3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how far will they go?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how far will they go?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Bob, Joe and Biggie,

Are you calling me a liar?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
Jason, I think they are saying that they have never witnessed that.  Me either.  300 yards with no air is incredible for any living thing but I suppose it's possible.  Heart shot deer going that far is more common  :wavey:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Jason- I really believe you- if the broadhead is dull. That can be subjective; I have had people tell me they have sharp broadheads; and I have stopped right there in the woods; and sat down and made their broadheads sharp....because they were not.
 And with a dull broadhead; there ain't no way to tell how far it will go.
 With sharp broadheads; its gonna drop fast. If its running hard with adrenaline in it; yep that could be a ways- but no doubt within 100 yards.
 If the broadheads are dull; then a double lunged hit could go a long way.
  If you cannot shave hair from your arm; its not a sharp broadhead. If you take a new head and shoot it into a target - as I have seen people do on television a hundred times; then that head is just NOT going to cut like when it is sharp.
  Biggie and the others - I would bet my last dollar on- shoot sharp broadheads!!
  So what they experience - may not be what you see. If your going on your buddies hits on deer; well your dependant on if they used sharp heads; and if your going on what you have experienced; I suggest you search your heart for an answer as to the sharpness of your broadheads.
  These people that are dubious are of great character; and not saying what they do out of disrespect.
  You hunt with these guys; and you will see they know their stuff.
   Let the light in.

Brian
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Van,

Actually, their responses were "I ain't buying it", "No way", and "not happenin". And since I'm not one for beating around the bush, I'd just like to know if I'm being called a liar or not.

I'll readily admit that it was about twice as far as I've ever seen a double-lunged deer go before, or since, but it was what it was. 10-yard shot on a slightly quartering-away mature doe with a recurve and a Woodsman head. And yes, the head was sharp...I'd just put an edge on it the day before and it'd shave hair. If it won't, it doesn't go in my quiver.

This was opening day in WI, 2002.

The arrow entered the rear third of the near lung, exited the front third of the far lung and stuck in the dirt. Organe damage was confirmed when I field dressed it. I checked the recovery distance with a GPS and a laser rangefinder...twice. I could check my notes to see the exact number I averaged the recovery at, but it was at or a hair over 300 yards. Until I actually field dressed her, I'd have swore I only got one lung just by how far she went.

On a side note, I just found that avatar of yours in one of the old Archery magazines I got off the classifieds a few weeks ago. If you don't have the entire magazine (instead of just the photo) let me know and I'll send it your way.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Jason I'm not callin any one a liar, I wasn't there, can't argue what I didn't see.  However were the deers lungs examined and was the yardage paced off.  If the answer to both questions is yes then I guess it happened. i didn't intend to offend anyone. I've shot deer that were wired up and even with their best effort they didn't make it very far.  A few years back i had a doe come in that was spooked by another hunter, I double lunger her and she took off diggin hard.  She literally passed out runnin and did sort of like a sommesault but even then she probably only made it 120yds.  On the other hand I had a deer I swore i double lung that upon checkin the lungs only one had a hole in it.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I type to slow.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Jason, I don't think anyone called you a lair, and anything is possible with wild animals. But thanks for reminding me why I very seldom post on any site...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Joe.

FWIW, I always confirm organ damage when I kill an animal (small game notwithstanding). On this one I checked everything over and over again just to make sure. I usually just estimate the recovery, but for this one I used a laser rangefinder and a GPS twice each.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Jason - if you shot it quartering away; and it was on the left side; did it go through gut material before going into the lungs; or if the right side; did it go through the liver? Either one could dull the head. I have seen broadheads stopped completely by hitting the part of the stomach where the freshly broken off twigs were. Indeed it is like a bullet proof vest in its composition. Liver hits hurt; and the deer would really pick them up and put them down.
  I think we were all thinking totally broadside; totally a double lung hit without any other organs being hit.
  I gotta say - doubting your word leaves a bad taste in my mind.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Brian,

The entrance wound was slightly in front of the diaphragm. No gut or liver. In one lung, out the other. If I had to guess, I don't think she was quartered more than 15 degrees at most.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
58 yards, 4 and 7/8 inches.  Yeah that's it....according to the book of double lunged deer recovery distances.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
first of all i say keep practicing on your shots!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
The worst part is...all of these answers are true. You NEVER know what will happen when you drop that string. A good knowledge of your quarry, decent ability in the woods, and some good buddies to call when you need them will make all the difference in the world.
No animal will act like the one before. Not every shot will be perfect. Focus on practicing "the shot", having sharp BHs , and get on every blood trail you can, even if nothing is gained but knowledge. You will learn something on every trail. Good luck Ian, I look forward to reading about your first deer soon.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
I shot a 200# 135" buck in ND this year exactly as you describe. 8 yds, off the ground, centered both lungs.  He actually went over 250yds.  I was quite suprised.  We did an autopsy and it was centered in both lungs- quite amazed he went that far.  That was a first though- all others over 25 years have been less than 100.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I am going to agree with Pete Patterson on this one. Its the only logical response.

nuff said

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
thats a great question... i think typically they will be done within 100 yds..If you are in thick cover ..probably closer...if you are on a field edge...i know a double lunged deer can go 200 yds on a sprint.... we tracked one this year and it was a good 200 yds, before it piled up...He was going to the thicket along the creek and he gave it his best.... as far as blood trails...they all differ.... but what you really want to look for is pink blood with bubbles in it...if it is deep dark red... it may be muscle or liver...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
I shot a five pointer from 5yds on the ground this year and double lunged him. That deer ran a good 100yds. I didn't think he went that far so i got up after waiting a few mins and jumped him up. Blast, he didn't make 40yds past that point.

I shot a four point from about 20yds with a three blade from a tree stand and he turned a circle and fell down under me. You never know what the crazy deer will do, one thing's for sure, don't rush up to one after the shot unless you see it fall and know for sure he's down for the count.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
From what I've seen for myself,there is no average distance.
With a double lung hit I've had them go 15 yards,and I belive that deer was dead at 10 yards but rolled down a bank after falling.
Then I've had a couple go around 100 yards.
Some times heaps of blood,some times just a few drops.
The only definate,,,they always go down hill and end up a some sod of a place to drag em' out from.I'd love it if just for once,one of them would run up hill a die on a nice flat spot,,,,just once would be nice,,,LOL!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 03:24:00 AM »
Hmmmm... Sounds like Jason was busy watching his Garmin, walked past his deer, and recovered a doe shot by some poor sap a hill away.  

Just kidding Jason! All in fun...

I shot a buck once that went at least 200 yds.  Double lunged him at 15 yds broadside.  He ran about 40 yds to the field edge and stopped. I expected to see him fall over right there.  To my surprise, he took off across the field and made it to the other side where he dropped as soon as he hit the brush. It was amazing.

That's the only deer I've ever seen go more than 100 yds on a double lung hit.  Most go quite a bit less.  I've never had a bad blood trail on a double lung hit regardless of broadhead.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©