3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008  (Read 8604 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
can't beat those javie's for a fun hunt.

doug77

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
good one kim - glad to see michael getting interested in the hunting side of things as well.
cheers - brian

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2008, 04:55:00 AM »
Awesome!!!!!! to all!!!!

The Red deer pics are awesome. As well as the Javie's!

Happy hunting,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
Great stuff guys! Great story and pics Auzoutdoors! Excellant trophies Raw Hide! Thanks for sharing guys!  ;)   :thumbsup:   :clapper:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Dannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
Great pics guys (and Gals). For someone like myself whos just getting into traditional archery from compound, threads like these are very enjoyable. I love seeing what everyone getting with their longbows and recurves. Now I just got to get me longbow.   :p

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
No telling what you might stumble across when doing a little stump shooting.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline TradAg07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
3-15-08 My buddy (TexasAg) and I took a couple javelina down in south Texas. This was my first longbow kill and hopefully there will be many more to come...

Me  

TexasAg

"Ain't nothin' but a stick and a string"

Offline Ostrorogi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Nice pictures guys!
Will you eat that? If not, why did you kill it?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Scared me 'til I saw that you had a nice-guy-type smile! Sharp hunting there! 'Em javies are all haid!  :eek:  

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
As much as I wanted to head out to my new red deer spot I had been told that Easter W/end was going to be family time so it took a bit of thinking to come up with a plan that would cover the family thing and mabey give me an oppertunity to have a shot as well.I managed to look away when the stare was put on when the bows went in the car with the other gear so all was good I mean after all if the kids were playing in the canoe why would I have a bit of a walk around the river bank?
After recent rain and flooding in the Moonie district I thought the river might still have enough water to give the distraction the kids need when camping to keep them out of Mum and Dads hair.  :D  I even put the canoe on hoping the trouble of carting it all that way would be worth it.I have only ever fished  from it and had not really given any though to hunting from it but that was to change that is for sure.After setting up camp and putting up the new tent(its amazing the money you can spend when it is FAMILY stuff) :wink: it was into the water with the canoe and a bit of paddle up the river to get my sea legs so to speak before taking the kids for a bit of a paddle.The water hole we camped next to was about 100mtrs long so I headed upstream to the end and turned around to come back but was suprised by some noises coming from the reeds under one of the trees left laying over from the recent floods on a sandbank at the edge on the main flow.It was 3 slips and a large sow that I had woken up from their midmorning knap and they burst from cover and made short work of getting over the bank to disappear into the scrub that closes in on the river at this point.I paddled back to camp and through on the camos and grabbed the bow telling the misses that the water was shallow enough for the kids to play in there by themselves(yes I DID check really) and I was going for a quick walk.

It took me about ten minutes to get to the area on the far bank I last saw the pigs and sat and listened and watched to see if maybe they had stopped after getting over the high bank.As the wind was in my favour in the canoe they should have only seen me and not smelt me and if that is the case often they settle down quickly.As I sat sweating and listening to my heart beat I spied some little black legs slip through the bush heading back to the river and I knew it was game on.I now had a real advantage as I knew the nice little shady spot they where heading back to so angled across to ambush them as they settled back to sleep in the reeds.I made it to about 15 yards from the edge on the bank when I stopped at the sound of movement coming back toward me and had to freeze as the 3 little pigs came over the bank heading straight toward me.
I had been caught very much in the open but the advantage camo was doing its job and the little mob was just standing there grunting to each other as they do when not sure what to do next.As I came to full draw the wind made up their mind as they got a snout full of me they decided the scrub was the best place after all and ran toward me along the track I was standing on.I was forced to hold at full draw until they all passed me and as the last little pig veered to avoid my leg I guess I released as I dont remember the shot just the arrow burying to the fletches behind the shoulder on a rapidly departing pig.The shot was spot on and the run was more of a pig on a tread mill as they do when hit well so I started off quietly but quickly to follow the pig as it crashed through the scrub.There was no blood trail so I was keen to keep it within earshot as the scrub here was very think and had swallowed a well hit pig before today.She only made it about 30 meters and I could hear that she had stopped and then the prolonged squeal they sometimes give when they dont know why but just cant keep up with the others in the mob.I had another arrow on the string but there was no need as by the time I got there the life had drained onto the ground next to the arrow that had now passed right through undamaged apart from some very messed up feathers.(Just got to love carbons).
I sat and had a big long drink from the camelback and a few deep breaths and noticed the shakes come on as they do for me at this stage of the game.It was only a small pig and many guys will see the pics and say whats the big deal but its amazing the way this sport can throw things at you as you practice at 20 yards every day and end up shooting at THREE after holding for what seemed like 10 seconds(more like a compound shooter)So I was stocked as I headed back to the river with my prize to get some pics as I had not had a chance to grab the camera before leaving camp.I left her on the side of the river and came back with the canoe to pick her up and though it very fitting that the trophy was carried back to camp in the canoe as I would have never found the pigs without it.
Thanks for reading....Cheers KIM

PS..Bow is a Robertson Vision Falcon #63 shooting carbon express arrows 650 grains with a Woodies Outback Supreme b/head
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline TexasAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
That was an awesome story! Thanks for sharing

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Luau time!!
Great story, beautiful bow. Looks like good eating, too.
Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I have no pictures to look or to share with you  but have many in my memory. It was one of the best sits in October I can remember without the taking of a whitetail. I got to the stand about 1:30pm and climbed up in. Let me try to discribe what I was looking at. I was just off the edge of a field about twenty yards in the hardwoods. There was a poplar tree that had fallen down and was about fifteen yards to my left that went across my shooting lane to the field. That was ok, I could still see deer if they walked in on it. I sat there about an hour and heard "noise" behind me. I sat motionless and could tell the noise was moving toward me and to the right. I then heard the familiar "putt", "putt" and realized it was turkey. I sat with my bow limb in front of my face and had 13 turkeys foraging all around me. Very cool I thought! They stayed under my tree and around me for about 5-10 minutes and made their way off. I sat for another half hour and saw motion to my right. I thought my eyes to be playing tricks because I saw nothing where I saw something! Then it moved and proved my eyes to be ok when two partridge came in around me. Hard to see in the Autumn leaves. They stuck around for awhile and went their way. Time went on for awhile and once again I saw movement only to my left this time. I glanced real slow over to my left where that Poplar tree was at the ground leaning toward me and saw a small black ball walking up from the roots right toward me. Oh Boy just what I need.. a bear cub! As I wrestled in my mind just how I was gonna handle this little dilema the "cub" came thru the leaves and turned out to be a porcupine! That guy sat 5 yards from me and never new I was there. It was real cool to watch this guy and how he lived for that half hour. It was getting dark and the old familiar yip of the coyotes were ringing in the night air so I got down from the stand. Geese had flown over,red and gray squirrels were making their runs for the winter and all in all it was a sit for the memories. I did get grief when I got back to camp as to why I didnt snap a turk or whack the porckie but felt it to be perfect just how it ended. I hope I did ok without polaroids and painted pictures in your mind about my sit
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
great pic's & stories... God I love the Place.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Raw Hide I see you've been givin' that Kim Sha a workout!!

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by atlatlzoom:
Raw Hide I see you've been givin' that Kim Sha a workout!!
Yea, had a heck of a good time!

Here's one more picture of the trip with Ole "TP" in it behind me.

I got him building me another Shadow T/D. I love his bows!

Mike

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Very nice.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
This is my first turkey taken last weekend, took many years to get one of these guys...Craig

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
congrats!

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!   :clapper:
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©