3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008  (Read 8606 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2008
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
Congrats or "Weidmanns Heil" as we say in Germany. (By the way: has nothing to do with the Nazi-time like "Heil Hitler" or something like this brown stuff)

We have a very small and decreasing population of wild turkeys in the area of our former capitol, the city of Bonn at the River Rhine. Do not know how they got there. Probably by your fellow country men who wanted to have some fun with turkey hunting while on duty overseas.
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
And hopefully this turns out...my first pig ever... killed in Macon County, Georgia.  I killed it the next to last day of deer season...& i know, the pig is prettier than me!  
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Great first Pig....Congrats

Elmer, are they legal to hunt? Ever think of writing to the National Wild Turkey Foundation, see if they can help bring back the Turkeys to better numbers... Just a Idea...

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
As long as the turkeys don't eat the barley, malt, hops, etc. that make Becks Dark.    :jumper:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline furcutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
After three days of watching this fella strut just out of my shooting range, he finally got a little too inquisitive. Man those tree sharks really put a womping on em! Just look at that right wing.    :eek:  

Grandfather, Great Spirit, Lean close to the Earth that you may hear the voice that I send. Give me the eyes to see and the strength to understand that I may be like you. With your power only can I face the winds. (the prayer of Black Elk)

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
Great first Pig....Congrats

Elmer, are they legal to hunt? Ever think of writing to the National Wild Turkey Foundation, see if they can help bring back the Turkeys to better numbers... Just a Idea...
Yes, they are legal to hunt in a short hunting season. But I think that they are not interested in any efforts to let the population increase.
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
Summary from a study concerning turkey:

In the past centuries attempts have been made to introduce various of the six subspecies of wild turkeys inhabiting North America into practically all countries in Europe. Particularly many trials were conducted during the period 1880 to ca. 1914. Except for the trial in Grafenegg/Lower Austria which lasted from 1880–1945 all others were of short duration. At the end of World War II there were no occurrences of wild turkeys in Germany nor in Austria.
In the Federal Republic of Germany including the former German Democratic Republic 11 naturalization trials were conducted during the period between 1953–1993. Some of these introductions were to be permanently established and others existed for only a short duration. Five trials were conducted in North Rhine-Westphalia (Bönninghardt, Senne, Kottenforst, Mindenerwald, Ochtentrup); two each were in Rhineland-Palatinate (Bassenheimer-Wald, Taunus) and Lower Saxony (Gartow, Springe) respectively; and one each in Baden-Württemberg (Schutterwald) and Schleswig-Holstein (Wacken). At the present time (1993) only four occurrences including a total of 150 turkeys (spring populations) are still extant. All of these occurrences are endangered due to the low number of birds. This is especially true for the trial at Bassenheimer-Wald.
The cause of the population declines in the naturalization trials despite early success during the 1980's is not lack of suitable habitat, but rather high predator pressure, especially from foxes, hawks, and wild boar. Of interest is the fact that the trial conducted in Taunus using wild turkeys caught in and imported from North America had no better success than attempts using birds raised in flight cages.
Since many free-living wild species at present show signs of isolation, the four still extant occurrences of wild turkeys in Germany should continue to be under scientific observation. The wild turkeys present the ideal possibility to conduct population ecological investigations and also represent an attractive game species.
Elmer Keith

Offline flinginmetal

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Congratulations David! We know how difficult those Easterns can be.....can't wait to see more pics....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
My first Turkey with a bow! 11" beard, 1" spurs, 25 lbs.

The full story can be read  here.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline furcutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Nice! Congrats Kevin! That's a beautiful bird!!!
Grandfather, Great Spirit, Lean close to the Earth that you may hear the voice that I send. Give me the eyes to see and the strength to understand that I may be like you. With your power only can I face the winds. (the prayer of Black Elk)

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Great looking first bird. Very exciting times for you!!Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Great photos and I like showing the broadhead that was used! Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
April 20, sunday morning I found myself on 154 acres south of the Llano river about 10 miles with no high fences and surounded by big ranches.It was breaking when I came up to the feeder and could see hogs running around the protein feeder. I circled with the wind in my favor and walked to the 5' tripod. Just when I got even with it the feeder went off and a herd of over twenty hogs ran over from the protein feeder which was about 50 yards away. Was that exciting with them crunching corn while I steped up to about 18 to 20 yards and picked out the biggest spotted boar. The MagnusI filed to right beval went in and out avbove the front legs and onto the ground. I had another arrow out and it cought a sow a little back, but the big Magnum 1 1/2" went up to the feathers.It was like being in Africa as they took off. I found both hogs about 80 yards and no blood from the two blade and light blood from the 4 blade which both would shave. My longbow is 47#@ my 28" draw and shoots the 500 grain carbons at about 158 to 160 fps. Both hogs were hit on there right side and arrows exiting on left as both photos show.The 4 blade shaft was broken when found. This hunt was exiting
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Nice bird, Kevin.

Exellent report, Ken.

Gongrats all around.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Good friend shot his first turkey with a Chek-mate and I managed to hammer a couple fish with mine.
Nice shoot'n bows for sure.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Bunch of good stories and pics. You guys have me ready to go. Come on elk drawing.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Got my first turkey, with a bow, yesterday. The story is here:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059925

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Way to go.  :thumbsup:
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"