3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who did NOT kill a deer this year?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who did NOT kill a deer this year?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I  "[dntthnk]"
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline mshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm with you Jon, was a little selective early on and then missed a 150s at 12 steps from the ground.  That has been my only shot at a deer this season.  I am heading down to Siloam Springs on Friday morning for the UBI end of season hunt but there's usually not many deer killed at that, just a lot of talk about killing deer.
Is that MY arrow.....

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm in, but I am off work the 12th-16th, so I plan on hitting it hard. Hap

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Our bow season ended Sunday.  I can't say as I struck out.  I did pass on several does and three bucks, one a fairly nice 8 point.  Saw 5 more nice 8-points, and got close to three of them, and came oh so close on a beautiful 10-point, but no cigar/shots.  

I started hunting big or at least mature bucks quite a few years ago.  Since we're only allowed one buck on our archery tag, that means I have to pass up the smaller ones.  It also means that I sometimes eat tag soup.  But the challenge is in the hunt, not the killing.  Holding out for a mature deer enables me to spend a lot more time in the woods, this year, to the last day.  Despite the fact that I didn't kill a deer, this was one of the best deer seasons I've had.  Of course, it didn't hurt that I already had a Wyoming elk in the freezer.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
:wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
I didn't kill the big one even though he was 7 yards away. Does that count?
Did you mmmmmiss?

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim Fishell:
Yup!!  I struck out as well.  This was my 14th season hunting and still no bow kills for me.  Maybe 2008 will be my year.  Our season ended the 1st of January!!
Do you pass up everything waiting for a giant buck? 14 seasons is a long dry spell..   :rolleyes:    :campfire:

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
I was probably to selective, I passed on about 5, but I do have deer meat in the freezer.  I was given a gift, of a whole deer !  And another 80 acres in addition to the 47 I hunt now for next year.

God is good

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I am this group too... aren't we all better for the experience 8^)

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
No meat for the freezer here, but I didn't miss any shots.   :cool:   The only good shot opportunity I had was three weeks ago at a big six pointer that came waltzing up the trail and caught me off guard at ten yards.  I had just laid down my camera when he showed up.

The land I hunt was under 10-12 feet (yes, feet   :scared:   ) of water last July(Neosho River bottoms).  Worst flooding since 1953.  Really made an difference on the deer numbers.

Dennis

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
"[dntthnk]"

Offline JD Pope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I plead the 5th! Lots of close encounters, and yes a few misses. I paid the price for not diligently practicing this year. My new years resolution is to hit the bales more so meat will hit the ground again.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I didnt get one either. The land I hunt is buck only, and I saw several, but only had one barely antlered dude with in range. Season is done here, but I have a lead on an apple orchard owner with nuisance permits....Im hopeful.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Well nothing with the bow, got a nice fat doe with the muzzleloader but so far nothing with the bow still have a couple of weeks left but things are slow here. After three and a half months of hunting season the deer are slightly nervous to say the least.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Add me to the list. It was a very frustrating season. The warm weather early on kept the deer in the open areas, not the woods where I hunt. I passed on a bunch of 1 1/2 year-olds and some fat doe fawns. I saw some nice bucks but never got a shot opportunity at them, so I kept passing on the small bucks. The only shot I had at a mature doe failed when my arrow hit the bottom of a pencil-thin limb I didn't see before the shot.

Our season ends on Thursday, but I won't have a chance to hunt again this week, so it's over for me.

Still, even though I came up empty, I wouldn't trade the time in the woods for a freezer full of meat.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Kept up the tradition of not even getting a shot! 8-)  21 years now, but  who's counting.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Stuck out with the bow. Had a couple of shots at Does, but they had young fawns with them, so I let them pass. I tend to do that on Public land. I guess I think that will keep the population going or something..........

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
No deer this year.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
ripped a big hole in my leg on a barbed wire fence-only blood drawn
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I think I won this one, two trip's to Montana for a total of three weeks. Seen plenty,never got to arch my bow for a shot. Made a nice stalk on a 6x5 but to many eye's with him messed that up. Hunted at home in Michigan and again never arched the bow for a shot. Let one small doe pass and one button buck walked by at 5 yards pass. First time in ten years no venison in the freezer. I am not upset though, the reason I hunt is becuase I like to be where the animals are. Already looking forward to spring for Turkey's and may go to Tennesee for a hog hunt.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©