3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder bags revisted  (Read 799 times)

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder bags revisted
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
Several weeks ago there was a topic about shoulder bags, men's over the shoulder bags used to carry needed items into the field.  I am trying to simplify my hunting life and after this past season of bulging pockets, fanny packs sliding down over the rear when you are in a hurry, chocking from strings hanging around my neck, items rattling with every step, forgetting items left in the truck (shooting glove), just a generally unorganized feeling I would like to revisit this information.  While hunting I ran into two bow hunters on seperate occasions wearing an over the shoulder type of bag and they seemed organized.  So once again can we view these bags from the ones that use them?  I want to simplify and organize.
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Online John R. Graves

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder bags revisted
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
I'm with ya', I've been considering using my muzzleloader possibles bag.  I think it has enough room to carry everything I need, except water.  I'll just wear it under my camelback.

John

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
There was a reply before about gov't issue type shoulder bags selling on that auction site for about $9 plus about $9 shipping.  Don't waste your money.  I got one and the thing is falling apart after only a couple hours of use.  Plus the auxillary pockets are only big enough for a pack of gum or a small pocket knife.  Pretty much useless.  You get what ya pay for, I guess. ronp
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
I would recommend the Filson Small Field bag if your budget isn't to tight. I bought one 16 years ago and it has been abused beyond belief. It is still as good as the day I bought it. The toughest piece of equipment I own.
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
i went to an army surplus store and bought a bag that army medics use, it is an over the shoulder type of bag and i like it alot and don't seem to forget much of the stuff i want to remember.

i have a bow quiver that takes care of my arrows

i place my tab in one the the arrow groves and place an arrow over it to secure it until i need it, my dad velcro's his shooting glove to the riser of his bow

i have a video camera, water, digital camera, grunt tube, knife, clippers, head net, gloves, varmit call in my bag and some things i will add before a special hunt, ie  cold weather gloves, thermacell, wool hats

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
I kind of like the catquiver,with the pack on it.   :campfire:

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
Duluth pack makes a nice "man purse"   ;)   I have 3 of them.  They are called a shell bag. Works great as a possibles bag, fishing tackle bag or field bag for archery hunting.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
type in the word "haversack" on goggle. i carry one and it really does simplify things, of course my wife calls it my pocketbook!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Ronp thanks on the update of the poor quality of army surplus.  Dirty Bill I have a cat quiver but am going to a side quiver with a bag.  I found the shoulder bag topic that was posted before.  What size do you really need?  The two that I saw seemed larger and were both made of green canvas material.  Seemed to hold water and anything else they wanted to carry.  I just haven't found the right bag yet.  Thanks for all the info.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Killdeer posted a pic of a quiver/possibles bag that looked pretty nice! And a catquiver looks pretty handy.

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Just checked the Duluth and Filson.  Pricy but nice.  Like the large filson field bag but without the brass buckles.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Maybe a kit to build one? Does anyone know if Wyandotte builds one?

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
I have used a possibles bag for years without telling a soul. Guess I should come out of the closet now. I have found no better way to carry your neccessary items when in the woods. The old mountain men knew what they were doing and they weren't sissies either.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Chech out gameplangear.com and look at the spot and stalk. I used one this year and it is pretty handy anf comfy as well.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
The last time this topic came up got me inspired. Killy put up a pic of a nice bag/quiver thing, and I saw the one sold by one of the bag makers. Well you know how it is, steal an idea here and there and you end up with this.

A local doctor had ordered a new office chair thinking it was in black leather but when he got it , it was brown leather. So he paid me to recover a new chair  and I salvaged the leather from it. From that came the bag and the quiver was made up from some thicker leather I keep around for knife sheaths and such.
 I've hunted with muzzleloaders so long that NOT having a bag over my shoulder feels odd so this should fill the bill. Plenty of room  inside. A hunting knife is inside the bag in it's own sheath as well as gloves, shooting glove, armguard, fire kit,notebook and pencil, hotmelt glue and lighter to repair field points and broadheads, sharpener, and waterproofing  compound (rendered deer tallow). Still plenty of room for many more things.It will see duty for now on the 3D range but come next season should work OK.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline GreenJeans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm with you flinttim except I like a smaller bag.  Makes me take what I need instead of a whole lot that I don't.

Remember--Some People are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Some people can paint the Sistine chapel, some people can finger-paint, and some people just eat the Crayons....

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I started using Army surplus shoulder satchels 20 years ago for fishing.  I have a several, one for bowhunting (just the right size and with perfect pockets for flashlight, drag rope, knife, pruning snips, grunt call, and my Nif-T-seat), one for fishing (holds a small flat tacklebox perfectly), and one for flintlocks.  I've tried fanny packs, but don't like them, and backpacks are often too big.  The nice thing with shoulder satchels is that they're less cumbersome and everything you might want is right at your fingertips.  No wrenching fanny packs around to the front (and having them drag your pants down), and no taking off backpacks (or having them snag on limbs).  Just lift the flap at your side for easy access.

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
I just bought a bandolaro style bag from wally world. for $15. Lots of small pouches.  I can wear it across one shoulder and my quiver over the other.  It have worked better than I could dream.  There was a company selling that style thru some big outdoor TV shows.
capt eddie

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I have a wool hunting bag made by Gray Wolf Woolens. I can take a few photos of it tomorrow evening if you would like. Jeff at Gray Wolf deemed it "Mike's man purse"! It is very handy and it is all I used this deer season. My is Predator Brown, but he will make it in any pattern/color of wool he stocks. I/ll pm you a photo tomorrow........Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©