3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flemish String Question  (Read 460 times)

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Flemish String Question
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I have been making them for about 20 years. I was taught when making a triple flemish, (red, white, & blue) you match the colors up after you make the loop...ie the short red with the long red and so on. While reading a artical in a traditional magazine, they said to miss match the colors when twisting them together....So you make the loop, then join the rd short end with a blue long end.  Does this sound right?  I have always matched the colors up when twisting after the loop.  I hope I explained this right....Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish String Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
You can do it either way--I prefer to match the colors--seems to make a better transition at the base of the loop.  Makes even less difference with a 2-bundle.

Chad

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll keep matching the colors.......Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I noticed very little change in the transitioning if you mismatch them but once you twist them up that point becomes miniscule , I think mostly its a visual thing.  If you match them up your colors through transition stay the same, opposed to mis-matching them will give you a different visual effect.  I've done them both ways and haven't seen a difference performance wise.  Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
I have just strated to mismatch and kinda like the look, I reallt don't think it will make any difference to the string

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I twisted up a couple three-bundle strings and mis-matched the outer two bundles by putting an extra half-twist on the working end.  I wanted to see whether it would change the way the bottom of the eye looked.

I can't say it changed it much, but I can say that the two mixed-color bundles were confusing the first time out!  They did give a nice effect in the plait, though...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©