3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your basic survival kit  (Read 2221 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your basic survival kit
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Mine is some 550 / paracord, I always have a bunch in my pockets, different lengths.  And I always have a Scandinavian grind knife on me.... easiest blade grind to sharpen in the field.  And a ferro rod!  I usually have some jolly ranchers in my pockets too, as well as a whistle, a match case stuffed full of cotton balls (tinder!) and a compass that are dummy corded.

Condoms are for carrying water.  At least in this case they are.

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
work some vaseline into those cotton balls and that makes great waterproof tinder. you can fit a bunch of them in a 35 mm film can. when it is time to use them just shred them a little and they will burn great.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Yeah guys, the rubbers are for water----and I guess if one stumbles upon "The one" while trying to survive and make it out.

I have found that those magnesium blocks(with the flint) are pretty darn handy, too---I have one on my keychain. If its wet, magnesium will get it going.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
On my keychain I have the following, a carabiner, a compass, a thermometer, a Doan Magnesium bar/ferro rod, a Scout knife (with main blade, can opener, awl and screw driver cap lifter), a water tight fob (they sell them at drugstores) with a small fishing kit inside, a water tight fob that contain aspirin. I wear a bracelet made of 10' of paracord. This is my back-up/always on me kit.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
JBiorn, why the buttons, and why those colors? Also, why the syringes?
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I guess a person living is say Alaska where there are huge wildernesses and giant potential for injury vs. some one like me who lives in the kansas.

If I get lost an hour walk in any direction and I'll hit help....usualy less then 20 minutes walk.

My biggest piece of survival is my cell phone. I do have a first aid kit in the car.

I do carry a flashlight and some bandaids and some imodium ad.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
having been in search and rescue for 7 years or so,I could post a reply here that would take a bunch of space. If anyone wants a list of what we were required to carry,send me a PM.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.    :campfire:

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
One thing I will add here that I didn't see mentioned are a couple of tampons. We hunt with scalpel sharp blades,and tampons are good to plug bullet holes as well as arrow holes.

They are designed to stop bleeding.   :rolleyes:    :campfire:

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
tamure---the syringes are for administering the lidocaine in case of the need to perform any knitting.

When in the hills and you experience a little drymouth, one can suck on a button to keep the juices going a little----1 black and 1 green because I like to change flavors from time to time.  :bigsmyl:

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
One thing that I havent seen is Duct Tape.  I take the roll and pull off a foot or so then fold the last two inches of the strip back onto itself, then keep folding it onto itself back up to the roll, open another foot and keep going. I take 5-6 ft of it, but its a two inch rectangle that is an eighth of an inch thick. Then when you need it its just like taking off the roll agian. I really like this trick and how many uses are there for duct tape? Now what you have is a man armed with condoms and duct tape in the bush.....by God there will be no stopping you now!
Allan

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
There was duct tape in my original post.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
If you are considering surgical procedures (sewing yourself up), think super glue as an option.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
So there was my bad.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I carry a couple of lighters( you have to have one that is close to your body in cold weather- because in really cold weather.. butane lighters won't work). I also carry a couple 'space blankets' because you can lay one on the ground; and use the other for a roof; which brings up the parachute cord- used for making a frame for the roof. I carry a sierra cup; and some tea bags and some hard candy. You can boil water in the sierra cup. I have a magnesium fire starter in my knife sheath-where there used to be a sharpening stone. I also carry one of those cheap plastic parkas- they can help retain heat.
 I also carry a can of spam. It motivates me not to have emergencies. It also is in a can; which may be used to heat food in. I carry fire starters; cardboard ground up with paraffin. I carry an extra knife; a file for sharpening. Asprin and ibuprophen because I am more likely to have a wound that I don't want asprin to thin my blood out with; but then again if my chest hurts..I want the asprin. I also take a plastic bag with a whole roll of toilet paper in it.
 The paper can be used for its intended purpose or for fire starting- and the plastic bag for sucking chest wounds.
 I do not carry condoms; if I am found dead- or near dead- from a sucking chest wound; I wouldn't want to be found that way. They might just leave you in the woods; shaking their heads   :eek:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Urgent Q.R, a powder that creates an instant scab. Great stuff. Ditto the tampon that D-Bill said, they have saved more than a few of our guys at war. Too, a kotex pad for more of a slash-type wound.This pack needs to be at the ready any time that gutting -skinning knife comes out. If you poke the BIG hole in yourself or your partner, the panic could prevent the quick response that could be the difference.  For those who question the need for "survival" kits because you are not in wilderness settings,  you might not need the overnight stuff, but when you start leaking because of the slipped knife or broadhead, it doesn't matter where you are if you don't have anthing to handle the bleeding. This thread is a great reminder for me(and all of you)that this is a great time to get re certified in CPR and tune up the first aid knowledge. Thanks
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Beer powder. Water purifier. Collapsible cup.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Many here don't hunt in areas where the ability to scrounge for food is going to make any difference.  You'll be found, or find your way out, long before it matters to your survival.  Staying warm (or protected from heat, where applicable) and staying hydrated are your first priorities.  A stash of Powerbars or the like will meet your survival food needs.  (Yes, I know AK is an exception -- used to live there -- as well as certain parts of the West and much of Canada.)  

I would also like to emphasize that all of us bowhunters carry the unique instruments of our own demise.  If you don't have something absorbent to apply to a puncture wound or laceration that is pumping arterial blood at an astonishing rate (as suggested above re: tampons, etc.) you don't have a survival kit yet.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
When I used to take my recon team out I would have lighters everywhere; my shirt pocket, trousers, load carrying vest, my rucksack, sew kit, assault pack.
Nothing is better for moral than fire.  They also make bandages that are already saturated with vasoline.  If you cut just a small slit in it you can pull some of it part way out and give it a twist to make a long burning wick.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
I carry no less than:
ibuprofin tabs
claritin
TP from MRE packages
a couple ziplock bags
antibiotic cream
a couple gauze pads
superglue
a couple bandaids
lighter
duct tape wrapped around a pen
cell phone
multitool
knife
compass

Superglue is probably in the top 3 of what I consider important.  I haven't had to use it while hunting but I have closed a couple wounds with it and it works great.  I have seen doctors use it on one of my kids a couple of times and their technique wasn't much different than mine so I feel comfortable using it. Needles for suturing?  No way I would do that to myself.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
I carry a little pal light.Cabela's has them about 15.00.It runs off of a 9 volt battery.The battery lasts a long time.

It has 3 light modes. Glow,so you can find it the dark easily,high beam to see in the dark,and flashing,to draw attention to your location.

I also stuff a bit of 00 steel wool in it to start fires with.

Just separate the wool into two clumps twisted into thread,hold one on +,one on -,get close to your tinder,touch the ends together in the middle. Poof! you have made     :campfire:    

:goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©