3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Wesley.....  (Read 786 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob Wesley.....
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Last year during our 3-D season, my wife who is a nurse, was working weekends.  Most weekends left me babysitting our two small children one is 4 and the other is 5, both girls. Every now and then I could find a babysitter and would slip out to one of our local shoots. Well this particular weekend I could not find a sitter, grandma and grandpa were busy and I had exhausted all my options. I really wanted to go to the Sissaphaw Traditional archers shoot that was held this particular Saturday. This is the only "traditional only" shoot that is in my area, so I really wanted to try to make it. I figured what the heck, I will just load up the girls, head down there just to check things out. Couldn't hurt right???? Wrong.......

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Wesley.....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
To make a long long story short my little kids were....well.... acting like little kids. You other parents know what I am talking about. So all my friends were preparing to go out on the course and I just didn't feel like they wanted to be distracted by my rug rats, so I stayed back. After everyone left for the course I took the girls over to a pick nick table and broke out some juice boxes and snacks and let them have at it. I was sitting there a little bummed out when this older gentleman comes up and sits down beside me. He introduces hiself as Bob and strikes up a conservation. He asked me if I was planning to shoot. I explained to him my situation, and that I didnt want to take the girls out on the course for fear that they would distract all the other guys. To my astonishment he invited me out on the course, kids and all. My little girls took right to this guy, he was asking them questions and they were giving him answers, in that shy kid kind of way. So out we went to the course.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
and.....how did yall shoot!   :goldtooth:  did he shoot that Hill bow?  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
As we went from target to target, he would watch the girls when I shot and I would watch them when he shot. We stopped and rested after every 2 or three targets. He got tired quickly but I didn't mind, my girls wanted to stop too. Explained to me that he had just started back shooting regularly since he had an operation to remove some prostrate cancer. Somewhere about target number 7 or 8 Howard Hills name came up. He told me that he had been a good friend of Howard Hill. I said oh really??? The Howard Hill? Longbow king of the world Howard Hill? He said yes. Well after that it was on. I asked him every question I could think of from there to the end of the course. And man could he tell a good story. We got to the end of the course and he picked 2 wild flowers and one each two the girls. We said our good byes and went our separate ways. It turned out to be a very good day even after the rocky start.....

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
It wasn't until today, that I realized who this guy really was. It was Bob Wesley. The Bob Wesley that one of the Howard Hill longbows are named after. I was surfing around today and came across a story about Bob Wesley and Howard Hill. It had 2 pictures attached, one old and one new. The new one showed a picture of Bob Wesley holding one of Howard Hills bows. When I saw that picture I realized that the guy I shot with that day was Bob Wesley. Hows that for a story to tell your Grand kids. Best thing is.....My girls got to share it with me.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by bayoulongbowman:
and.....how did yall shoot!    :goldtooth:   did he shoot that Hill bow?   :)  
He shot pretty good. Come to think of it he was shooing a light poundage Howard Hill bow.  :D   He was just like a regular old guy, except he could tell a story better than most and he knew THE HOWARD HILL - .  :biglaugh:

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Very nice story.    Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
that is why every one who has one of his bows just loves em cause he is so nice!!!  My wife and I went to his longbow school years ago when he lived in Miss. his wife and him are old school nice people.  and good shots too!!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Bob is a true Southern Gentleman. This picture is when he won the Howard Hill Longbow shoot in 1982

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm still kicking myself. I was at that shoot too and did not get to meet him. I was one of the only other guys there shooting a HH too. I hope to get another chance this coming season.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Thats pretty sweet Ron! Thanks for posting that. Did you and Bob get to shoot in the same group that weekend? Tell us the story!

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Bob is a really nice guy - its a real pleasure and honor having him at our Sissipahaw shoots.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I too have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wesley and shooting a round of 3-D with him at Sissipahaw.  He is a true GENTLEMAN, and CHRISTIAN.  That day he was shooting a (guess what) HH Wesley Special at about 45 lbs. (if I remember correctly.)  On thing I won't forget... that man could shoot that bow.  It was also the quietest bow that I have ever been around.  Sorry to hear he has been sick.  Glad he's up and feeling better.  Mr. Wesley; if you read this, May GOD bless you.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
I was privileged to go to Bob's shooting school, Whisperin' Pines, this past October.    I did a web page on the experience.  Here is a condensed url to it:

http://tinyurl.com/2qjrql

It was a wonderful experience.  Bob and his wife were gracious hosts and great people.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Bob is a Christian and doesn't hide the fact! He has a little fish sign on his quiver. I haven't seen him in several years but the last time I noticed he was useing a HH WS 45#. He also handled it well.You will be hard pressed to find a better person. I pray that his medical problems go away.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Mr Wesley is top notch. I introduced him to Bernie at sissispaw. It was fun listening to them swap stories. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I've never met the gentleman, but an article of his in LONGBOWS AND RECURVES set me on a practice regimen that improve my league average score by about 25% !!!!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Bob , wrote many articles in Instinctive Archer Magazine as I recall. There was alot on hunting and Indirect aiming and grooving your shot in! A very good read. Bob , sent me a tape of his shooting ...Mr. Bob if ya read this God Bless you too. Many thanks ...Mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Great story for sure.The chance of a lifetime and a memory you will surely never forget.

Offline Derrick Tynes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
That is awesome. Bob is originally from Poplarville, MS.  I was born and raised in this town, and when I started shooting a recurve as a teenager, he helped me out a great deal.  No one in my family shot bows, and at first I was having a hard go at it.  My dad knew Bob and suggested that I give him a call.  
Well Bob kind of took me in under his wing and taught me a great deal about shoting.  I thought this was great, because he was charging for his lessons, and I got them for free.  He is one of the finest men I have ever met, and all the time he spent with me will never be forgotten.   Derrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©