3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Ark.Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Doug, Congratulations, those goats have got to be north america's greatest trophy.  Job well done.  Buck

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
congratulation DOUG S !!!!!!!!! fantastic !!!
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »

October 4th was our opener for bow season. It was the first time out hunting deer with my Green Mountain longbow that I picked up this past winter. I had hung this stand on an oak ridge a month ago after finding lots of acorns and a nice trail. Around 7 am, this guy came in, and it seemed like he was on a mission. To fill his belly. He didn't stick to the trail but came in straight to my tree. I thought he was going to my left and I started to adjust my position. Just as quickly he turned to go across in front of me. He was only about 15 feet from my tree and I was worried about him catching my wind which, true to Vermont form, had changed in a bad direction. So I took the first good shot I had, a steep angling shot into the top of his right side angling to his left side. It was a good hit but I only got about 12" of penetration. As he was running off I immediately started to worry that it would be a tough trailing job because I knew I had no bottom hole. Very quickly he ran over a small rise and I heard him pile up. It was a good sound. While waiting my 25 minutes, doubts crept into my mind again. Did I really hear him go down? Would I find him w/out a good bloodtrail? Did the other deer that was with him and never saw till after the shot make the crashing noises? After I got down, I did a quick ground search and as I figured, no blood. I very quietly sneeked up and looked over the rise and there he was, not 45 yards away from where I shot him. What relief! I walked up to him and was amazed at the size of him. We have a 3 point rule in VT and I gave him a quick look to make sure he qualified, but I never new he had 8 points when I shot him. Of course I only got 2 field photos of him before my camera battery died so I had to take pictures of him later. This is one of them.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Great shot Greg. Those steep shots always leave me a bit worried too.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Pa opener was one of the best and one of the worst for me. I started the morning off deep into the Tioga State Forest on a flat of oaks that the deer have been hitting hard. Started seeing deer right off the bat, nothing that I felt was worth dragging out or had a shot at. At 10:30, I had a lone deer, what I thought was a doe, approach, and as it went down off the ridge, I could have sworn I seen it staggering. Thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me, I decided to still hunt my way out to my vehicle.

When I got there at 12:30, there was a another hunter and his son having lunch. We exchanged tales, and he told me of a nice buck that his son had hit, but were unable to recover. I didn't think much of it until I got about 2 miles away and I thought about that lone deer that wasn't acting right. I turned around, and went back to where I was parked and the man and his son were still there. I asked them about where they lost blood, and sure enough it sounded like it was only about 200 yards from where I spotted this deer. I told them about it, and we decided to go have a look. Sure enough, about 40 yards down over the ridge from where I had last seen this deer, he laid deader than a doornail. The kid hit him a little to far back, but had just caught the liver. That young man sure was a happy camper when he laid eyes on that six pointer. I couldn't believe that I had missed those antlers when I seen him.

Now the bad part. I purchased a new hand climbing stand made by one of the most popular standmakers on Friday night. Saturday afternoon I decided to try it out. What a mistake. Going up wasn't so bad, but at last light when I decided to come down, I got into some trouble. It seems that when I tried to play contortionist and bend my body in ways that no hefty 51 year old man should try, I may have herniated a disk. I have 3 bulgers so as it is, and I'm pretty sure that I blew one out. Will find out this week after a Dr visit and MRI. I knew I should have purchased the sit and climb model.  :mad:  

So, it looks like I may have ruined my season. Hopefully maybe I can pray for a miracle. But at this point, I can barely walk 20 feet much less hunt. So keep those stories coming. I'll surely be reading them.
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
1st of 2 does and a ferel house cat shot last night.  Passed on a really nice 8 point that'll be a doozy next season.

Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Nice doe, that thing looks like a mule   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »

Doug WOW!!!!! that is a real dream, you made into real life.
   :notworthy:     :notworthy:     :notworthy:

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
I punched my second NE buck tag with this dandy 4x4 (actually two add'l 1" stickers that are hard to see) on Oct. 4.  Brand new property in Butler Co., NE about 640 acres but about 550 acres are crops and the rest CRP and a duck pond.  Biggest trees are thigh-sized (at the base) cottonwoods and only a handful of them will support only certain tree stands.  It's totally different than anything I've hunted before, but I spent a couple afternoons scouting it in late Aug/early Sept, and then slipped in Oct. 4 with a stand on my back headed for a tree I'd picked out a month earlier.  Long story short, I got the stand put up (but only 8' high...impossible to go higher)
and then just after sunset a good-looking 115" 4x4 and this big guy step out of a little sandy/scrubby/weedy bedding area just to my south.  The wind's blowing 25-35 mph and I'm swaying up in this sapling and videotaping both bucks, trying to decide on the larger of the two.  They eventually end up directly under me at 4 yards, which is dang close when you are 8' up.  The video is on nightshot and the view is surrealistic and BIG...and I'm changing my mind...so with the winds covering me, I switch weapons and drill the big one.  The Woodsman hits where I'm aiming, and next thing you know I'm out of NE buck tags and we haven't even gotten to the best part of the season yet.  I've still got basically unlimited doe tags, but I'm exploring a couple NR options while still on cloud nine with these two bucks.  Keep the photos coming; stickbow men and women are getting it done.

This is the tree I was in.  It's only 8' tall, so picture a 6' guy up in the tree (okay, only 5'10), and the buck just 4 yards from the base of the tree where the grass is all stomped down.

And here he is.

"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Way to go Bryce. You are a deer killing machine.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Bryce, I'm gettin to where I don't like you very much..........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
No picture, didn't have the camera and wasn't expecting much at noon. I went out for a walk during a light drizzle here in Weston, Missouri hoping to see something. It was about noon as I was walking the edge of a cornfield and just happen to see a button buck layig there on the edge of the corn as it rained lightly. He was looking away which gave me a great shot with a HH bow. Once the arrow struck him he got up and walked 50 feet and collapsed. My first for this season. Perfect day for a hunt, I just wish I could go out this evening instead of work.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
IMG]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/ultra06/061-1.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe these pics will come thru  this...Haven't done this in awhile...
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
The next one as well..I took her with my Crusader,LBR this one's for you..

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
Good shootin Danny. Backstraps for supper, mmm mmm.

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks Peachey..I  like them that size,bout the only ones I can drag out by myself.Besides the smaller the target the greater the reward.LOL.Not that luck has anything to do with it..haha.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Looking a little regge' with those dread locks brother.  congrates on a great shot.  Let's do it again this weekend.... Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©