3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS or Bob Lee  (Read 801 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
ACS or Bob Lee
« on: January 06, 2008, 03:42:00 AM »
It was so long ago when I put my name on the
ACS waiting list that I had forgotten about it.  I got an email from them saying my time has come - to shut-up or pay up.

My last bow was the BoB Lee Signature T/d L/B.  I like this bow so much, it fits me like a glove, is fast and smooth and I'm driving tacks with it.

However I had always thought that the Adcock bows were the best and I want the best.  What do I do boys and girls????  Please give me some advice.

It is the three piece Adcock that I have ordered, and I like three piece bows the best.  I only shoot 43# which is not much for out big Aussie feral swine.  Will I get the extra speed from the Adcock, as opposed to my Bob Lee?

It represents a lot of money to get one of these down to Austrlalia.  I have never even seen an Adcock down-under, let alone held or shot one.

I need advice from those who have shot both.

Do I whack the dough on the table lads, or do I let my name pass by, save some dough and keep the Bob Lee.

sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS or Bob Lee
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:47:00 AM »
If your shooting good with the Lee---pass on the Adcock. Its a great bow, but if you are doing well with the one you have, why? Do we really need the big name bows just to be cool?

Fixed the "typo" for you. VM13

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:52:00 AM »
Keep the Bob Lee unless you have just got to have
the ACS.  A really nice bow for a shorter wait time is Black Swan.  I got on the list also.  Going to take my name off.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
Your performance gain measured in dollars is going to be huge.  That said however, the Adcock is a very nice bow; well balanced, extremely smooth, quiet with speed as advertised.  No hand shock what so ever.  In spite of those narrow limbs it seems fairly stable and forgiving as well.  All things considered, if you want the best this is probably it.  It will feel easier to draw than your Lee pound for pound, and will be noticeably faster.  To match the Adcock's speed you'd probably need to bump the Lee's poundage between 10-15 lbs of draw weight in my experience.  Other shooting differences will be less obvious.

Dave

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Kawika, JBiorn likely meant " pass  on the ACS."
He would not have intentionally spoken so harshly in front of our children. Dang typos.

Killdeer.  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain...if the Lee "fits you like a glove" and you are shooting it real well, there is a good chance you may not like the CX, totally different grip, slightly more reflexed riser, and the truth is, Bob Lee's are a very smooth drawing bow themselves. The CX will be faster, but as to whether it it will be as stable and forgiving for you as the Lee, well, that may not be your experience. And yes, I've owned and shot both.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
I believe when you find a bow that you shoot well, and it fits your style of shooting, stick with it. You can trade around and buy alot of different bows, but you'll probably come back to "That One". At least that's been my experience.  Jr.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
Keep the opinions flowing folks - this is great stuff.  I need to hear from people who have owned and shot both.  I know the final decision is mine - but there is no chance of me shooting one of these first, in Australia.  All I can do is ask lots of questions - or I just might (as they say)"blow my dough"!!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
You will see some gains in performance.  Only you can deicde if it will be enough to justify the expense.  On the other hand, jsut because it will be faster, doesn't mean you will shoot it better.  I would personally go with the Adcock bow, but I know that they fit my style of shooting better than any bow I have shot so far.  If you don't need to sell the Lee to finance the purchase, you can always get the Adcock and form your own opinion, in a side by side comparison. Then if you don't like it, you can sell it.  You definately won't lose any money on it.  Of course if you decide to pass, it would move me one notch closer, as I am currently on O.L.'s list also!  LOL!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
If it is one of OLs bows than I would buy it. The Lees are great bows but OLs bows are very nice and ya can get your money back on it. The A&H bows are great bows, but just not for me.  I agree with Larry though, the CXs are finicky for some people. Shawn
Shawn

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
You might be able to drive needles with the ACS you never know until you try it. I've got one on the way and I intend to try all the top notch bows before I hang it up.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I dont care for the grip on ACS...and if its OLs...well thats just too long!!! BoB lee all the way!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Ya mean OL is actually workin on his list??Funny I didn,t see to many names left before me and yours wasn't one of them.If OL is actually making you a bow ya might wanna grab it if your so inclined because it likely will never happen again.I'm officially at 5 yrs and quite frankly thats BS....sorry for the vent I better just shut up

Congrads on your up coming toy I hope it's all that ya want it to be and more! Keep the Lee an extra bow around that ya shoot good is a good thing
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Both bows preform very well. I have shot BLs a lot and own 3 ACS 3 piece bows(well my son did take one of them).
Both are smooth, fast, well behaved bows. But the ACS has the edge on performance and that buttery beautiful feeling draw.
The grip I hear some people talk about does not strike me as being any different from what is being put out by Morrison, Lee and others on R/D longbows these days.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
Philip    I have never shot a ACS but now have two Bob Lees and had another.When I had quit smoking for 11- months I took my wife to Shrevport La. and brought my wife on Mardi Gras eve.We ate a great steak and she shopped the next day at the new mall.I went to the Bob Lee factory and ordered a new Bi-cent bow with 3-sets of limbs great bow fits me perfect and Rob even  redid the grip to get it just right. The bow is beautiful and the colors are reversed from the regular Bi-cent.The bow cost a good amount of money (not including the motel,steak and shoping)and I will never sell it but I hunt out of two camps and found a used longbow Bob Lee (fraction of the price) but use recurve limbs more often and wanted a spare bow to leave at one camp so as not to have to haul so much gear b/c it is a 1 1/2 mile bike ride to the camp no trucks.I bought this bow and it is a smaller riser no longer made by Lee but fits me perfect and I find I do not leave it at the camp, I intended it for instead bring it home to hunt at my other hunting area also.My reason for typing all this is to say if a bow fits you what more do you want.If you found a great bow I would not spend the money on an expensive bow that may not fit you. My .02.Kip

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
You said you wanted the best, get OL's. Mines the smoothest I've ever owned in over 55 yrs.
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline artvin

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Adcocks  bows are great bows.  They perform well.
And will out perform the Bob Lee if it is a longbow. I shoot a Bob Lee Recurve and love it but when it comes to longbow shooting I grab my Adcock.  

One of the big reasons O.L.'s list got so long and out of date is because he ran into medical problems because of the glues and solvents used to build bows and developed an alergic reaction that put him down for  some time.

Anyway, the New ACS bows are also great bows...the metal riser adds weight that is great for stabilizing the bow.

So depending on which one you want...I'd still say get the Adcock.  If it turns out you, for some reason, don't like the bow you will be able to sell it for whatever you paid for it without any problem.

Art
I'd rather wear out than rust out.

Work is the beginning, the middle and the end of success.

www.archeryleather.com

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Shoot the Lee. No bow is worth more than my old truck. I`d have to sell it to buy an acs.RC

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Why fix what isn't broke? If you're shooting the Bob Lee well, I'd stick with it.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
When you get a bow that fits you well and you shoot it good your search should be over.Personally I would save the money and shoot what you have.Some fall in love with the ACS bows but just as many don't care for them for one reason or the other.That is a lot of money just hoping you fit into the first group. :)The only way I would spend that much on a bow is if it was in my hand and I liked the way it was shooting.I would then buy THAT bow not get on a list for one I hoped shot like that one. jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©