3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Nice job Andy!!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
My best deer with a bow.

I found a mega scrape and some nice rubs 2 wks ago on top of a mountain in a nice saddle. I tried to get my son to hunt it, but I don't think he likes to climb too much. Since he didn't make the effort to go up there, I hauled my stand up the mountain one evening. Anice six pt and a spike came in before I even had an arrow nocked. I left with a good feeling for the next morning's hunt. Settled in just before shootin light the form of a deer passes just behind me. About 30 min later footsteps are coming from my right down the mountian. I stand and get ready as they are coming on a rope. The buck goes to the scrape and works it over. I can see he's a nice one and my heart pounds harder. I pretty sure he's gonna come under my stand when he suddenly turns and starts back up the ridge. I don't carry a grunt tube, too much to keep up with, so I gave him my best snort wheeze.
He turns on a dime, ears laid back starts a stiff legged walk towards and below me. He's on a mission and won't stop. He walks past me at 18yd. I'm about to panic when he pics up my scent where I had walked in. He goes on alert and back peddled about three steps, right into an opening. It's all a blurr, I didn't see my arrows flight, but heard the impact. He drops right there. I grab another arrow cuase I know I spined him. He rolls down in a ditch with a tree top in it, completely blocking a shot. I figure if I stay still he die shortly.Well, five min later and he's still not out, but he had squirmed into a very small opening. He's about 30yds now, but I know I have to try. My arrow deflects on a limb and smacks a rock next to him. Nocking another arrow, I draw and release...thud. I got him...angling up thru the liver and into the lungs. On the drag out, all I could see was a picture of one of the Wensel boys dragging a big buck with bow in hand that I had seen as a kid. Awesome feeling!
The guys at the outdoor shop totally amazed with my recurve kill.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2008, 03:24:00 AM »
Nice shooting Alan i like the over the shoulder pic    :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »
Great pictures !     :notworthy:     :eek:

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
tradtusker, is that a shrew you're shooting?  Beautiful animals, but really that's one sweet looking bow...

What's the specs?
Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
thanks. yip its a super shrew deluxe 56" bow bolt take down 63lbs at my draw. love that bow
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline David Brent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »
Honaker and Bullwinlke, nice work and great pics! Gotta love a smooth, accurate Bob Lee.
Bob Lee Exotic 54#
Bob Lee Signature Hunter 55#
Bob Lee Hunter Takedown 56#
Brackenberry O'l Timer Longbow 53#
Martin Hunter 55#

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Just had a chance to scroll through this thread. Kudos to every one so far. Lots of great memories being made, lots of great meals ahead.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Here is my best bow kill to date! Got him 10/21, with my Morrison Cheyenne. Shot was all of 4 yards!

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: October 26, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Had Allen Above take this Picture of a doe I killed 10-22 evening:

~10 yards with a 55@29lb, 62" Blacktail Elite recurve using Gold tip Traditional 55-75 arrow with 150 gr Wensel Woodsman. Total wt. ~530 gr.

:thumbsup:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Cove-Creek

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Saturday 10-25-08

Hunted in rain all morning, only deer sighting was a small spike.

The weather broke at about 2pm so I went to the truck and put on some dry gear. I was set up on two red oaks that had the ground covered with acorns, the hottest feeding sign in the area was under them. Some decent buck sign in the area too.

This was the first deer to come in. 18 yd shot, 100 yd recovery.

Bear Grizzly 60@28" 29.5" 2314s 145 grain snuffers

Zach

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Good buck Cove.
How do you like that Grizzly? I was thinkin of tryin one, wasn't sure if it would handle a 30in draw though.

Offline Cove-Creek

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Robert,

I'm drawing 29.5" and it shoots well for me.  As far as it stacking at a longer draw length im not real sure, its the only recurve Ive ever shot.

It's iron tough too, ive hunted with it for 6 or 7 years without any problems, and I am hard on gear.

Zach
Zach

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Nice kills guys, thanks for sharing   :thumbsup:

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »

Jonathan Dauler 10 yrs.
Lake Oconee GA
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
That's so cool....how old is he?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Been hunting 4 years with recurve this is first big game kill. Super Kodiak #65 with bow hush and wensel woodsman tipped wooden arrows made by Guru purchased through St. Judes Auction. There is a story in PowWow to but im not sure how to put the link to it in here.

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Budog56:
[QB] Been hunting 4 years with recurve this is first big game kill. Super Kodiak #65 with bow hush and wensel woodsman tipped wooden arrows made by Guru purchased through St. Judes Auction. There is a story in PowWow to but im not sure how to put the link to it in here.
Here's your link to:

STORY

Nice First!! Congrats

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks..thanks for linking the story for me to!

Offline Lost Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: November 02, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
My story.  Nov 1 2008.  First day in the woods this year.  Haven't even scounted, but I am hunting property I've hunted for years.  By sunrise the woods are noisy...birds and a very irritated squirrel.  About 0830 I see a buck coming down my trail.  Heart jumps when I see the rack.  He gets off the trail and parralles it walking thru honeysuckle.  Thought I'd have to pass or try to thread a shoot if he hit an opening.  Well he for some reason he hooks out of the honeysuckle and stops about 10 yards in front of my stand, virtually broad side.  I draw and shoot - took out lungs and heart!  Down in 50 yards.  My best ever.

A funny side note. A lady who also hunts the property with her husband came over and was admiring the deer. She said you're the one that "hunts with that funny bow"  and you "don't use ScentLock"...another victim of too much advertising.

My "funny bow" is a beautiful takedown longbow - Firefly from Jim Jones.  First shot at live game with this bow.

Todd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©