3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: favorite longbow quiver  (Read 992 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
favorite longbow quiver
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
hey guys i will be getting my first longbow in sometime this month and i have no experince with a longbow. I have only used bow quivers on my recurves but i wouldnt mind trying out a back? maybe a hip? But i want a quiver that i can hunt with comfortably also. So what is your favorite quiver you use for your longbow?
Thanks for any input
-Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: favorite longbow quiver
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I do not like to put bow quivers on my long bows. I use a Selway broadhead hip quiver for hunting with my long bows. I've hunted on the ground, in blinds, on tri-pods and ladder stands with never a problem. The Mantis quiver by Shrew archery also looks interesting to me. Good luck and good hunting.  :thumbsup:

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I use the Hipster in the HowTo department.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
I prefer a back-quiver.  I have hunted with bow quivers, but I am never satisfied with how the arrows off set the bow!  I got my eye on one of those strap over the shoulder side quiver, made by Art Vincent, at Cedar Ridge Leather Works.   Think that would work with the back-pak I use.             :thumbsup:

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
It depends on the bow. I have a Morrison Dakota that the BOA small fry fits just perfect. My other longbow is a narrow limb deep core and the Great Northern is just the ticket on it.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
My favorite longbow quiver is the one that's missing one, and only one, arrow ... after a successful hunt! If it holds water and looks and feels good to you, get some. dave

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I bought an'inexpensive ' bow quiver several years ago. It has the velcro straps that hold it to the limbs. The problem I have had is that I can't get the straps tight enough to stay in place after a few shots. This year, I cut four pieces of rubber from a file cleaner and put them under the straps. Problem solved. However, if I was to buy another bow quiver, I would lean toward the selway slide on. My friend has one and never has problems with it even when he changes bows. Mike

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
EFA Quiver!  No weight problems, quick on and off!  Great Quiver!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
EFA quiver , check them out !

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
EFA No Doubt about it!!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
I really like the Great Northern adjustable on my longbows.  I like the weight it adds, the rods keep it in place and I think it makes the bow just a little quieter...Mike

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Thunderhorn Small Fry Boa. Not as small as the EFA but smaller than the full size, hangs on well, and looks good.     Jr.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Well, as much as I hate to say it, mine used to be the EFA. But it has kept slipping on the limbs of my longbows so I bought a Kanati quiver and it stays put! I also prefer the kanati because it is set back, like the Great Northern, giving my bow hand more room.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Atlatlzoom, it is essential that the rubber/leather material be trimmed back as it states in the directions that should have come with the quiver. If that is done, and the quiver is then installed tightly, then it should stay put.

In more extreme situations you can put double face tape under the quiver which really locks it down.

We go to great lengths to make a quality product at a weight that it about half of what the competition is. We will also go to great lengths to make sure it works for you. Give me a call. I sent you an email.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Go to stickbow.com and look up a post "Home made longbow quiver". You might like the design. It stays in place and is an easy on and off quiver without having to unstring the bow.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
I like my Thunderhorn Boa quiver the best,easy on and off.It feels better balanced then the other quivers I have tried.A personal preference.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I like a quiver than can be instantly attached/detached so I have used Kwikee Kwivers for the past twenty years. For less than what it costs to buy a lot of the "traditional" looking bow quivers that attach to the bow LIMBS (which I personally do not like), I was able to have a local leathersmith customize my Kwikees for me to match my Widows.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/northernmichigan/IMG_0895.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/northernmichigan/IMG_0897.jpg  

"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 04:36:00 AM »
One trick is to use barge cement or use some 33M electrical splice tape on the limbs where the quiver attaches to.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
I use the EFA on all my Longbows,but still take them off when in the stand.Never could get used to a quiver on a bow,even in my wheelie days it ALWAYS came off once the hunting started.I like a bare bow.I mainly use them to stow arrows while in transit.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©