3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ontario moose hunting....suggestions?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Ontario moose hunting....suggestions?
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Been thinking about doing an archery (traditional) moose hunt up in Ontario.
Anyone have any suggestions as to a lodge, guide, resort, outfitter...etc?

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ontario moose hunting....suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I have heard that Ontario has poor numbers and poor overall heard health.

They have a policy of giving everyone a calf tag, and giving only certain outfitters cow and bull tags. As a result: 1) there are only a few outfitters that can guide enough hunters each year to really get good at it, 2) these outfitters can charge more than the others, and 3) the young moose get killed before they can grow.

You might want to look at Quebec or New Foundland.

On a side note, I have been thinking of doing a similar trip, but can't find anyone to go with me! I, too, am in SE MI. If you are interested in another member of your crew, let me know. I might be interested.

- Brett

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
It is sad to say Brett, but you may be right in some areas, Alot of it has to do with native hunting..this bugs me because I am part Algonquin myself.
the natives hunt when they want , how they want, from roads, out of the back of trucks, at night, etc.
This has taken a real toll on some areas moose pops.
With that being said, the further north you go, away from the roads, the better hunt you will have.
We still have alot of monster bulls up there.
My personal opinion is that natives should be governed by the same game laws we have.
Like I said, I am Alogonquin by heritage , but I think our Government has turned a blind eye and given the native groups what they want to them happy.
Happens everyday up here.
And it is an ongoing problem.
BD

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Wow...din't know about the native hunting issue and moose population.
Well, there goes that idea........
My hunting buddy and I are planning on a caribou hunt in Quebec within a few years.....like when his youngest is out of college.
We thought about the moose hunt because its so close to Mich.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Not all areas are like that, just make sure that Any outfitter you book with doesn'y have to compete with other hunters.
Like I said, Ontario is HUGE! big as 4 or 5 states or more...You can find a good one if you do some looking.
Ask for references and do NOT go with the cheapest.
Good luck, We would love to have you in Ontario.
Remember , there are still lots of real good spots, try checking far NW Ontario.
BD

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, Big Dog.
I found a website that has alot of info and outfitters in Ontario for moose.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
If you can handle a "do it yourself" hunt (no guides, get the animal out yourself), check out  www.goldeneaglecamp.com.   It's been a few years since I was there, and we didn't get a moose (due to the weather--got real hot in September), but there were obviously lots of moose there--a couple of big bulls were spotted.  Beautiful place, very nice cabins to stay in, very reasonably priced.  It's located in Northern Ontario, near Elk Lake in the James River territory.

Chad

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Just remember, you HAVE to go thru an outfitter in Ontario. You can hunt unguided, but you must be thru a registered outfitter.
the place Chad gave you the link to sounds good, James river is remote and should hold some huge bulls. Also it will give you the TRUE wilderness expeience.
Don't overlook Labrador( not to be confused with Newfoundland, Labrador is the mainland)
HUGE unspoiled tracts of prime moose country.
I've seen pics of GIANT bulls from there.
Keep looking, you'll find some good things. I wish you the best, I myself am looking for a hunt this coming Sept. for moose( if not then the next year)
BD

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Big Dog:
Is it normal to see a license for harvesting a "calf"?

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
When we buy a moose tag it is automatically a "calf" tag.  we have to apply for a cow or bull tag.
A calf is a huge animal come Sept/Oct.  400-550 pounds .
That is the system they have here.
BD

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks for that info!
When I thought "calf" I thought of "fawn"...LOL.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Sorry Valentine, but I have disagree 1000% with what you have heard.

Ontario's moose heard is stong and there is no health issues. All outfitters that qualify and are in moose wildlife management areas get tags alotted. The only exception being new outfitters that did not buy an existing camp/lodge/guide area, these folks have to wait on a waiting list for who knows how long. As for everyone getting a calf tag this is the system. Statistics show that calves are least likely to survive winter so shoot em if you can. I have been hunting moose in Ontario for 25yrs and have only ever had two calfs killed in my group in that time. When archery hunting/calling in rut never had a shot at a calf. Number of calves shot is minimal compared to adult moose. As for the native issue, it's been around for many a years. Not as big a problem as most make out and is little/or no issue if you consider a fly in archery hunt. In recent years the management plan has produced good results for our herd. As far as archery hunts are considered there are many great outfitters. I suggest you look up  www.northtoadventure.com  you will look long and hard to find a better outfit and their archery sucess is great. I have dealt with these guys for over 20yrs now and take a party of 6 in for archery moose every year.If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
hunt it

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
The place we went with last year has two bull tags open for 2007. Unfortunately, the resort will be under new ownership in another couple months, and I don't know anything about the new people taking over or who they plan on using for guides.  

Northwest Ontario is a beautiful place. One of these days I'm definately going back.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Dave is right, the native issue is only prevelant where the road system lets it be...
Like I said too, fly in , get away and we have a good moose pop.
Dave would know better than I on alot of this stuff. He has the time to get out and hunt all over on a moments whim; he has the photo albums to show it! LOL! Us poor buggars really have to look hard and do the research.
Huntit already has the goods on file, use it man!
PM him, he could get ya hooked up quick.
BD

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Great information. Thanks  How about Manitoba, for moose? and/or Caribou?

I am planning on one of these for 2008 and would like to do Manitoba as it is closer.

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Hunt It:
Thanks for the link and all that info!!! I saved the website to my "favorites".

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Glad to see Jason posted, He was just up there and harvested a beautiful moose so he has recent info!

Bill
Aim Small

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by hunt it:
As for everyone getting a calf tag this is the system. Statistics show that calves are least likely to survive winter so shoot em if you can.  
I'm not trying to create a stink here, because I am not by any means an expert, I have never hunted Moose, and I am basing what I have said on what a few reliable friends have told me. However, your statement really infuriates me regardless of the topic. The logic just doesn't work!

If 50% of calves make it through the winter (picking a number here...) and hunters kill 25% of the caves before winter (picking another number...), that means that only 37-38% of the calves make it through the winter and hunting season rather than 50%. It's not possible to have adult moose without calves!

But again, this is just my opinion...

The rest of your information is very helpful.
Thank You,
Brett

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Contact canoe canada outfitters , e-mail Bud Dickson  there . I have been on canoe trips many times to Quetico park ont. you can not hunt in the park , but Bud runs the hunting part of there outfitter buisness on land outside of the park . There is a very good moose population there . They are great people , and outfitters , and worth a look ! Bud has a web site for bear & moose hunting , but i can not find a paper on it . canoecanada.com  >>>---->RIVERWOLF
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Found Bud Dickson hunting web site .  www.budsqueticocountryhunts.com   There located in Atikokan Ont., off of 11   Good luck ! Wish i could afford a moose hunt up there .There are alot of moose in that area , alot !  >>>-------->RIVERWOLF
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©