3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3-D courses open in Michigan?  (Read 788 times)

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
3-D courses open in Michigan?
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Any Michigan guys know of some 3-D courses open to the public this time of year?
lll

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3-D courses open in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
The outdoor course that I go to doesn't open until end of March early April depending on the snow.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Sunday Jan 20, we will have a 30 target 3D course open to the public.

www.landolakesbowmen.com

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks Steve. I've seen that one but didn't know they were open and it's 3 hour away. Any Trad guys going?

We have one open by Cadillac but the targets are missing a head or some other part and are pretty beat up.
lll

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
CJ,

Lots of trad guys...seems like the majority of the guys that are involved and help with the shoot are trad guys, but anybody out shooting 3d in January is pretty dedicated.  That IS a haul for you...if I were going to come to one, I would be there for the August Shoot, the Joe Vincent Memorial; we do it up right!

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
I recommend you make it happen.  I am the archery activity director at our local club and if I had two guys willing to work 3-D shoots through the winter I would open the course.  Find a club near you and get involved.  Draft a buddy to join with you.  Clubs love to have things happening, especially if they can make a buck or two, and two people would be enough to make a shoot happen at most places.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
Larry, no clubs up here. Just local guys that buy 30 targets and set them up in the back 40. It's pretty nice but summers only.

I'll see you at Kzoo and I might have a little money too.

CJ
lll

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
CJ,

You may want to get a hold of Ray Lyon.  He is a member here, but more imprtantly, he is the Michigan Bowhunters Governor for your area.  He may have more information.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks Steve. I guess the MBH local has a spring shoot at a place close to TC that I shoot at in the summer but they pull the targets in the winter and there's not much else. The archery shop here in town does the a indoor video thing but have not tried it. Maybe I'll just shoot in the backyard or stumps. Is that a GSP in your pic?
lll

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
I like Land O lakes, They really know how to set up for traditional shooter's. I am member of oakland county sportsmen club and our first shoot is feb 10, 3-D varmit shoot. MBH has a shoot schedule on line for 3-D shoot's around Michigan, check there website out for shoot's near you. Hey Steve O I think I will be there for that shoot this month, I like shooting at your club, Mark
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Give the video thing a try. Its a blast!
There used to be a couple 3D courses In Leslie that used to have shoots in the winter. Me and a couple friends used to drive an hour to shoot. The old guy that used to run it would always be looking for us. There would be maybe 20-30 shooters at most. Both clubs are closed now and the old guy has passed on so now we go rabbit hunting with our bows and shoot the video screen once in a while during winter.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
There used to be a group of guys that shot indoor 3D in T.C. It was in an archery or sportsmans club off of 37 south of Jim's place. (can't think of Jim's store at the moment) It was west of 37, before the big hill I think. There is a Tractor place on the corner of 37 and the road. It has been 4-5 yrs since I been there, not sure if they still do it or not. I realize the directions I am giving stink, but it is all I can remember at the moment, I'll think on it some more........other wise, head up the big busy road, over the bridge, to the big tree, take a left at the tractor, go down yonder to the pole building.......just kiddin.
There was a gentleman in the club (Steve maybe) who had a bike shop (H.D. etc..) towards...ah crap, west of chums corners.

Sorry not much help I guess. It may have been called Grand Traverse Sportsmans Club.

Andy

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
Thanks Andy. I know were the Sportsman Club and I've seen hay bales there with paper targets but not much else but I'll some of those guys from that link.

I'll stop in at the archery store and take a look at the video shoot too. Thanks Doug.
lll

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
We have a traditional league (indoor) here in Cadillac every Saturday morning at 9am. (FPS Archery on Boon Road)  Paper animal targets from 8 to 25 yards.  It is pretty informal and we have a ton of fun.

Anyone that is interested in shooting is welcome.  Last Saturday was the first week and the league runs for 12 weeks.  If you can only make it a time or two, no problem.

Send me a PM if you need more information.  Anyone and everyone is welcome.

Lenny

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
They used to do an indoor shoot on Tue. or Wed. it was trad only. I can't remember if they used 3D targets or just paper deer, turkey, etc... silhouettes over target buts. It was fun, and a good bunch of guy's. As for the other outdoor 3D, if you are talking about Rons Hilltop archery (or something like that) it doesn't surprise me that his targets are pretty beat up. If you ever get down G.R. way look me up, we'll do some shootin'

Andy

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I forgot to mention, FPS has a video shoot also.  If you are interesed in doing that, you should probably make an appointment because it stays pretty busy throughout the winter.  I think it can be set for 4 shooters to shoot simultaniously.  (maybe more)

As Doug said above, the video is a blast.

I should also mention that the video system requires that you use special tips.  If you shoot woods, you may want to get a half dozen aluminums or carbons so the tips can be screwed in.  If I'm not mistaken, 3Rivers sells glue on video tips or you can also get glue on adapters that have a threaded insert to accept any screw in point.  I have a half dozen wood arrows set up with the adapters just in case I want to use wood arrows.

FPS has a supply of screw in tips that you can use for the video system in 85, 100, and 125 grain so you dont have to worry about having your own.

Lenny

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
The chelsea rod & gun club has A 3-D shoot the first sunday of every month. The club is in chelsea in the heart of the waterloo rec area,we have approx 80acres and the course is throghout the property.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
Sunday Jan 20, we will have a 30 target 3D course open to the public.

www.landolakesbowmen.com  
I think I'm going to be able to make this one...when does it start?

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm late to shoot right now...

Sunday doors open at 8:30 shooting starts right after you register.

Guys that are coming pm me.  I usually help Saturday to set up the course and am not around much on Sunday (church & family stuff) but sometimes I am there real early to shoot (member perk  :D  ) and am getting done about the time we open.

Steve Osminski

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©