3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how far will they go?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
how far will they go?
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
just wondering, lets say I shot an average size deer at 10 yards from the ground with a shavig sharp wensel woodsman out of a 48# longbow, its a double lung hit and a complete pass through, how far will it go before it dies and how much of a bloodtrail can I expect, I missed a doe last night at 10 yaards and was wondering what would have happened if I hit her in the right spot
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how far will they go?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
depends how startled she was by the shot and how relaxed she was Prior to the shot. I shot a doe this year, That WALKED 10 yards after the shot and just fell over, I dont think she knew she was shot be cause she was in the middle of SNEEZING when I shot her. I used a 2 blade G5 broad head I dont have the heart to use a WW on does LOL!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
I can tell you that she wil not go farther than 100 yards no matter what, perect double lung and pass thru, they are done quick. I have had them just stand there after a hit like that and take a step and fall over dead. Ialso have had them keep eating after the hit. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Keep eating????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow what a sight!!

You must be some shot to slip it past the ribs so clean!!!  .....lol   :knothead:  

Well done!!

I will have to agree less than 100 yrds, and if you hit them low enough in the lungs there will be a good blood trail to follow.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Depends on quite a few things.I've had double-lunged complete pass-thru's on deer go anywhere from 10-15yrds and just fall over,and I've had them run 150 yards all out,and everything in between.I don't think there's any average or definate answers.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Ive had them run from 30 to near 150 yards

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
are there good bloodtrails with WW
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
The biggest buck I've killed to date simply stopped walking, looked around and fell over dead. Like Shawn, I've had several jump a little then go back to browsing or just walk off.

A sharp broadhead that hits no bone is relatively painless. Like cutting your self while shaving, you normall don't realize it until you see the trickle of blood.

Regardless, a deer that is double lunged isn't going far...usually less than 40 yards.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
My largest buck ran almost 150 yards after a clean double lung hit.  After 75 yards there was no blood to trail and I finally found him on a hunch.  I was doubting myself at the shot placement before I finally found him.  Dressed weight was 185# so he was close to 200# live weight.

Dennis

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
150 yards is the maximum I've seen on a double lung hit.   :campfire:

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
On average, I'd say they won't go much over 100 yards. I did see one doe that went 300 yards after a double-lung pass through, but the deer was extremely wired when it was shot.

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
No one can really say,you have to experiance it yourself.jonesy

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
My experience: almost always <150 yards.  Usually <100 yards.  Most frequently around 60 yards.  Occasionally, <20 yards.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
I like it when they run a semi circle, they go away and then get closer. most of the time inside 150 yards.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I like it when they run TOWARDS the truck!  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
if a deer is relaxed when its shot - I would expect it to drop at about 60 yards with a double lung hit.

I have shot deer through the heart that didn't hear it coming; that started feeding; fell over; and one buck that bred a doe and fell off of her quite dead.

If a deer is alerted; then it will really pick um up and put them down; and cover ground. If the arrow hit where the shoulder can come back as it runs- it can keep blood from coming out as it would when the wound was not covered.

Then too; hit a bone; and the deer will travel further- due to the shock to the system. A two blade head between ribs; it is like a shaving cut; compared to taking a baseball bat and hitting a rock. ( don't try that at home).

Another thing is the arrow that does not pass through. If its swinging around or slapping the deer; it will go further.

Deer normally run from danger into the next cover; and then put their tail down; and check their backtrail: to see if they are being followed.

If they are hit they can tend to do the same thing; to run a distance and stop and look back.

A lung hit collapses the lungs; and the oxygen stops going to the brain real fast; and they hit the ground when that happens- but toss in some adrenaline and they will cover more ground.

This shows itself real well with gut hit deer. They will lay down within yards; and die there; but if they get pushed; they can run for miles.

Timing is really important in bowhunting. Waiting for a shot at a calm deer is not always possible; but always preferable!
  :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Sorry Jason, I ain't buyin it.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Matty and Brian make very good points  :campfire: ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Double lungs, 100 very possible, 150 maybe, 300 No way.... I have never had a double lung go over 100 yrds...

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
300 on a double lung hit not happenin, however i have had single lung deer take me over a mile.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©