3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for recurve advice - new to this traditional thing  (Read 336 times)

Offline elkshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for recurve advice - new to this traditional thing
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this traditional thing after being a "compound" guy since I was 13(I'm almost 40 so it's been a long time).  I've enjoyed hunting with my compound and will continue to do so, but I'm interested in getting a "plinker" recurve.

I shoot about 64 lbs on my Hoyt and I know I'll have to cut that back significantly on a recurve - thinking around 50 lbs and I'm a lefty so that always seems to limit choices.

I would like to try to keep my recurve purchase in the $150 range if possible.   :)  

I also want to get my 2 boys who are 6 and 7 bows.

So, 2 questions...

1. What brand/model recurve would you experienced guys recommend for me?

2. Any recommendations for my boys - they have both shot a 15 lb bow at a local range and liked it and now want their own.  What are your thoughts on a takedown recurve so I can upgrade the limbs over time - or is that not a good idea.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Also, as I mentioned, I've been an elk bowhunter for a number of years and would be happy to share any ideas, etc for those of you heading to Colorado.

Scott

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for recurve advice - new to this traditional thing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
Scott if you are buying just a plinker I would suggest going even lower in poundage when I switched over from a compound I went from a 65 pound martin Jauguar to a 55 pound longbow and the long bow was way too much for me to learn proper form and actually set back my learning curve I would suggest you start with something in the 40-45 pound range I just took a look at the classifeids here and there are several good used LH bows there in that wieght range. any bow from a reputable maker would make a excellent starter bow I personally would opt for a checkmate as they make a excellent bow for a reasonable price (we have 4 and I gave my brother one). As far as a takedown is concerned it will cost you more and limbs can be expensive (limbs for my Martin Hatfield takedown start at $350) For your boys I would reccomend either the mad dog pup bows or my kids shoot blak rhino bows either are excellent quality and will give your boys years of enjoyment hope this helps Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
I'd have to agree with the Chek mate option. They're more than 150 but you might be able to get a used one. I have a 41lb Kings Pawn Deluxe and I see no reason to "upgrade" . Smooth shotting and my form has greatly improved.

Like Stykbow said stick to 40-45 lbs and you will be well served. You too might not need to "upgrade".  Have fun
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Scott,
What part of Colorado do you live in?
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
For your target price consider some of the older Bears, Pearsons and such. They can be had quite often for even less in low weights.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
I would stay about 40 lbs. at first.If you decide to spend a little more for a takedown you should take a look at the Quinn bows also.They are very good metal riser bows under $270 and extra limbs are inexpensive.

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
Lamont Granger at The Footed Shaft has a selection of used bows. You can send $1.50 and he will send you a list in the mail. He has a classified ad in TBM. You can also talk to him and tell him what you are looking for. He is honest and reliable and will give you straight talk on what he has that might suit your needs. He often has bows under $2oo.00 and  will not sell you a junk bow. **** can be a bit risky,if you are not familiar with the bows.-Dave

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
1) shoot every bow you can get your hands on...you will definately find some or one that you prefer above all others for whatever reasons.

2) Another vote here for Quinn: best entry level bow out there in my opinion.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Just cruise the classifieds on here and buy a lefty in a manageable weight that's in your price range. Don't worry about one piece or take down. Chances are you will be buying and trying for a while before you get serious about your favorite. Have a blast!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©