3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to oder a bow, best out there in your opinion?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to oder a bow, best out there in your opinion?
« on: February 01, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Seems like it takes about a year or so now a days to get a bow from the top bowyers. I would like to start thinking about my next bow. Give some opinions on who's making the best bows out there. I have some Morrisons and a Habu Vyperkahn LB Carbon coming to me soon. I was looking at Norm's bows the DAS and the Centaurs, for example.

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to oder a bow, best out there in your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Was also thinking about a Shawnee with LB limbs from Bob? I have only shot his TD recurves.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
In my opinion, and within the context of my considerable experience, the best bow out there is the one at the end of a steady arm and a steady mind.

The most instructive lesson I have had about bows happened at a traditional shoot. A guy in his 60's, shooting a homemade osage ELB, shut everybody else down, including some archers with very pricy well known bows.

Having said that, there are some great bows out there; some can be had in a month for under 500.00, and some can be had in a year or more for 1200.00, but the reality is, none are magic, but there are some magical archers out there.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I own a Mike Baker Longbow, best bow I have ever shot and a fairly quick turnaround. he goes by Bodork on this site, do NOT pass him by...Barry
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Hard to go wrong with a Caribow. I have a recurve and a  Silver Fox longbow, and will probably order a third set of limbs for the longbow in spring. I like 'em.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
I think GD said it better then I ever could. The best bow for any one person is the one he/she can be dead nuts on with. I personally went thru a phase of buying/trading/selling bows a while back. I was searching for that bow that would instantly make me a crack shot. I now cringe  :scared:   when I think about all the bows I went thru during that phase. I now realize that finding a well made bow that fits my shooting style and shooting the living dog snot out of it is the only way to know if it's going to work for me. I know instantly know   :thumbsup:  but your mileage may vary. Best to go to a big shoot with vendors and try different bows to get a personal feel for them and go from there. Soooo many nice bows out there. Great to have so many top notch bows to pick from.

Good luck in your search.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
All the bowyers you mentioned make fine bows. Some of us aren't looking for a silver bullet but just enjoy shooting different bows made by the great craftsman out there. Give Black Swan a look also. He makes excellent shooting bows and he usually has a few in stock and if not 4-8 weeks is about all it usually takes to get a bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Jeremy, From your list it is obvious why you are still looking for a new bow... It is because you don't have a Black Widow yet... LOL

As much as I like other bows, since I got my PSA3 BW recurve I rarely will shoot anything else. It never fails me. So far I have harvested a 9 point Whitetail and a Caribou bull in Alaska.

Just kidding about the bow list... LOL. Truely, as said before only you can define what shoots best for you. For me it is a BW for others perhaps any of a number well made bows.
Regards,
Bill
Aim Small

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Go with your instincts - Morrison Shawnee - you will never regret that choice!!!! My son and I have three Shawnees longbow and recurve limbs and will never part with them.
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Go with your instincts - Morrison Shawnee - you will never regret that choice!!!! My son and I have three Shawnees, longbow and recurve limbs and will never part with them.
hunt it

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Vermonster said it well, I am not looking for a silver bullet or the next bow that will give me a perfect score in any venue. I am just not a one bow person yet. I have been shooting the snot out of my Morrison, but I still wonder what else is out there and how it may shoot, look, and feel in my hand. We don't have any big Trad shoots around here, most of the Trad guys are pretty reclusive. The best way for me to do my search is to do some reseach, talk to some people and the bowyers and jsut order one and see for myself. If I don't like it or I am not comfortable with it in any way I will sell it to a guy doing to same thing I am. I do look in the used bows but there are not alot of the bows I am looking for in there alot.

Bill, I have shot the BW and it wans't for me, I know there are alot of guys that like them though.

Jeremy

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I love my Morrison Shawnees!  Dakota and arapaho limbs.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
A great way to circumvent Bob Morrisons waiting list is to pick out a riser from his web site-in my case it was an Osage Shawnee-so then I asked Bob to make me some Dakota limbs.
He made snake on the back and osage on the belly. So I got exactly what I wanted in about a month.
Don't tell him where you heard this! LOL!

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Don't overlook the Borders.  Not just gorgeous, but great shooters and as fast or faster than anything out there.  I really like the grips, too.  Sid always has a few bows in stock.  Ask for photos, make a hard choice between "beautiful" and "stunning", and you'll get it inside a week.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
A great way to circumvent Bob Morrisons waiting list is to pick out a riser from his web site-in my case it was an Osage Shawnee-so then I asked Bob to make me some Dakota limbs.
He made snake on the back and osage on the belly. So I got exactly what I wanted in about a month.
Don't tell him where you heard this! LOL!
I have done this also twice. I have been looking at his Shawnee risers and thinking about this. I could wait though and get exactly what I want. I have a few to shoot.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Hows it going buddy!  Did you get after them pigs yet?  Sounds like I found a place in NM for hogs!  Now i just need the last few thing in Durango to clear (hopefully get the job)and it will be a hop skip and a jump away.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
BH7,
You made a huge mistake w/ that Vyperkahn.You better have Chris send it to me. 66lbs @28''.I sure would hate to see your bow buying days end so just send me the Vyperkahn.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
All the above bows are excellent. I currently shoot a Bears Paw longbow made by Neil Jacobson of Lakeside Montana. His e-mail is [email protected] Neil has a fairly good turn around time and he makes a great bow. Fast, smooth, and accurate. I would recommend you check his bows out.

Best, Peter

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by wifishkiller:
Hows it going buddy!  Did you get after them pigs yet?  Sounds like I found a place in NM for hogs!  Now i just need the last few thing in Durango to clear (hopefully get the job)and it will be a hop skip and a jump away.
I was supose to go at the end of this month, but my son is shooting in the NAA nationals in NM on that weekend so I am headed there instead. The things I do for him. Maybe next year, I am game if you need someone to go with.

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by overbo:
BH7,
You made a huge mistake w/ that Vyperkahn.You better have Chris send it to me. 66lbs @28''.I sure would hate to see your bow buying days end so just send me the Vyperkahn.
Oh no, the Habu is still coming and it's all mine. Maybe my search will be done when I get it. Mine is way to light for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©