3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Successful Hunters How Do You Do It?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline ptaylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Successful Hunters How Do You Do It?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
For me the hard part was missing deer, and after trying for 3 years with nothing to show for it. I learned something after taking two nice bucks within 2 months this season. TAKE SEVERAL PRACTICE SHOTS BEFORE HEADING TO THE STAND. I shoot before going to the stand until I feel confident. This has made the world of difference for me to the point now that I will not hunt unless I have half an hour to practice before heading out. Even if it means shooting arrows at 10 yards inside under lights before the morning hunt. Be persistent and don't give up.

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
A question I have is what is your problem? Finding deer, getting close, or making the shot?  With whitetails success is kind of three-fold.  

The first is locating deer.  A lot has already been written and the only thing I might add is do your best to hunt undisturbed deer.  That means private land where few others are hunting or secluded public places.  Patterning natural deer movement is very hard to do if others are pushing them around.  If that is the case you have to discern how they react to hunting pressure and pattern them accordingly.  Tough to do.  It's much easier to pattern the natural patterns of undisturbed deer ie. bedding/feeding trails, rut sign, etc.

The second aspect of success is once locating deer being in the right place to get the job done.  Bowhunting requires that you hunt spots not areas.  A common mistake new bowhunters make is hunting areas. Okay for long range weapons but not effective for the bowhunter. Placing stands in areas may lead to seeing a lot of deer but few shot oppurtunities.  I may set a "scouting" stand in an area so I can watch and get a better idea of how deer move through the area.  Sometimes it may work out to be a good hunting stand also. But when I set a hunting stand it is in the exact spot where I expect a deer to be. I set the stand with the confidence that the deer will walk by exactly "HERE".  Of course each stand site might cover more than one specific "HERE" but setting your ambush to intercept the deer at exact spots that afford CLOSE shots at the proper shooting angle is paramount.  Set your stands for shots inside of 25 yards so you'll not only see deer but you'll have the chance to make the shot.

When you set up for close shots on undisturbed deer it is very important to leave minimal impact on the area.  Stay out of the stand until the wind is right.  Leave minimal scent behind. For me that means wearing clean rubber boots and using hang on stands with steps or climbing sticks that I take away.  When I climb my stand I touch only the steps/sticks which again I remove when I leave.  If I use a ladder stand I wear rubber gloves when I climb it.  I do my best to keep the deer undisturbed by not leaving a bunch of man scent behind.  Even then I rotate my stand sites because it is impossible to be totally inconspicuous.  That's why I never stand hunt whitetails from the ground.  I believe it is impossible to spend a significant amount of time on the ground without leaving behind a lot of scent.  The deer walks by a few hours later and smells where you have been.  They will remember and they will avoid that area in the near future. As far as what to look for in setting stands on specific spots as a rule trails leading from the bedding area to the feeding area are the easiest to scout and offer the most oppurtunities at all deer.

The third aspect is having the archery skills to deliver the goods.  Shooting is covered extensively here so the only thing I'll say is 10-15 yard shots are a whole lot easier than 25-30 yard shots which again underscores the importance of the second aspect I mentioned.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
hey scott anytime bud...i dont think them emails went through if ya tried.  if not no worries take your time!

also a great way to scout is to pretend hunt.  now especially b/c the leaves and what not are down and your visability is much greater.  Find a nice vantage point bring a climber in if ya have it and hike way the hell up in the tree.  Pack for the whole day if ya can and sit sunup to sundown and simply watch where they move to and from.  All that takes is one day to see their travel routes then simply find the trail and move along it and you can find there feeding patterns, core area, bedding area, and a whole bunch more info simply froms pending a day in the woods.  

when i use my camera i ussually face it north or south so the sun doesn't ruin the pictures but also dpending where the sun is in the sky i can tell what time of day they are moving and from what direction...i can't change the time or date so thats how i time stamp mine LOL.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
We don't  have the deer density in NH that other states have. My successes are not based on bucks but taking legal deer. I have found that the wind is important but food sources are what I key in on because that is what the deer do. Knowing what deer are feeding on and adjusting to the changes is key. I would also add that scent control is big for me as is time in the woods....patience and persistence are also big. Trail cameras are also useful tools. Finding areas, even small ones, where deer are undisturbed and you have the place to yourself is another thing I hone in on.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
In terms of whitetails I would recommend reading an inexpensive little book called Whitetail Tactics with Recurves & Longbows by Jim Hamm.

He covers a lot of what it took me many years of trial and error to learn.

If you are holding out for mature bucks that is one thing and you may may need some expert help or a new spot.

If you are not getting a chance at anything then you need adjust your tactics and methods (read up) or again find a new spot.

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
This thread is a goldmine...
While my knowledge or experience cant begin to stack up to some of these guys, I will say this;

You have got to put in the time in every aspect if you going to be consistently successful. Scouting, shooting, equipment prep, stand prep, and hunting all demand a lot of long, hard hours, and you've   got to put that time in...

Best of luck...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Used to wander all over the mountains chasing mulies, and then I read that Fred Bear was a prolific blind maker.  Bingo!  Have taken many more deer from ground blinds than by trying to stalk through noisy sage country.  I see lots of good advice here from whitetail hunters- wind, habits,habitat.  It all applies to mulies too. Just learn from your mistakes.  Every deer can teach you something.    Bow'narrow
no clue how to do this

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
Check out
67 Plants Dam Rd, East Lyme, CT
This is where I'll most likely be doing my hunting next year. I just joined this club and they let you hunt there. If you look it up on google maps or google earth youll see three major openings. On the far right there is a long skinny one which is a 200yd rifle range, to the left of that there is a square opening which is a skeet field, then to the left of that there is another  skinny opening which is the archery practice area. To the north of the skeet field there is another opening which is the club house. There is a 30 acre parcel across the street which is open to hunting as well. Deer and turkeys have run across the rifle range(even when people are shooting) and are seen often in the archery practice area. Thanks for all the help guys-Scott
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Lots of scouting all year long and persistance. Did I mention LOTS of scouting,LOL! Glassing from a distance is good to help you understand what the deer are doing, but putting miles on your boots, all year long, will help you get there.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Those topo maps didn't show up like I hoped they would. This weekend I'm going for a walk to get a feel for the land whish we had some snow. Time to get serious and put my time in. I've learned alot from this post and you guys have given me hope and confidence for the new year. Tradgang is the best-Scott   :archer:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
From the ground...  :thumbsup:    ;)
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
Scott, find your area on google maps and try to center it and enlarge it as best you can.  Then copy and paste the link.  That will give us the best view.

Anyway, I'm not expert, but trails/funnels are key for me.  Food sources change and deer get pushed around, but travel corridors stay active all year long.  Watch the wind and put your butt in the tree... good luck.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
I have filled a deer tag every year (most years my limit)for the past 30 years. Our season ended Dec 31st but guess where I spent most of the day TODAY? that's right...IN THE WOODS. Scouting and patience is a priority, knowledge of the area you hunt is a MUST. I saw more deer and black bear sign today than you could ever imagine. I was blessed this past fall with LOADS of acorns and the deer and bear are still rooting the leaves for them. My advice, 'for what it's worth'....learn the area you hunt. Know where the food sources are. Know where they bed AND, know where they seek refuge when they are pressured. And, you want to learn buck sign and body language. Learn why you see the little deer alone all the sudden or why a doe walks by with her tail sticking straight out. This thread is priceless and everyone here has offered great advice. I wish you the best of luck. NOW, get out there and do some scouting.

best afield

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I was out scouting today as well and found this guy's tree stand 100ft up in a tree, well maybe not that high, but it gave me a nose bleed just looking at it.

Now is the time to look for deer sign in the areas that you hunt.

You need to find the sign then plan the hunt...

Danny? Is that you way up there? LOL.  :biglaugh:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »

Here's the link for google maps.
Thanks for all the solid advice can't wait to get out there.-Scott

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Scott E. I have had the same trouble and have wanted to ask this same question. I read alot about hunting techniques, watch the videos, talk to any experienced bowhunter I can. I've been to a "camp" to help learn what to do. I would love to go to Mr. Wensel's camp. I would love to have some one look at my hunting area and give me some advice and teach me the why's behind the advice. I've heard that the best way to learn is with a mentor, but that ain't always possible. If you can get that topo map on here and give all the particulars about your area, hopefully some one can get enough info to help you. One thing I want to suggest is practicing a doe bleat with your mouth while out in the woods. If I had used this while hunting this last season, I may have taken the one buck that I had a shot at. You other hunters please tell me if you think this is ok advice, but I have been practicing a doe bleat while on stand a time or two each time out. It gives me more confidence to try it if deer show up. The sound is usually too soft and squeeking the first time because I've so ingrained the "you must be quiet" thinking.
If anyone wouldn't mind helping ME. I will provide maps and info. You can pm me.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
scott check your email bud ya got some stuff

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
The more you hunt, the more you learn.  Pay attention to details, and figure out why you saw deer where you did if they weren't in bow range, and don't be afraid to move if you don't.

Sign, Sign, Sign.........gotta find and hunt sign...fresh sign.....travel corridors/funnels, terrain transition areas and corners.  Find what they are eating, and know what they are going to eat next when the source they are gorging on now is replenished.  Find out where they browse as well, and where they stage before dark and mill around.

And I've heard nothing but praises about Barry's Boot Camp.  Thanks for posting Barry.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Like others, I highly recommend Barry's boot camp (I hope to attend it sometime).  If you can't afford or do not have the time to attend the camp buy, read, then study, Genes Wensels book come November.  If you follow his advice you will get into deer on a regular basis.  Just remember Gene's and Barry's number one rule "Where you hunt is a lot more important then how you hunt..." and everything else takes care of itself, if you follow their advice.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©