3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008  (Read 8649 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
No kill pics yet.Yesterday was the first day out.These guys were bedded about 50-60 yards from the blind.My tag is for a doe.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Another shot from the blind.

Offline Milhouse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
Sept 5 2008 doe.  Kota Prairie Nomad, 51# @ 28", Magnus Stinger 150 grain 4 blade on a Beman ICS Classic Woodgrain shaft.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
No kill pic just a few pics from an afternoon in elk country.  While eating lunch on the hillside I thought I would snap a few to share.  I always enjoy others photos so here are a few from Tue afternoon.

My lunch spot

My afternoon sit, a hot wallow, I saw elk in this area in the morning.

There is a blue grouse in there.

My weapon of mass destruction.

I didn't have any action that afternoon but any day out in this country is a good day.

Hope you enjoy them and good luck to all this fall.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ak3blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
I know that this isn't a bow hunt, but I am very happy and proud of my wife's first harvest. She is thinking of taking up the traditional bow hunting gear...I sure hope that she chooses the recurve bow.

(((((Sorry bud, but non trad kill pix aren't allowed. Been that way since day one. Congrats to your wife!))))

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Nice Pic's, They are all Great.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
ak3blade,
Good for your wife!  A hunter of any strip is welcome in my book.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Very nice pics. Congrats. to all.  Great buck, TJ!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »

My son and I on recent bear hunt in Thunder Bay Ont. Plan was for my son to take his first big game with his longbow. First night on stand he had a shot at a good sized bear but shot just over. Second day we had one good bear make a quick appearance in the early afternoon but Gray was not comfortable with the one quick and only chance presented so that one walked. That same night we had two bears come in at last light. Gray was not comfortable with the low light shot so he said you shoot em. The 800gr grizzly stick - 300 extreme combination did the job. Bear ran about 80yrds and piled up. Gray will try again next year.
hunt it

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »
Congrats again Dave....Gray couldn't ask for a better mentor. Way to go Dad    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bearbowfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
nice bear
always wanted to hunt them with a bow

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
And your bow is.......?

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
hello everybody, yersterday was the general opening day il french South-Alp. No mouflon or chamois for me but i was lucky enough to put a good arrow and get this female roe deer

arrow : 29 inches carbon express / grizzly broadhead 125 grs + 75 grs adaptator + 75 grs insert / recurve bow 52 pounds
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
j yenney

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
My bear from the Whitshell Provincial park in Manitoba. The story can be found at.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=064618

"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
I just got back from my Utah elk hunt and want to share it with all of you.
After applying for the limited entry Utah elk hunt for 12 years I finally drew a tag. This is truly a trophy hunt as Utah has done a good job of managing their elk herd. The tag I drew is one of the most sought after tags in the country.
 Since this would the best chance I will ever have to hunt trophy elk I wanted to give it my best shot. I got together with fellow Proffesional Bowhunter Society member and traditional bowhunter Aram Barsch(pronounced: r am). He operates Wolf Hollow Outfitters. He would be my guide for a twelve day hunt on Boulder Mnt. in south central Utah. Our hunt would be on foot in the nine to ten thousand feet of elevation range. Aram knows this country like the back of  his hand and is gifted with a fantastic sense of direction. On any given day we would cover at least seven miles and often more than ten. I can't begin to to tell you what a joy Aram was to hunt with.
Main camp was at 8800ft. and was about one quarter mile off of the main paved road making it easy to access, but yet very private. Main camp consisted of a couple wall tents for guides and hunters, another tent for the ladies, and a very complete outdoor kitchen. Aram also had a spike camp set up three and a half miles up the mountain from the main camp. We used this camp twice which saved us a lot of walking and got us back into the elk early in the morning.
On any given day we would get into at least two to three different bulls(5x5 or better) and often more. Hunting methods consisted of calling(cow call and bugling), stalking, ambush, and just plain bumping into them.
Although we had seen many bulls I didn't get my first shot until late on day nine. It had rained in the afternoon making stalking easier. In the evening we located a couple bulls that were bugling about two hundred feet above us on a bench. After the thermals changed direction and were going down hill it made it possible and surprisingly easy to stalk them in the low light. I managed to miss both of them(6x6s) on steep up hill shots. Those shots will forever haunt me. Oh well, I had my chance, and two good ones at that. We went back to main camp that night intending to hunt close to camp in the morning then regroup and go after those bulls again in the evening since I hadn't spooked them too bad. We hunted across the road the next morning. Aram drove in on a logging road about a mile, and then we walked in a couple more stopping to cow call and listen occasionally. It was a very quiet morning, not one bull had bugled. finally about 8:30 we stopped on a high spot I think mostly to enjoy the view and cow called again. After a few minutes with out a response I took off my pack and pulled out my bag of TP and went up hill to find a private place. No sooner had I found it, Aram came running up, told me to grab my bow, a bull was coming fast. The bull was about two hundred yards down hill from us to the south. I quickly moved down hill a bit and found a spot on the north side of a pine tree about eight feet in diameter. Aram took up a spot up hill and north, north west of me to pull the bull past me.The bull continued to come with a little coaxing from Aram. When he was about forty yards down hill I could see him through the tree and now Aram could no longer see him but he could see me. I readied for the shot by crouching down and getting my bow up and in front of me so all I would have to do was draw and release in one easy motion. When the bull cleared the tree he was down hill about twenty yards away angling towards me. He spotted me and looked right at me, the stand off began. After nearly a minute he forgot about the cow and turned and made a loop away from me and back to where he came from. When he was facing away from me I rose up a bit and moved to my right in case he would give me a shot before he left. Seeing me move like that Aram thought it might be a good time to call again and that stopped the bull now about thirty yards out but facing straight away. Aram called again and now the bull turned to his left giving me the opportunity I was waiting for. I quickly picked a spot, drew and sent the arrow on it's way. The arrow penetrated to the fletching. I hit him high behind the liver with the broadhead angling down and forward into the center of the chest cavity. Two steps and he was gone.
After a good half hour we took up the track. Blood was sparse, but thanks to the rain the day before we could follow his tracks in the dirt. He went down hill in a fairly straight line plowing through the oak brush. Three hundred yards from the shot we found him in the oak brush. He is basically a 5x5 with an extra point on the right side. After many pictures Aram made quick work of skinning, quartering, deboning, removing the head and hanging all of the bagged meat in the shade to cool. That all took only a bit more than an hour and a half.
All in all I could not have asked for a better hunt. I saw many big bulls and lots of elk(over seventy five on day three alone), got to hunt for ten days in some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen, had chances at big bulls, got a nice one, and met many fine people I now consider friends.
On a side note, I used my homemade recurve and aluminum arrows with Woodsman broadheads.      
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Greg congrats on a great elk. Looks like he was worth the 12 year wait.

bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
It was a nice evening in the woods... On a GA WMA, I decided to ease in the backside of a 150 yd wide oak bottom that has a couple crabapples and persimmon on the field side and grown up cutover on the other side...

I got about 50 yds from the biggest crabapple, picked a nice wide oak with another oak about 3 yds in front of it for some cover... right near the bottom, but still on the slope. I turned to the east to avoid the sun, started scraping some leaves away from the base of the tree and enough room to ease to either side of the tree... I got out thermacell and checked the watch 6:15 p.m., just about the right time to be in place for the evening earlybirds... Grabbed the torges tree seat  (padded of course..)  and slipped it around the tree...

I sat there watching the squirrels and was thinking that this one fox squirrel with a black head and silver patch forming a nice prominent V on his forehead would really make a kewl mount...   but then I thought that since I only had broadheads... it wouldn't be a very good mount... About 30 minutes into my vigil, I hear something over my left shoulder... I force my self to turn my head ever so slowly and see a lil buck with about a 12 in spread and only 2-3 pts over an inch ease under an oak and begin to scour for acorns,,, I look further up the other slope and see a lil 3 pt working his way down to join him... Its going to be a good day... But since this mgmt area has a 4pts on one side with a min 15 inch spread these boys were safe... next year may be another story...

The lil guys mill around grabbing some acorns, check the muscadines about 18 yds away which seem to be about gone and they slowly begin to ease away working their way down the bottom... I am happy for the experience and pause to say a lil prayer of thanks... The squirrels begin in earnest now as the sun begins to set, some chatering, two over that way playing chase and others content to cut on hickory nuts...

About 15 minutes after sunset, I hear the unmistakable shuffle that says something bigger than a squirrel, but think to myself... probably a dilla... Ease my eyes to the left and see a doe walking right bye the muscadines and another bout 15-20 yds behind.. I slowly stand when shes 30 yds out as she's headed down a trail that comes to about 8yds in front of me and then continues on to the crabapples. I ease to the right side of the oak in front of me but allow enough room to draw. A quick peek shows no bone on the head of this lil gal, and bout the perfect size to make the 600 yd walk uphill back to the truck bearable- Green Light as soon as she is shielded by the popular tree out in front of me I'll draw and pick a spot as she emerges.. There she goes, back comes the string, I settle and focus on the spot tight behind the leg as I don't have much luck stopping a deer while hunting from the ground- arrows away... The arrows sails and the deer bolts for about 15 yds and then begins to walk... No thwack thunck or anything... No sound of the arrow skipping along the ground through the leaves... what happened? There she is, but her tail is up. _Good Hit! Doe no 2 is almost in position as I find another arrow on the string and slight tension as I ready to draw again... I think to myself WOW- how did that arrow get there? Just as doe no 2 begins to enter my zome of death, doe no 1 falls over and gives its life up begrudgingly with just a couple of kicks of the leaves. Doe2, stops and then spins a 180 degrees and darts 20 yds back up the trail... She blows, yet stays scanning the forest floor for doe 1. I pause but slowly shift to the otherside of the tree waiting to see if she offers me a shot... The second shot never materializes.. yet she works her way behind me looking for doe 1.

At this point I gives thanks for such a bountiful day afield and for the venison my family so loves. The seal of this season is cracked and the its time to gather up my things and break out the trailing light...  I saw her go down, but go to where she was standing and find my arrow stuck into the ground and examine the blood and sign... It's an easy trail and I follow it the 25 yds to find my deer. Its smaller than I would have liked, but I know how much the family will enjoy the tender cuts on the plate, in the bowl, and how each deer is truly a gift. As I pull her from under the brush, I notice it's not a she, but a he... I feel a dull ache.. down inside... but know to accept it with joy... However, I wish I would have looked harder and let him pass and grow, and taken his momma instead.
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Great story, sorry you got a BB, but it is still a gift from the Creator. The Great Spirit gave you the deer, Knowing You & Your family will use it well.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Offline Negissimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
My cousin shot this bull a few days ago with a Pronghorn longbow. I deleted his face because I don't know if he would like it to be on here, but I wanted to share this magnificent bull.

OTC, Colorado.

>>--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©