3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008
« Reply #420 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Trying this for the first time.

This is my first buck with trad gear. First was a doe a few weeks before. Here is the story.

I'm hunting on the base I work on in Dahlgren, Va.
Same tree I took the doe from a few week earlier. I noticed the acorns were dropping so the next time I decided to hunt the same spot. Got in the tree about 3pm and saw what I think in the same buck I shot on the edge a a creek that has water in in when the stream rises. I saw him out about 100 yards crossing the creek area. Got out my grunt call and gave it a try. Grunted and watched the buck look back and then proceed on his way. About 45 minutes later I hear something coming from the direction I saw the buck disappear from. I first saw him and my heart started beating and I was shaking. He proceeded to tease me at about 20 yards munching on acorns. I wasn't comfortable taking that shot plus there was a fresh scrape 10 yards in front of me that I thought he might come to.

I watched him for 15 or so minutes then he decided to head down towards me. First, I thought he was going to go to my left then he switched at the last minute and went right past my stand at about 8 yards. I was nervous and picked a spot behind his front shoulder. As I released and saw the arrow hit I was disappointed I had hit him too far back. I immediately said to my self that I was not going to push him, but would leave him all night.

Arrived and started my search a first light. I found my arrow about 5 minutes after I started searching. I was feeling a little bit better because the arrow had some blood and most importantly no gut!

I started making a circle around the spot and found him within 5 minutes he was only 60 yards from where I had shot him.

I was using a 56" Mojo Stik 49# @ 26" draw. I was and am the happiest guy out there. I've been trying to take a deer with trad gear for 4 years.

Forgot to mention that the day I shot the doe I saw 5 different bucks and I think this was one of them.

Further investigation showed liver hit.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine buck   :bigsmyl:    :archer:

Offline turkey351

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Great job your in the right spot,,,zipperman
just hunt

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: December 28, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Great deer Mel Congrats on a well earned trophy.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: December 28, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Mel congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: December 29, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
Yesterday my brother in law hunted a tri-pod that I had put up at the corner of a big hay field. He shoots the other kind of bow and always leaves early because he can no longer see through his peep. He call to say he had seen a large buck coming in as he was leaving and did not think the buck had seen him. I knew if the buck would repeat I would have 15 or more minutes of light more than the B in L would have had and might have a chance at him.

He came out about the same time as yesterday and I was able to take him. He was one of two nice bucks I had seen there earlier.

I killed a spike and a doe earlier so I still have one doe tag left. I may just be able to tag out as I have a week left.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: December 29, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: December 29, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Draco,

Beautiful buck!  :)

Mel

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: December 29, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
nice high rack. Looks young too, you must have good genetics around there.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: December 29, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
You can't tell from the pictures but his main beams are long to the front. That's what I was looking at and he lo oked big from the side.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
Draco..congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: December 31, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
I finally filled my tag yesterday.  I missed a gimme shot at a big ten pointer around a month ago, he was a very large deer and was actually farther away than I estimated.

I went afield yesterday afternoon with my newly made curly Hickory bow that I just finished less than a week ago.  A west wind was blowing so I headed for a big Cottonwood blowdown that I could watch a couple of trails from.

Just before dark a group of does and yearlings (seven in all) moved into the area and milled around, crossing back and forth across a small drainage.  After about 30 minutes I finally got a clear shot at one of the does at about 20 yards.

I was shooting a bamboo shaft with a 145gr Snuffer and a homemade luminock.  It was really weird to watch the green tracer hit the doe.  I got complete penetration but no pass through.  I watched the luminock disappear as the doe trotted off.

After a wait I got out my lights and GPS and started looking for a blood trail.  I scanned the area in hopes of spotting the green glow of my luminock but it was nowhere in sight.  At 7:30 I finally left the woods because of a dwindling blood trail and starvation.  I hadn't eaten since breakfast and was starting to get the shakes.

Fast forward to this morning.  We have an enormous population of coyotes around here so I was pretty much certain that I would find nothing
but leftovers.  I left the truck and headed for my last GPS fix which wound up less than 100 yards from the road.  While walking in I was scanning the woods and saw a small bunch of deer run off ahead of me.  I stopped to watch them and see if maybe there was a wounded deer with them and spotted the doe laying about 50 yards away.  I had walked within 50 feet of her last night but never saw her.  It was pitch black last night.

The back of the arrow was still in her but I haven't found the Snuffer.  I am thinking that she stopped to pull the arrow and maybe pulled it back inside of her.  It was 22* this morning and she was fairly well frozen so I didn't even field dress her, I just loaded her and took her to the meat locker.

Just behind me in this picture is where I saw the deer this morning.

On the way home I took the back roads and spotted this feller alongside the Neosho River.  Good ending to the morning.

Equipment used:
62"  54#@28" hybrid longbow that I just finished making.  Maple core, Curly Hickory lams (from Kennym), and .050 glass.  Osage, Walnut, & Hickory riser.
Homemade bamboo shaft with homemade luminock and 145gr Snuffer dressed in turkey feather fletching.

Dennis

Update:
The meat locker just called (3pm) and said the meat had spoiled overnight and didn't recommend eating it.  I was hoping the cold overnight temps had saved the meat but it just wasn't so.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Congratulations! Nice doe, fantastic bow

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: December 31, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Great job Dennis. Didn't take long to break in that new bow! Congrats.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: December 31, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
YEAH!! New bow broke in!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: January 01, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Contratulations Dennis........... that was a big doe.  Too bad she spoiled.

You remember we talked about shooting armadillos. I may just take you up on that offer for a guided "dillo hunt" at your place.  We went on a rabbit hunt a few days ago here (about 10 of us stick n string shooters).  Didn't get any but I took a shot at a staub about 40 yards away and drilled it.  I was feeling real good about myself until yesterday morning when I missed a cayote at 15yds.  Gee Wiz!!!

Anyway, still want to drill a dillo!

later ... -Dave

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: January 01, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
We do a lot work around our lake and used to see bunches of them before the flood.  There are a few starting to show up again and I'll holler if we start seeing a number of them around.

Dennis

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: January 01, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Good job Dennis. You must have done good on the bow. congrats pal, Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: January 03, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Dennis..congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
PSA III Black Widow, Gold tip 3555 with 100 grain brass inserts and Magnus Stinger head. Complete pass through she ran about 60 yards and I saw her tump over. She was 3.5 years old and had two 1-1/2" long fetuses in her and was bred around Nov. 6th.

More fetus info:
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=068864  

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©