3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: G 5 small game head  (Read 607 times)

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
G 5 small game head
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
Is anyone using the SGH by G5? I picked one up today at gander mountain.It looks really wicked.Stainless steel,hollow ground,curved blades.It looks very strong.   :campfire:

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: G 5 small game head
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
I seen them at bass pro the other day and was gonna get some if the guy behing the counter wasn't such a a**hole.

Looks like kinda and expensive head to lose.

I'd be curious as to what other experience with them is. I bet they turn small game inside out

Have a look at the new muzzy SG-X...although it looks like it only comes in 100gr points.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Used them last fall. Love them! They put the hurt on grouse and hold up way better than judos imo. They are a little pricey, but I will be getting some more for this year.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
I'm just too cheap to put that kinda money down on something that I'm liable to lose after one shot...my shooting sucks by the way...They are one wicked looking head though, and I agree with Jeff, I bet they do a number on small game.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:14:00 AM »
they are pretty strong, but i broke 2 of the 3 i bought, i did break them on steel flat bar so what do you expect, never broke them on rocks, limbs or trees, yes they turn a rabit inside out and do a number on rattlesnakes.

as for holding up better than a judo i don't know, i have never broke a zwickey judo, the easton and eagle claw judo's are worthless only the zwickey's hold up.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »
I paid 8.00 for the head.I only bought one. Zwickey judos are the best. But this thing just looks so lethal..     :campfire:

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
Unfortunately for me, I shoot left wing-----wrong way for the cutting edge of the SGH. I think it is a bit gimmicky, but have no doubt it would work fine. The Magnus is better still, in my opinion(cheaper, too).

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Way to much for something I am gonna not find after a few shots at bunnies. I still prefer regular old blunts for all my small game unless I can use an old broadhead. I have shot everything out there and I have the same recovery rates as I do with blunts. Judos are not good for bunnies or squirrels as they hang up on brush ansd limbs when ya try and squeeze one through, same as the G%, it grabs stuff on it way. Hex blunts are better than either but do no more for a kill than reg, blunts for me. I would not waste my money, $8 I could buy 36 blunts for that. Shawn
Shawn

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I tried the SGH's they do real good. But I am with Shawn on this one. Blunts a way cheaper. I like the ace hex heads. I shot a squirrel with one yesterday and it practically took his head off.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
They saved the day for us in Wyoming a few years ago. We were hunting rabbits with judos and if you didn't hit them in the head they would jump down the nearest praire dog hole. I switched to the G5 and it killed them much quicker.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
I'll be using it tomorrow.I'll let you all know what I think.   :campfire:

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I bought two and broke the blades off both in one day shed hunting last spring-not rocky ground either.Keep wanting to send them back but never take the time- already cost me too much.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
I like them and they do a wicked job on rabbits.  I wish they offered them in 150gr.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Used to be one of my favorite heads. Had just the right blend of shock, cutting action, durablity, and unloosability. Took more frogs, crows, and rabbits with that head than just about any other. In fact, if I wasn't shooting high-FOC heads, I'd still be using them...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I've been using them for a while too and I like them better than a Judo.  I always seem to break the spring arms off on the judo. I have Hex heads also and do like them but they bury up more.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Juniper Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
I would try them if my big game broadheads were not cheaper! Like others have said, no doubt they would work great, but I would have to sit down and cry for a little while if I lost one.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »
I used the g5 stump shooting today.It held up really well.I did hit some roots,trees and sticks with it.  

My feathers are left wing,so that created a problem at longer yardages. I mounted it on a four fletch arrow now,I don't know if that will help.It should work ok,in theory I guess.I'll find out next time i stump shoot.

It did manage to hook itself in brush on the way to a target once,but so did a judo point.

All in all,I like the g5,and will probably buy a couple more of them.

I also have the other kinds of heads you guys mention.

I like trying out new archery things,and I liked the g5 SGH.      :campfire:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
I think for the price, I'd be sticking with regular, if cheaper, broadheads! MA-3s work wonders on pretty much anything with a face & for under $20 for 6, I ain't too bothered about losing a few!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
I think for the price, I'd be sticking with regular, if cheaper, broadheads! MA-3s work wonders on pretty much anything with a face & for under $20 for 6, I ain't too bothered about losing a few!
"anything with a face"...now that's funny right thar, I don't keer who ya are!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I haven't used the SGH, but I shot a squirrel with a hex and knocked it off of the tree.  Then it got up and ran away, laughing the whole time.  I guess I need to work on my aim.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©