretty much decided on the sony hdr-fx7.It is rated at 4 lux and is HD.It is also SUPPOSE to be friendly to the not so camera savvy.I guess we will see.I will let you know how things turn out.Thanks for the input.
Bill

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
For what it is worth oxnam is right on! I replied on the other thread. Good luck, Bill

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
The GL2 is a very good camera I have two of them we use and they have done me and my boys well. Easy to use and editing is fairly easy with most systems
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline JJA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Bill,
If you like the Sony FX7 I would strongly suggest you look at the HDR FX1000. It has all the features of the FX7 with much better performance. Instead of the 1/4" sensors that the FX7 uses it utilizes 1/3" sensors - what this means is MUCH better low light performance. Its LUX rating is 1.5 - that is a HUGE difference at "prime time"
Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©