3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back To British Columbia  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: Back To British Columbia
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Keep the pics comming! Goat hunting is top on my list too!

A.K
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Al, I'd be glad to.

Brian is booked with the same outfitter I hunted goats with in 05. I was giving him a taste of what to expect.

My guide,Spike Lewis and I are glassing for goats here. They are amazing animals and live in the most beautiful places on earth.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
The adventure actually starts with the plane ride thru a tight valley and then a landing on a glacier fed lake.

Jack Shanks

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
One of Mooseman's (Michael's) Moose at sunset up in BC. What a place to be. Everyone who loves to bowhunt in true wild places should get to British Columbia at least once. About my 2nd day in BC I knew I would be coming back. October 2009 I am chasing Moose. Good luck with the goats.
John III

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
I'm thinking of booking with the same oufitter as Jacob for a BC goat hunt. I'm yet to talk to the outfitter in regards to the waiting list but thats one animal I'm soooo keen to hunt.

Just love all the pics too. I've 'em saved on my puter to look in on & dream away.....
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
I'm hunting with the same outfitter Jacob hunted with. Troy still had a couple of openings for this year when I last talked with him a few weeks ago.

Another picture of the Coast Mountains BC.

Jack Shanks

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Oh man, those pictures are simply beautiful.  I'd also love to see more.  Goats are on my short list also.  Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
Hey Jack, you take some great pics! Thanks for sharing 'em!

I've now got a camera & will be taking some shots when next I head to the mountains.

Good hunting & I hope you get up close & personal to many goats.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
John,

The area Michael and I hunted in 06 for goats was also a beautiful place. I'll see if I can find some pictures from that trip and post them later.

Matt, the pictures really don't capture all the beauty. You owe it to yourself to go and experience it first hand.

Thanks Brandie, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pictures now.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
John,

Here's a picture of the goat mountain that Michael Schneider and I hunted in 06. It took us more than a day of hard backpacking to reach the spot this picture was taken and another two days of hard backpacking and climbing to reach the goats. There was a group of six billies hanging out just under the snow on the slope in the middle of the picture. We weren't able to get within bow range of a billy before running out of time. Toughest hunt I have ever been on.

Jack Shanks

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
What beautiful country! I would stop to "look" out over the mountains and drink them in. Michael would smile a bit and tell me he did the same thing for his first ten years in BC. Jack thank you for this thread. I've been reliving the memories from last May. I can hardly wait til next year to go back.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Michael and I spent a hard six hours climbing the mountain above where we were camped. We had glassed some goat tracks in the snow and wanted to see if we could find some goats up there that were closer than the ones we were seeing that were two days away from camp. We didn't find anything but I took this picture of the goat mountain before we headed back down. We took a different route going down but it wasn't any better than the way up. We needed to spend the next day in camp just glassing and resting up while we picked devels club thorns out of our bodies. Did I mention what a tough hunt this was?

We were seeing two groups of goats on the green slope in the center of the picture. In one group was nine nannies and kids the other contained six billies.

Michaels friend from Germany, Patrick had come along on the hunt just for the fun of it. While Michael and I were climbing the mountain he hiked several hours back in the direction we came in to retreive some hip boots from a trappers cabin. We would need them for fording the glacier stream we had to follow to reach the goat mountain.

Jack Shanks

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I hear you Jack.  The ticking of the clock gets louder and louder in my ear every year and I realize more acutely that the things I am doing now and the places I get to go will not always be there for me.  I'm always telling young guys to find a way, do what ever it takes, but do it now!  Don't dream about someday - make it happen now.  Sure wish I had started doing some of these trips earlier - now I'm trying to make up for lost time.
I agree!!!!!

I'd rather die in debt up to my eyeballs than look back from my deathbed saying "I wish..."

I keep trying to talk my buds into going on hunts with me and they always come up with some kind of excuse.I tell them if they keep putting it off it's NEVER going to happen.I mean.....instead of spending $3500 on a darn new dining room table or some such nonsense.......go hunting to one of your dream places.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Not a truer word said Mr Varmint! I'm trying to sort out what animal to hunt first, black bear or goats in BC. I like the outfit Don T wrote about in the last TBM. Has me in two minds it has!

A.K

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Take the goats first. Black bears are all over the place. We ahve more bears in the yukon than people...take a goat

Jer Bear  :thumbsup:

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 04:21:00 AM »
Black bear hunting can be scenic too   :D  

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »
And wet !!

Jack, good luck buddy
Hows your back doing ?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
The foliage along the route we needed to get to the goat mountain made travel difficult. There were few game trails to follow so this is where the waders came in. We followed the glacier stream crossing often to stay on gravel bars and wading where the water wasn't too deep.  

Michael had brought along the type of waders that were supposed to be worn with wading boots figuring we would only need them to make a few crossings. I'm not sure if this is where the German engineering came in or not? But we made him a set of boots out of duct tape.

Patrick and I had the more conventional type of hip boots.

We were able to make it from our first camp to the base of the goat mountain in only seven hours by doing this. It probably would have taken twice as long without the waders.
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Oh, and thanks Jacob my back is much better. Almost back to normal.
Jack Shanks

Offline sealevel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Yup BC is a great place to live and hunt.But the hunting for the most part is not easy . Pretty much all of BC except for the north east corner is steep and thick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©