3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the superiority of stickbows. a new look at trad!  (Read 1453 times)

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the superiority of stickbows. a new look at trad!
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I think a stickbow "can be' a more effective tool than a compound in the hands of a highly skilled shooter. Yet, that probably wouldn't apply to 99% of us. Does anyone think that Paul Schaffer would have been better with a compound? If you can make 70 yard shots with a recurve, just about every other aspect of the weapon is better.. (low light, physical weight, simplicity, etc) Howard Hill might be another good example...how much better can you be with a compound if you can consistently take passing ducks on the wing? Fred Bear never shot a compound because he didn't like to shoot them.

For the average bowhunter the compound is a superior killing machine...the rest of us hunt with stickbows because we merely want to.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I can tell ya why I love traditional archery so much more than modern compound archery in one word....... "humility".

When a shot comes together, a target hit or game animal taken cleanly, that is the time you come to see how wonderful and unique a human being really is.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Lookinforlunkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I am pro archery period.  If there was one aspect of the sport I would like to exclude it would be crossbows.  As far as I am concerned they are the only weapon that does not belong in the category.
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
compounds are designed to be super accurate, quiet, fast, powerful, you can hold them at full draw for minutes, you have a sights, a triggered release ......... no, the vast majority of bowhunters use compounds because of one reason - they're by far the superior hunting bow

situations happen along that trad bows could be argued as a "better" weapon, but by and large, compounds are

I can pick up anybodys compound and with just a shot or two be deadly with it. Those compounders can't pick my TD longbow up and hit within 3 feet of where they want to. There's your difference in bows

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Well, I love the simplicity as mentioned over and over by others.  I also love the challenge.  I have spent years filling my freezer with a flintlock rifle.  After a while I had to start shooting a flint smooth bore to continue the challenge and feeling of "uniqueness"  Now I have put away my wheel bow and shoot long bow.  I am not very good.  I really enjoy shooting however. Just like with black powder, you must find what the gun likes relative to powder and patch.  My bow likes a certain brace height, arrow weight etc.  If I shoot what the bow likes, I shoot ok.  If I try to wtih faster arrows or shoot out of my hunting range, things start to go wrong.  The fun for me is learning what the bow likes and learning to shot with out sights.  It is a journey, but a pleseant one.  I do not feel any of my traditional equiptment is ineffective.  It is very effective if I live within their limitations.  I also just love the history of this stuff.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
While I love longbows and don't have much problem hunting anything I want with them for most they will never be as effective as a compound bow.Stickbows are deadly weapons and very effective but  ONLY  in the hands of those that have put in a lot of decication to be able to use them that way.Most people just do not do that.Go to any 3d or other shooting event and it is easy to see.Take 10 kids with a compound and a week of practice and most all will out shoot 90% of the people that bring stickbows to a 3d.Like I say I love them but I am not blind to the real world eother.  ;)  jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Food for thought;

When did the weapon of choise automaticlly define a hunter's ability? There is a big difference between shooting a tight group on a backstop and hunting.

You give a really good hunter a swiss army knife and he will make meat...

Just the way I see it.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Lookinforlunkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Excellent point JL
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
heres a thought...just think of how good howard hill was...now imagine how much better he would have been with the a compound with release and all the aids...THATS SCARY!

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Really ??
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Derrick Tynes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
I started out shooting recurves and longbows, and I will probably die shooting them.  I still don't think they are more effective weapons.  I just shoot them because I don't like the feel of compound bows and all the gadgets on them.   I don't have anything against compounds or anyone that shoots them.  I think alot of people shoot them because it take less practice to get proficient.  I have a buddy that shoots wheels and I can take his bow and shoot pretty good right off the bat, but when he tries my longbow he doesn't do quiet so well.  He kills more deer every year than I do, so I would say his bow is more effective.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©