3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the superiority of stickbows. a new look at trad!  (Read 1454 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
the superiority of stickbows. a new look at trad!
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
with so many people looking at stickbows as a new super challange and a way to be part of the past, do you think we scare away more people? dont get me wrong, the challange and history of the bow is a huge part but what if we look at the stickbow in a differant way. how about the things about it that makes it more effective than the compound?  whatch a hunting show and see how many shot oppertunities are missed because the animal was was not perfectly still and they didnt have time to line up there peep site with the right pin.  or the light was to low to see their pin yet they could clearly see the animal.  dont get me wrong, the stickbow does not mean you can take unethical shots but it imo, its pros far outway its cons when compared to the compound.  perhaps we should exploit its good things to get more people into it rather than scare them away by telling them they will have to settle for the spirit of the hunt rather than the kill.  stickbows are killing machines and are the most efficiant archery weapon to have in your hands in the field.  just some of my thoughts and like to hear yours!!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the superiority of stickbows. a new look at trad!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
..."stickbows are killing machines and are the most efficiant archery weapon to have in your hands in the field."

I think you will have to do some serious arm-bending on that one.

The younger folks wanting to try bowhunting want instant success.  That means they can buy a wheelbow, practice for a few hours, and start putting arrows into the kill zone from 40-50 yards.

It seems our best bet at increasing numbers is the offering of a new challenge to the wheel shooter and letting them see that it is FUN.
Lon Scott

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
everyone has their own opinion and they dont have to agree with me.  i want to hear everyones view on this.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline chucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
I think Blackhawk is right on the money! I personaly went back to relax and challenge myself. I find tuning a new selfmade bow one of the best kicks I have ever had in archery.
Another thing I don't miss is the keeping up with the Jones',sights, releases exc.
simple is good!

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I agree with Blackhawk the best way to atract more people is the fun aspect.  I started shooting a stickbow this year because of the hisory and simpleness.  I think in there simpleness lies their beauty.  My huntin partners are all compunders as was I, they seemed to get a kick out of me constantly pickin out targets in the woods and letting arrows fly.  my one friend said, "your like a little kid with that thing."  They haven't done this in years because of lost and broken arrows.  As far the most efficient weapon, I don't think that is right.  That would be like comparing and old kentucky rifle to a new 7MM.  You have to like this sport for the spirit and the intimacy of its closeness, and the bond you from with a piece of wood.  Alot of us name our bows and keep them for years like a real hunting partner.  The truth is wheelies shoot further,harder, an more accurately.  just my 2 cents.   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
they are the most simple bow to shoot as not much can go wrong with em. snap a string put a new one on carry on shooting. snap a string on a wheel bow and you are in the crap in more ways than one. and most of all they are fun to shoot. plus you can get off more shots than a guy using a wheel bow as he has to take time in thinking about what pin to use then get out his range finder. you know what i mean. they are more effective than wheel bows for sure. but that is also my opinion and i would not change it for the world.   :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
It is definitely possible some people are unsure about trad hunting/archery because many call it "the hard way".

We have, and should continue to promote the fun aspects of traditional archery.  Stump shooting, hunting small game and hunting various fowl species with traditiional gear is fun. I guess I should not leave out larger game, but you get the point.

Another thought, and this is an assumption on my part, is that "our way" requires more consistent practice to be effective. I think if that practice becomes more like work than fun it could be a turn-off.  I have been to several expo's where inexperienced guys would not shoot trad bows because "they did not want to look stupid/inadequate while shooting in front of others."

Just 3 years ago I had never really even shot a bow of ANY sort, except boyscouts 20 yrs earlier. Personally, when I picked up a longbow 3 years ago, I did so becaue it seemed simpler than all the gadgets on compounds.  Notice I did not say easier, just simpler. First time I shot was in front of 15 people at a show.  I didn't care how bad I was, it was just fun.  At first it really appealed to me. Now trad archery is something I could not give up.

My 2 cents,
Charlie

Offline Selfyewdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
My first post on here.  I have been lurking in the background reading for a while, but since I am new to trad archery and hunting, I will tell you why I went trad instead of compound.

Firstly, I love challenges....it seemed to me, while watching a compound shooter, he was basically just using a modified gun with a really really really long bullet.  Then when his peep sight broke at the range, it was all she wrote, he had to leave. Also, something to be said about looking at a target, deer, turkey, etc...having no sights, aiming and hitting where you aim.

Secondly, I enjoy black powder hunting and I thought this would be a new avenue to my traditional liking.

Thirdly, in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, traditional people seem nicer.  Not saying that compound guys aren't, but it seems like there is more of a will to help and befriend other trad guys.

That being said, I just started a few months ago and can't wait til next hunting season to see what I can accomplish.

Now, just waiting on my Classic English longbow that is Yew with a hicory backing I ordered from Jay St. Charles at Pacific Yew and my Pronghorn 3 pc takedown I ordered from Herb.

Dave
74" Pacific Yew Classic English Yew Longbow 60#@29"

62" Pronghorn 3pc takedown 60#@28"

68" Custom Hickory longbow 52#@28"

Louisiana Traditional Bowman member, ARTAC member, BLBS member

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I agree with Blackhawk  as I think a person just starting out will want instant success. But I also feel that in the hands of an experienced bowhunter the stickbow is way more versatile and effective. Granted most of us cant and dont shoot at deer 40 yards away like compoud shooters can, but setting your stands up within 20 yds or less of where the deer will appear, cosistintly, without being busted by them is harder than making the shot. I have alot of compound shooting friends who think the stickbow is just to hard to learn to shoot. But once they try it, they see how fun it is. I have converted two in the past year. I think the experienced compond hunter would make the switch faster than a novice. Just my 2 cents.

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
Yep.  Sorry deermaster1, but I'm agreeing with Blackhawk, chucker and JoeM.  Although I absolutely love both my recurve and longbow, I think it's a far stretch to say they are the "most efficiant archery weapon to have in your hands in the field".  I would say that traditional archers have more "adaptability" when it comes to shots.  That is one of the things I love most about my traditional bows.  I can shoot sitting down, turned backwards, on my knees, canting my bow to shoot an arrow under an object, etc...  You might see a compound shooter trying the first three, although not very easily, especially the "on my knees" trick, unless you have a short A2A length compound.... but you won't see any of them turning the bow sideways to shoot under an object like a tree limb.  That just ain't normal.  I'm sure other compound shooters have tried it, as I have also.

I believe in welcoming ALL archers to our sport - no matter what they shoot.  I do not judge someone because they have a different type of bow than I do.  I see archers, not "wheelie shooters" or "stickbow shooters".  I believe that the sport as a whole, on both sides of the fence, do more hurt to ourselves than good by differentiating between the "types" of archery.  The good natured ribbing between friends is all-good.  I have a friend who shoots a compound, and he comes out stump shooting with us all the time.  He messes with us when it's his turn to pick the target, because he always picks some small dandilion at 40 yards, or something like that.  But we try to hit it anyway.  Then when it is my turn to pick the target, I'll pick something that you have to get down on one knee and peer around a branch to see.    :D    Good natured, my compound shooting buddy will try it anyway, cursing me under his breath with a knowing grin on his face.  But all through the couple mile walk through the woods, we are all (compound and trad shooters alike) smiling and having fun with each other.  If I came off with the "traditional only" attitude, I don't think our little outtings would be nearly as fun, as we would be "pushing" something that doesn't need to be pushed.  

... Just this year, after the last stump shoot... my "compound buddy" mentioned that he might be interested in trying out a recurve this year.   :archer:    Me and my other recurve shooting friend just smiled.  If he picks one up, we will be happy to teach him.  If not, we still will be shooting together... as archers, and as friends.

Welcome everyone.  Teach whatever you can.  Accept people for who they are... not what they shoot.

All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
I agree with Deermaster.When all is compared, other than range you cant beat a stickbow.A deer can jump string on a 300fps c-bow so a 175fps stickbow aint so much of a handicap.And if your looking for a headache free good stime a stickbow beats wheels hands down.
                                  Izzy

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by chucker:

Another thing I don't miss is the keeping up with the Jones',sights, releases exc.
So you are one of the few still with only your first stick bow?  :biglaugh:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
Hi, not counting the string & stick bows as a kid, I started with wheels more or less. Took about 6 - 8 months before I realized I liked flinging quills more than I did tinkering with gadgets.

I've got nothing against wheels, it's just not for me. I'd rather promote bow hunting with any kinda bow over bang sticks.

We all find our own challenges & limitations & accept them. I'd much rather be hunting, fishing & camping than anything else, well, almost! Success is just a bonus, not required to enjoy myself.

Promoting safe, ethical hunting comes first in my mind. Everything else will just fall into place for each of us.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Cajuntec, you got it right!!!  I've been around bows for 30 years, most of that time shooting a compound. Only last year came back to where I started, with a stick and string. The efficiency or deadliness of either a longbow, recurve, compound, selfbow, whatever, has more to do with the dude holdin it than anything else. For me, shootin' a stickbow is just more fun. It puts some of the ARCH back in archery.
   :archer:    :archer:    :archer:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Shooting a stickbow has more to do with one's harmony/wellness than most will admit.

Have a bad day and shoot your compound, your groups went from 1.5 to 4" at 40 yards.

Have an off day and go shoot your stickbow, and your 2 to 4" groups at 20 yards just went to 8, 10, 12, 15" groups, or WAY beyond....

But that's just my opinion....your mileage may vary...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
a golf analogy....

The average "duffer" uses perimeter-weighted clubs, which allows him to hit more consistent balls, no matter where on the club face he hits it.  This, in fact, makes it easier for the average guy to go out and more quickly improve on the course (straighter, longer shots)

However, the pros often use traditional, blade irons, which allows them to "work" the ball right or left, high or low, adding more "arrows to the quiver" (had to slip that in....)

So, in the right hands, the versatility of our chosen weapons can in fact make them more efficient....PROVIDED we've taken the time to master them to the best of our abilites and know their limitattions.  However, "duffers" will continue to have more success with compounds.
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
Call me a stick in the mud, but I'm not sure that increasing our numbers indisriminately is a goal I am in favor of...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Totally agree with Jeff on that one   :thumbsup:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm a traditional shooter period and have been for 20 years. To shoot a traditional bow "well" with a high level of confidence is difficult. Very difficult and is not for everyone.  It took me 15 years to gain complete confidence and hell that's on a day to day basis at times.  

I've got a friend that shots a compound as seriously as we shoot our traditional bow and let me tell you I'd feel much safer walking under my stand than his.  Compounds today in the right hands are deadly.

I've heard the same lines over and over.....We can shoot faster, from different positions and in lower light.  Yep, we sure can but most eastern hunting where I'm from is sit and wait hunting and a compound in experienced hands is scarey accurate.

David Peterson sums it up, "We traditional folks choose Process over Product".  That's how I sell folks on traditional equipment. If it's more important how they do it than just doing it....traditional archery is for them!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I always fail to see the issue or concern or reason that folks worry about wheelies, compounds, training wheels and all the other goofy euphamisms folks call compound bows and the folks that like to shoot them.  I especially don't appreciate the negative stuff.  Many folks here have, did, or still do own and shoot them too.  

So I would agree, if you want someone to see your point of view, don't tick them off first. You are not gonna win a lot of arguements by saying your stuff is dumb, mine is smart now listen to me.

Matter of fact, I would suggest that every time someone feels the need to bring up compound bows in any sense on this site, they rewrite the sentence and substitute in something else for those bows like, rifle, black powder, rubber band guns - then reread it.  When you do, you will realize that your comments do not matter here because this site is for trade stuff.  That is my point.

Trade is fun.  It is not about shooting better than rifles. It is not about killing better than black powder. Trade is fun.  (Though you can pass a lot of time with rubber band guns.)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©