3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Time Turkey Hunter  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
First Time Turkey Hunter
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
I have never hunted - or been in a place where turkey were abundant enough to really get into it.  This week I camped at a spot in Illinois where the turkey were so thick it was almost comical.  First night I had a gobbler run right at my brush blind to a distance of 10 feet before he spotted my outline and darted away.  He never presented a shot and this was without calling (I was deer hunting).  There was another one in a tree above me that never showed any sign of interest or fear even though he noticed me.

The next morning, I hear a gobbler call about 100 yards away, so I decided to imitate the hen's cluck with my voice.  Amazingly, he responded, so I kept up the conversation as he started my way, cutting the distance in half.  All at once behind me, another gobbler let loose so I teased him in.  Evidently he didn't want competition even though it's not mating season and when I clucked a couple times, he charged in as if looking for a fight.

My nimrod mistake was to cluck after he was within 15 feet - but behind brush.  I should have shut up!  He finally got an eyeball on me and took off at a dead run!  My it was fun.

Later that afternoon I was squirrel hunting (no bow this time) and I jumped two jakes who just stood there and gawked at me from 10 feet!  Clear shot, no brush and no apparent sign of alarm...and NO BOW!  After about 5 seconds they ran away and flew up into a huge white pine!

I'm hooked.  Now I have to read up on turkey calling and get a couple calls...although I did pretty well with just my voice.

Dan

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Time Turkey Hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
Dan they do that to you until you spend a few thousand dolars on blinds, calls, decoys, camoflage, etc and then they never come near you again.

You just fell for the oldest turkey trick in the book.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »
Do not do it,,, it is as addicting as deer hunting & bows.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
gobble gobble
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
Hey Dan, If you are serious about turkey calling/hunting and are planning on starting out with a diaphragm I would recommend starting out with a single or double reed call to learn on. I started out with a slate call but really prefer a diaphragm. I carry both. Some of the best Schooling is just being out there with the birds and mimicking what they are doing. Movement has to be minimal if not nonexistent. Spring hunting will allow you to make more errors. I have taken several nice birds. Just thought you may be able to use this advice.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
Appreciate any and all advice...except to quit!  I won't rest until I have bagged a bird!  

Dan

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »
I feel sorry for you. Looks like your hooked deep. Put a decoy on a string and move it around a little they will focus on the dec and give you a shot. MAYBE. Set up on the edge of a feild. I have killed 14 -15 this way without a blind. Hide so all you have to do is draw. Set your dec about 15 yards and wait till they strut with fan to you and draw. I have waited 2 hrs for the right shot. Twice. Be patient once they are in to you. No hurry.  :)  Sorry about this sickness you have cought.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks again.  

Dan

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
Dan, I have good luck with a diaphragm and a box call. The diaphram call was hard to get good at but it was realy nice when the birds got in close and I needed both hands to hold my bow. The box call was simple to use, but I had a hard time getting one I liked. Dont get one of the all weather calls, the all weather stuff went to crap after a few weeks of playing around with it. Test them out in the store and see what you like, that is alot of fun.

A blind is nice but I did it without (lucky, yes).

I like 2 decoys, a hen and a jake. Put them out at around 10 yards facing you. What should happen is the tom will circle around them so that they are looking at him, this gives you a great chance to draw and a perfect Texas hart shoot. They can see 360 so it is best if they fan out their tail, but what are the chances of that.  

Sorry if I sound like I know anything about this because I dont. I have only hunted Turkey in the spring once, all things worked out and I got a bird. The guy I went with was great and he taught me alot. I got my bird in the first 30 min, so the rest of the trip I called for him.

It was one of the best times I ever had in the woods, ticks and all. They are just so nuts in the spring.    

Now ya got me all worked up, how many days tell season?

Good luck, it is a blast.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »
Turkeys are a blast and real plentiful out here. You're in for some fun and frustration now.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline trh1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 02:46:00 AM »
I look forward every spring for turkey season. By the end of a 6 week season I usually drop 10 to 15 lbs. It is adictive!! If you can find a turkey hunter that will take you under his wing; you will learn what would take years on your own in a short time.I keep a diaphram in my pocket all the time and practice with it.My wife hates every spring cuz I am practicing up on my calls. It drives her crazy..  :banghead:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 06:53:00 AM »
I love to hunt turkeys, i have been hunting them since the early 80's. I always carry a lot of calls just in case but usually stick to a few basic ones. Mouth calls are good to get that bird to commit to the last few steps if need be. But my favorite is a water proof slate type call with a weather proof striker and a wood peg also. In the spring you will be dealing with rain so it is good to practice your calling for those conditions as you will get different sounds in wet weather. Box calls are good for locating long distance and in wind they also can be had in weather resistant types. My advice to you would be unless the bird is super hot and on a mission of suicide, you need to call softly and sparingly. I have killed more turkeys with just a simple cluck and purr done very soft than all the other calling put together. When those birds get henned up and call shy soft calling used sparingly will do the trick for you. Decoy work most of the time sometimes better in the early season when the vegetation is still thin, later in the season unless your on the edge of a field leave them in the vehicle you won't need them. They can scare birds also if they get wise to them i have seen it work both ways. There are many good techniques but one of the best is to have a lot of patience, sometimes you need to move but if you can hold your ground do it. It seems once you move that is when they start there game of going to the spot you just left and when your alone that is a bad thing. Just a few things that has worked for me over the years. Good luck by now you are already hooked and there is no hope of going back.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
I was just so surprised at how fast this turkey came in to my hen clucks.  I mean, it's winter for crying out loud, not mating season.  But he charged right to my lane looking for something.  I wish I'd have actually been turkey hunting and not deer hunting, or I'd have borrowed my buddy's decoy.

Dan

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
Dan,

This will be my first year of serious bowhunting for turkeys in the spring.

I have read and re-read the book "Bowhunting for Turkeys" by Jack Brobst which was recommended by several people on this site.  It is full of useful info, and he really knows his stuff.

Hopefully, things work out this spring.

Good luck,

Lee

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »
Dan, those Eastern's are one tough critter to hunt with a traditional bow! I have hunted for many years and taken several turkeys with my shotgun but have yet to take one with my bow. The biggest reason for my lack of success with the bow is becasue I usually seem to have a gun in my hand when turkey hunting. I always draw the 7 day season here on public land and it takes time and devotion to get one with a bow so the last day or 2 I usually take the scatttergun out. What can I say, I love the taste of wild turkey!
A blind is a must unless you have the skills of Don Thomas or TJ Conrads, which make stalking the birds seem easy!   :bigsmyl:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this spring! I have a line on a lease that has some bruiser bucks on it and LOT of turkey. It is not uncommon to see 40-50 birds in a flock. I'm going to have to do some thing about that!LOL!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©