3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me getting heavier wood arrows  (Read 392 times)

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me getting heavier wood arrows
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I am thinking about taking a lighter bow than usual to go and hunt bear.  I usually shooot about 58-60# with a total weight arrow of 525 grain using a 125 Magnus.  If I drop to 53# and look to increasing the weight of a 28" arrow where do I go to get them and what am I looking for?

Steve

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Help me getting heavier wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Why are you dropping down in weight if 58-60# is your usual bow weight?  Regardless, see how the same arrow shoots out of the lighter bow.  I often get good results by overspining by 10# or more.  If the arrow shoots well, use it.  Will be going a little slower, but will still get the job done.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
ash, allegany is where I'd start now that silent pond is out of buis.

Barrel tapereds should get you in the ball park...obviously single tapers will be a bit cheaper and weigh a bit more.   The way I look at it, they use the best of the best to barrel taper, plus they are heavy, mid 600's is the norm....atleast for my past experience shooting them

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, I have a very comfortable Stewart at that weight and was thinking about using it since I shot it well enough to kill a whitetail this fall.  In view of the lower weight and in respect for that I wanted to consider a heavier arrow to improve penetration

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Well, I have a very comfortable Stewart at that weight and was thinking about using it since I shot it well enough to kill a whitetail this fall.  In view of the lower weight and in respect for that I wanted to consider a heavier arrow to improve penetration

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Add a wood shaft adapter to the arrow and it wiwill lower the spine.  Then add a weithed BH adapter to get the inished weight you like.  The minimun increase in weight will be 90 grains. and lower spine 5 to 10lbs
capt eddie

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Steven, going up in point weight to something like a 190 Grizzly on your 58-60 lb bow arrows will get you around 590 gr and an arrow may well shoot well from your 53 lb bow plus lots of FOC.  What arrows are you currently shooting from the 53 lb bow?

As for a heavy shaft material, I'm kinda fond of the laminated birch from Allegheny.  Whispering Wind can probably set you up with some fairly heavy hex pines, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Steven,

I shoot a Caribow Featherhorn at 53#.  I used laminated birch shafts for an elk hunt this fall.  I had 26" BOP arrows that were in excess of 600gr.  Got a complete pass though on a bull at 22 yrds.  I used O.L. Adcock's bare shaft tuning method to arrive at my final build.

Howard

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
Take a look at Arrow Dinamics.You can find them on the sponsers link.The traditional is 10 grns/in. carbon. They shoot awsome and you can shoot the same saft in all your bows wts.you posted.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©