3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 357 cases  (Read 527 times)

Offline deersled2

• Trad Bowhunter
357 cases
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
I've read on here where some of you use pistol brass for blunts. I have a boat load of 38 and 357 brass laying around. Do you just glue them on like a field tip? They only weigh 65-75 grains. Do you add some weight somehow or just shoot em as is. Would you leave the spent primer in or out? Does it matter?

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 357 cases
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
i leave the primer in and add small washers or lead inside to give them more weight.  :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
I would melt some lead shot into the brass until I got the weight I wanted and glue it on.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
I posted this on another thread.

I press the .38/.357 case OVER a 125gr. field tip. This gives me a point weight of about 160-175gr.

And, you can heat the point and remove it, and glue on a broad head, at a later time.

The field points tip seems to push into the flash hole of the case, and centre the tip in the case.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Yep,
   That's about all anyone used back in the '60s. We used to trickle in #8 lead shot until the weight was right then crush the shot down with a punch or melt it in. I've also used the crushed/melted shot method to adjust weight with glue-on boadheads. Works great.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
HEY!!
Where the bloody yell is a Canadian getting pistol brass?? Somebody call the authorities!  :smileystooges:  

Killdeer  :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
I add #6 shot and than just put some JB weld down in there and push it on. Never had one come off and I can get them close to 125 grains. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
When I saw this topic ... Karnack holds envelope to forehead ...357 cases  rips open envelope... the amount of beer bentpole used to drink in a year.Sorry folks couldn't resist.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Yeah,were is a CANADIAN getting pistol brass???
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Nice thing about the  #8 shot is one pellet weighs one grain.. Makes life easier when you want a certain weight and don't have a scale handy. Other than that "Size doesn't matter" I vote for melting it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I believe handguns are not ILLEGAL in Canada...just more hoops the owners have to jump through to own.  Besides, there are plenty of lever action rifles made in .357 mag.

As for blunts, I take a hacksaw and remove the tips of the screw-on field tips. Glue on the .357 case which makes a great stumpin arrow with about 200 gr. up front.
Lon Scott

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Tim Nuss and I were talking about adding weight to bullet casings one day when he gave me a great idea. Know how many pieces of shot will give you the weight you want (like, for example, 30 pieces of 8 shot). Stand up your bullet casings on a hot plate, drop in the shot and let the heat melt them all at once.

Sure is a lot faster than doing them one by one with a propane torch and a grain scale.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Punch out the primer and pop rivet a slightly larger star washer on it.  Makes a hard to lose blunt.

Dennis

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Jason,
I just use a range for that exact purpose...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
I drill out the primer hole large enough for a 10/32 allen bolt. Put the allen bolt in from the inside and screw on a 10/32 locknut against the rim. About 135 grains. You can add washers for a bit more weight.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Does anyone know of a good supplier?  Everything I've found so far only sells in large quantities and I just do not have the extra cash with a growing family on a law enforcement salary.  I'm just looking for a couple hand-fulls.  Thanks
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Well, you should have some being in law enforcment   :D   don't you carry a gun   ;)  

couldn't resist.

pm me your addy, I think I have some -at least one hand full or maybe half.

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
One thing to keep in mind when you melt the lead in the case.
The lead will shrink more than the brass when cool.
Rattle, rattle!

Stick a punch in there after they cool and give it a smack to stop that.

I don't glue the case to the shaft any more either. I made a crimping tool from an old pair of pliers and just crimp them onto the shaft. It's faster and just as secure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©